Cadbury (near Thorverton)
Cadbury Castle, an Iron Age fort where Roman coins have been found.
|Cadebirie / Cadabiria: William de Poilley. Cob.|
|Cadelie / lia: William Cheever; William the king's servant. Mill. 130 sheep.|
Caffyns Heanton Farm near Caffyns Heanton Down.
|Hantone / tona: Ralph de Pomeroy. 13 cattle, 20 goats.|
|Calodelie / leia: Godric from the king.|
Canonsleigh Farm with the ruins of a 12th century priory.
|Leige / Leiga: Walter de Claville.|
Canonteign Barton; Canonteign House.
|Teigne / Teigna: Geoffrey de Trelly from Bishop of Coutances. Cob.|
Old stannary town for assessing and stamping tin. On the edge of Dartmoor and surrounded by prehistoric hut circles and standing stones.
|Cage- / Chageford / Cage- / Kagefort: Bishop of Coutances; Ralph Pagnell.|
On the edge of Exmoor, with Chapman Barrows, grave mounds with a standing stone.
|Celdecome / comba: Bishop of Coutances. 11 cattle, 19 goats.|
|Lege / Lega: William de Poilley. 110 sheep.|
Chardstock Court, dating from the 14th century.
|Cerdestoche: Sherborne Church.|
Charford Manor, now a hotel.
|Chereford(a): Buckfast Church.|
Richard Blackmore wrote much of Lorna Doone here.
|Carmes: Robert from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
Now 2 villages, East and West Charleton.
|Cheletone / tona: Iudhael of Totnes. 2 cobs.|
|Calvelie / leia: Baldwin the Sheriff. 20 cattle, 200 sheep.|
|Cadel / Cheledone / Cha(d)eledona: Walter from Baldwin the Sheriff; Ansger, formerly Mathilda.|
Cheriton (in Brendon)
|Ciretone / tona: Ralph de Pomeroy. 27 cattle.|
Cheriton (in Payhembury)
Now 2 hamlets, Lower and Higher Cheriton.
|Cherletone / tona: Bretel from Count of Mortain.|
Church with a Norman font shaped like a sheaf of corn.
|Ceritone / tona: Godwin from the king.|
Thatched Tudor and Georgian cottages; 16th century almshouses.
|Cerintone / tona: Theobald FitzBerner.|
|Chetelscome / Chettelescoma: Ansger from Baldwin the Sheriff. Mill.|
Elizabethan Chevithorne Barton nearby.
|Chenetorne / Chevetorna / Chiveorne / -orna: Rogo from Baldwin the Sheriff; Beatrix from Ralph de Pomeroy. 15 cattle.|
|Cicecote / cota: Roger from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
|Cedelintone / tona: King's land. 157 sheep.|
|Chelesworde / sorda: Colwin from the king. 15 cattle.|
Chilton (in Cheriton Fitzpaine)
|Cilletone / -tona / Cillitone: Odo FitzGamelin. Cob.|
On the River Exe.
|Chiderlie / Chederlia: Alfred from Count of Mortain.|
Tiny; Chittleburn Wood.
|Chichelesberie / beria: William from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Church, named after St. Heiritha, a Celtic martyr.
|Curem'tone / Citremetona: Godwin from the king.|
|Cheveletone / tona: Ralph from Iudhael of Totnes.|
|Chenistetone / tona: Roger from Bishop of Exeter. Cob.|
Small town, mainly Georgian. Colleton Barton nearby has the gatehouse and chapel from the medieval house.
|Calmonleuge / Chalmonleuga: Baldwin the Sheriff. 60 cattle, 400 sheep.|
|Cercelle / Cercilla: Norman from William de Falaise. 100 sheep.|
On the outskirts of Brixham. Churston Court is 17th century with a walled garden.
|Cerecetone / Cercitona: Iudhael of Totnes. Cob, 120 sheep.|
Clannaborough Barton; tiny church.
|Cloenesberg(a): Ralph de Pomeroy from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
Church with a Norman font with cable decoration and carved heads.
|Clavetone / tona: Iudhael of Totnes. 47 cattle, 200 sheep.|
|Clehangre / hangra: Robert from William de Mohun.|
View of the Vale of Taunton; memorial obelisk to the Duke of Wellington.
|Hidone / dona: Otelin from Baldwin the Sheriff. Mill. 22 cattle, 27 goats.|
Clifford Barton, an old farm; 17th century Clifford Bridge.
|Cliford(e) / forda / fort: Stephen from Baldwin the Sheriff; Godbold. 142 sheep.|
Clovelly Dykes, Iron Age earthworks.
|Clovelie / leia: King's land. 45 cattle, 100 sheep.|
Clyst Gerred Farm.
|Clist: Osbern de Sacey. 27 goats.|
18th century Chelves Hayes, house with Georgian plasterwork.
|Clist: Otelin from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
Clyst St. George
Traditionally Devonian, with red brick and red earth.
|Chisewic / Clisewic: Roger from Ralph de Pomeroy, formerly Viking.|
Clyst St. Lawrence
|Clist: Alward, the pre-Conquest holder; from Count of Mortain. 38 goats.|
Clyst St. Mary
14th century bridge. Winslade House was the site of the insurrection when the first English Prayer Book was introduced in 1549.
|Cliste / Clista: Bishop of Coutances. Cob, 10 cattle.|
|Clist: Edwin from the king.|
Thatched cottages; watermill; forge.
|Cochintone / Chochintona: William de Falaise. Cob, 159 sheep, 42 goats.|
|Codeford / aforda: Odo from the king.|
Large prehistoric camp on Milber Down.
|Welle / Willa: Grenta, a man-at-arms, from Tavistock Church.|
Place Court, a medieval manor house, owned by Sir Walter Raleigh's family.
|Coletone / tona: King's land, formerly Earl Harold. Mill. 5 wild mares.|
On a hilltop north of Dartmoor.
|Colrige / riga: Bishop of Coutances.|
|Coltrestan: Thorgils from Iudhael of Totnes. 22 goats.|
Colebrook (in Cullompton)
|Colebroch(e) / broca: Manfred from William Cheever. 25 goats.|
Coleridge (in Egg Buckland)
Part of Plymouth.
|Colrige: Odo from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Coleridge (in Stokenham)
|Colrige / riga: Alric from Aelfeva from Walter de Douai.|
|Coletone / -tona: Warin from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Collacombe Barton near Collacombe Down.
|Colecome / Colacoma: Robert d'Aumale. 14 cattle, 20 goats (with Ottery and Willestrew).|
Collaton (in Marlborough)
|Coletone / -tona: Thorgils from Iudhael of Totnes.|
|Colsovenescote / cota: Alward, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.|
Columbjohm On the River Culm.
Colwell Barton. The hamlet of West Colwell is nearby.
|Colewille / willa: Roger from Baldwin the Sheriff. 20 goats.|
Saxon settlement c.700AD. Pieces of a Saxon Cross were found in the church. During the reign of Henry VIII, a group of Colyton men, the Feoffees, founded the grammar school and built the town hall.
|Culitone: King's land. Mill, church.|
Combe (in south Pool)
Some houses near Prawle Point.
|Cumbe / Conba: William from Iudhael of Totnes.|
|Cumbe / Comba: Ralph de Pomeroy from Iudhael of Totnes.|
In a combe leading to the Teign Estuary; Bourchier Almshouses, built in 1620.
|Cumbe / Comba: William Cheever.|
Once known for lead and silver mines.
|Cumbe / Comba: William de Falaise. 21 cattle, 140 sheep.|
Chantry House, built in 1498 probably for village priest.
|Otri: Hubert from Walter de Douai. 38 cattle, 28 pigs, 200 sheep, 50 goats, 4 wild mares.|
|Cumbe: Osbern from Robert Bastard.|
Combe Sackville Lost.
13th century church with Saxon foundations.
|Come / Coma: Odo from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
Part of Plymouth.
|Contone: Stephen from Iudhael of Totnes.|
|Wiche / Wicha: Robert d'Aumale, formerly Wulfrun, a free woman.|
Coombe (in Cheriton Fitzpaine)
|Cumbe / Comba: Jagelin from Theobald FitzBerner.|
Coombe (in Cruwys Morchard) Tiny.
Coombe (in Drewsteignton)
|Cume / Cuma: Godwin from the king.|
Coombe (in Templeton)
Now 2 hamlets, North and South Combe.
|Come / Coma: Bishop of Coutances. 20 cattle.|
Coombe (in Uplowman)
|Come / Coma / Conma: Walter the Wild from Walter de Claville; Gotshelm. Mill.|
On Dartmoor, surrounded by prehistoric remains.
|Cornehode / huda: Reginald from Count of Mortain. 3 unbroken mares, 10 cattle, 22 goats.|
14th century gatehouse remains from an Augustian priory.
|Corneorde / orda: Iudhael of Totnes. Mill, fishery (30 salmon). 140 sheep.|
|Coriton / tona: Drogo from Bishop of Coutances.|
|Cotelei / leia: Richard from Count of Mortain.|
Roman signal station on Old Barrow Hill; earthwork on Wind Hill, where a battle with the Danes was fought in 873.
|Contesberie / beria: William Cheever. Cob, 24 pigs, 300 sheep, 35 goats.|
On the River Lowman.
|Lonmele / -mela / Lonnela / Lonmine / mina: Walter de Claville. Cob, 20 cattle.|
Creacombe (in Newton Ferrers)
|Crawecome / coma: Alfred le Breton.|
Creacombe (near Witheridge)
|Crawecome / Crabecoma / Crahecome / Crawecoma: Ansger from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
|Cravelech / lec: Edmer from the Bishop of Coutances.|
Mainly Georgian and Victorian market town. St. Boniface, missionary to the Germans, born here (680). 10th century Crediton was the seat of the Devon bishopric, which then moved to Exeter because of the Danish threat. The church dates from 1150.
|Criteton / Chritetona / Chrietona: Bishop of Exeter. Mill. 64 cattle, 57 pigs, 400 sheep, 125 goats.|
|Crochewelle / wella: Reginald from Roald Dubbed.|
|Cruc: William, the king's servant.|
Also Croyde Bay, a hamlet on the coast.
|Crideholde / holda: Erchenbald from Count of Mortain. 11 cattle, 100 sheep.|
Some houses. Estate farmed by the Cruwys family since the 13th century.
|Morceth / cet / ceta / Morchet: Bishop of Coutances; William Cheever. 13 cattle, 200 sheep.|
|Colelie / leia: Erchenbald from Count of Mortain.|
Small town with houses built by wood merchants. The Church has a Golgotha wood-carving of skulls, bones and rocks.
|Colitone / tona: Battle Church. Church.|
|Cumbe / Comba: Oliver from Theobald FitzBerner. Mill. 20 cattle.|
Culm Pyne Barton.
|Colun: Otelin from Baldwin the Sheriff. Mill. 20 goats.|
Quaker Meeting House founded in 1650 and rebuilt in 1815.
|Clumestoche / stocha: Bishop of Exeter. Mill.|
Culm Vale Area on the River Exe.
|Coltesworde / shorda: Colwin, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.|
|Cochalescome / coma: Drogo from Count of Mortain.|
|Cortescanole / ola: Ralph de Pomeroy from Iudhael of Totnes.|
|Corneurde / Corneorda: 3 thanes, the pre-Conquest holder, from Alfred le Breton.|