Baccamoor Waste, on heathland.
| Bachemore / mora: Ralph from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Now West Backstone.
| Bachestane: Robert Bastard.|
| Bicheordin: Fulcwold from William Cheever.|
| Bachedone / dona: Osbern from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Bagtor House near Bag Tor.
| Bagetore / Bagathora: Roger from Nicholas the Bowman.|
The church has the base of a Saxon cross.
| Baden / Baen / Bentone / Badentone / entone / Baentona: Walter de Douai and Rademar and Gerard from him. Mill. 2 cobs, 50 goats. Small market town.|
Now 2 hamlets, Middle and Great Barlington.
| Baldrintone / tona: King's land.|
Main market town of north Devon, it received its town charter from King Aethelstan in 930. Birthplace of John Gay (1685-1732), who wrote The Beggars Opera.
| Barnestapla / staple / Bardestapla / Barnestabla: Royal Borough; Bishop of Coutances; Baldwin the Sheriff; Robert d'Aumale; Robert de Beaumont. Mill.|
| Badestane / tana: Hugh from Count of Mortain.|
Now Battisborough Cross.
| Bachetesberia / Bacetesberia: Alfred le Breton.|
| Botesforde / forda: William de Poilley.|
| Bacheleford: William from Alfred le Breton.|
| Baverdone / dona: King's land. 14 cattle, 28 goats.|
Now Beara Charter Barton.
| Bera: Bishop of Coutances. 10 goats.|
St. Alban's Church with carved Norman capitals.
| Beguerde / eurda: William de Poilley. 20 cattle.|
Beer (in Offwell) Lost.
Beer (near Seaton)
Stone quarries in use since Roman times.
| Horton Church. 100 sheep; 4 salthouses, taken from the church were held by Drogo from Count of Mortain.|
| Begatore / tora: Ansger from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
Prehistoric stone circle, the Nine Maidens, nearby.
| Belestham / Bellestam: Richard from Baldwin the Sheriff. 10 goats.|
| Botintone / tona / Bontintona: Bishop of Exeter, given to him by Count of Mortai in exchange for a castle in Cornwall.|
At the meeting of the Rivers Tavy and Tamar.
| Birland / landa: Reginald from Count of Mortain. 11 goats.|
Near the church, manor house, c.1480, of the Berry family.
| Hurtesberie / beria: Walter de Douai. 200 sheep, 83 goats.|
| Bicheford / forda: Robert Bastard; Aldred the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.|
Bickham Barton near Bickham Moor.
| Bichecome / coma: Robert of Hereford from Robert d'Aumale. 10 goats.|
Bickleigh (near Plymouth)
13th century church with a Norman font.
| Bichelie / leia: William de Poilley. Fishery. 146 sheep.|
Bickleigh (near Silverton)
Bickleigh Castle, rebuilt in Tudor times, with a Norman gatehouse and chapel opposite.
| Bichelie / lia: Alward from Count of Mortain. Mill.|
| Picaltone / tona: Bernard from Thoebald FitzBerner.|
Bicton House, c.1730, now the Devon School of Agriculture.
| Bechetone / Bechatona: William the Porter, the king's servant. Cob.|
Small port and market town, granted its market charter in 1272. Timber of the original 13th century bridge was rediscovered in 1925.
| Bedeford / Bediforda: King's land. 18 cattle, 300 sheep.|
| Bicheberie / beria: Reginald de Vautortes from Count of Mortain. Salthouse. 107 sheep.|
First granted to Aelfhane in 974, when it was called Nymet, the old name for the River Yeo.
| Nimetone / tona: Bishop of Exeter. Mill.|
Turreted farmhouse, once part of a palace of the Bishops of Exeter.
| Tautone / Taintona: Bishop of Exeter. 15 cattle, 153 sheep.|
Ruins of Bishop Grandisson's summer palace, 1332, nearby.
| Tantone / Taintona: Bishop of Exeter. 24 salthouses. 37 cattle, 410 sheep, 40 goats.|
| Bededone / dona: Bishop of Coutances. 135 sheep, 48 goats.|
Below Hanger Down.
| Blacheurde / eorde: Iudhael of Totnes; Robert Bastard.|
14th century church with a Norman font.
| Avetone / tona: King's land, formerly Asgar the Cramped. Salthouse. 120 sheep.|
| Blacheberge / beria / berie / Blacaberga: Baldwin the Sheriff; Ralph de Pomeroy; Ralph Botin from William the Usher, the king's servant. 15 cattle, 38 goats.|
Higher Blackpool Farm.
| Blachepole / Blacapola: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.|
Below Blackslade Down.
| Blachestach / tac / Bacheslac: Ralph de Pomeroy.|
| Torintone / tona: King's land. Formerly Earl Harold. 10 pigs, 200 sheep, 50 goats.|
| Blachegrave / Blacagrava / Blachagava: William de Poilley. 27 cattle.|
| Blachewelle / willa: Robert de Pont-Chardon from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
On the Tavy Estuary, with Blaxton Wood.
| Blachestane: Alfred le Breton. Salthouse.|
Now 2 hamlets, Boasley and Boasley Cross.
| Boslie / a: Rolf from Baldwin the Sheriff. 12 cattle.|
| Bihede / heda: Walter de Claville.|
| Boltesberie / beria / Boteberie / Botestesberia: Hugh and Richard from Count of Mortain.|
Bolham (in Tiverton)
| Boleham: William the Usher, the king's servant. Mill. Cob.|
Bolham Water (in Clayhidon)
| Boleham: Otelin from Baldwin the Sheriff. 10 cattle.|
Church with a Norman tympanum.
| Bolenei(a): Bishop of Coutances.|
Borough (in Bridgerule)
Small town named after the Tracey family. The original church is said to have been built by Sir William de Tracey in penance for his part in the murder of Thomas à Becket.
| Bovi: Bishop of Coutances. Mill. 30 cattle.|
| Cume / Coma: Reginald from Count of Mortain.|
Now 2 hamlets, Great and Little Bowley.
| Bovelie / lia: William de Poilley.|
| Bradeforde / forda: Iudhael of Totnes.|
Bradford (near Cookbury)
| Bradeford / fort: Baldwin the Sheriff.|
Bradford (in Pyworthy)
| Bradeford / fort: William from Iudhael Totnes.|
Bradford (in Witheridge)
Bradford Mill on the Little Dart River; also Bradford Barton near the hamlet of Bradford Tracy.
| Bradeford / forda: Beatrix, William's sister, from William Cheever.|
Now 2 hamlets, Middle and Great Bradley.
| Bradelie: Bishop of Coutances; Haimeric.|
| Bradenese / nesa: Alfred le Breton. Mill. 324 sheep.|
Partly Tudor manor house.
| Bradestone / tana: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.|
| Bradewelle / Bradeuilla: Ralph de Limesy.|
Remote; a large central square.
| Brawordine / Braor / Bravordina: Ralph de Pomeroy. 40 cattle, 30 unbroken mares, 120 sheep.|
Thatched 18th century cottages.
| Branford / fortune / fort / fortuna: Bishop of Coutances; Walter from Baldwin the Sheriff; Vitalis of Colyton from Baldwin the Sheriff; Walter de Claville. 35 cattle, 204 sheep.|
Belonged to Alfred in the 9th century and then given by Aethelstan to the Benedictine monks of Exeter in the 10th century.
| Branchescome / coma: Bishop of Exeter, for the canons' supplies. 150 sheep.|
Church dates from the 13th century and has wall paintings and a Norman font.
| Bratone / tona: Baldwin the Sheriff. 8 wild mares, 18 cattle.|
| Bratone / Brotone: Erchenbald from Count of Mortain. 40 pigs, 100 sheep.|
Town. Braunton Great Field is an example of the Saxon open strip system.
| Bracton / tona / Brantone / tona: King's land and Robert de Pont-Chardon from the King; Algar the priest. 200 sheep.|
Bray (in South Molton)
Now South Bray; also Bray Mill Cross; Bray Bridge.
| Brai: Bishop of Coutances; Alnoth from the king. Garden in Barnstaple.|
Brayley Barton near Brayley Hill.
| Bredelie / lia: Reginald from Odo FitzGamelin.|
Near Bremridge Wood.
| Bremerige: Bishop of Coutances. 22 goats.|
| Bristelesworde / shorda: Colwin from the king.|
Norman arch from the church was used as a gateway on the main road.
| Bidestou: Ralph de Pomeroy from Baldwin the Sheriff. 135 sheep.|
| Bredford / fort / Brideford / forda: Emma from her husband Baldwin the Sheriff; Iudhael of Totnes. 180 sheep, 38 goats.|
| Brige: Roald Dubbed. Mill.|
| Bredviche: Bishop of Coutances. 13 cattle.|
Brimblecombe Wood nearby.
| Bremelcome: Ansger de Montacute.|
Town, once a Roman settlement, with an Iron Age fort at Berry Head.
| Briseham: Iudhael of Totnes. 2 cobs, 200 sheep.|
Brixton (in Broadwood Kelly)
| Bristanestone / tona: Richard from Baldwin the Sheriff. 14 cattle.|
Brixton (in Shaugh Prior)
| Brictricestone / Bristrichestona: Ralph from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Brixton (near Yealmpton)
| Brisestone / tona: Iudhael of Totnes.|
| Bradeford / forda: Reginald from Count of Mortain.|
Broad Clyst House is Georgian. Killerton Park is a botanical garden with Killerton Clump, an Iron Age earthwork.
| Clistone / tona: King's land. Mill. 100 sheep.|
15th century Drewe Arms. Hembury Fort, largest Iron Age earthwork in Devon, nearby.
| Ham- / Han- / Henberie / -beria / Hain- / Hemberia: Odo FitzGamelin. Mill. 100 sheep.|
| Hamestone / Hamistona: Hamelin from Count of Mortain.|
| Bradelie / leia: Ralph from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Ruined 13th century chapel.
| Limet / Limete: Ralph de Bruyere from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
Church, 16th century stained-glass windows.
| Bradehode / hoda: Modbert from Baldwin the Sheriff. 13 cattle.|
Named after the Wyger family, who acquired the manor in 1273. Nearby, Wortham Manor is 15th century.
| Bradewode / e(w)oda: Nigel from Iudhael of Totnes. 31 cattle. 200 sheep.|
Now Higher Bruckland Farm and Lower Bruckland, a tiny hamlet.
| Brocheland / lande / landa: Geoffrey from Ralph de Pomeroy, formerly Aethelhard the monk.|
| Brigeford(a) / Brisford / forda: Godfrey the Chamberlain from Baldwin the Sheriff; Godfrey from Gotshelm; Godbold.|
Benedictine monks settled here in 1018; in 1147 abbey became Cistercian. The present building is mainly 20th century; a stone block in the churchyard may be the Norman altar.
| Bucfestra / Bulfestra: Buckfast Church.|
Buckland (in Braunton)
| Bocheland / lant: Godfrey from William Cheever. 26 goats.|
Buckland (in Dolton)
| Bocheland / Bocchelanda: Aelmer from Odo FitzGamelin. 14 cattle.|
Buckland (in Haccombe)
Part of Newton Abbot.
| Bocheland / landa: Robert from William Cheever. 25 goats.|
Buckland (in Thurlestone)
| Bocheland / landa: Hugh from Count of Mortain.|
Partly Tudor Orleigh Court nearby.
| Bocheland / landa: Ansger le Breton from Count of Mortain. 19 cattle, 150 sheep, 50 goats.|
| Bochelan(d): Bishop of Coutances. 16 cattle, 15 goats.|
Buckland in the Moor
Moorland site; Georgian Buckland Court.
| Bochelande / landa: Nicholas the Bowman. 20 goats.|
Named after a Cistercian abbey founded in 1278, later Sir Francis Drake's home and now a museum.
| Bocheland(a): William de Poilley. Salthouse, fishery. 20 cattle, 10 pigs, 130 sheep.|
Buckland Tout Saints
| Bocheland(a) / landa: Walter de Claville; Baldwin from Gotshelm. 26 goats.|
| Bochewis / Bochewys / Bochiywis: Theobald FitzBerner.|
Budshtad Creek in Plymouth.
| Bucheside: Alfred le Breton.|
Old farms; superb tithe barn. The church was built by Sir William Hankford, who imprisoned Prince Hal and later became his Chief Justice.
| Buchesworde / -surda / Bochesorda / -surda: Ansger le Breton from Count of Mortain. 100 sheep.|
| Boleborde / Bolehorda: Godric from the king. 40 goats.|
| Berlescome / coma: Walter de Claville. 22 cattle.|
Burn (in Silverton) Part of Tarrant Rushton hamlet.
Burrington (near Chulmleigh)
15th century church with a fine wooden screen.
| Bernintone / intona / Bernurtona: Tavistock Church and William Cheever and Geoffrey from the Abbot. 28 goats.|
Burrington (in Weston Peverel)
Burrington Way in Plymouth.
| Buretone / tona: Iudhael of Totnes.|
| Limet / Limete / Limeta: Otelin from Baldwin the Sheriff.|
Bury Barton with a chapel.
| Berie / Beria: Bishop of Exeter.|
| Burietescome / coma: Bishop of Coutances.|
| Botre- / Butreforde / Botreforda: Thorgils from Iudhael of Totnes.|
Hamlet of East Butterleigh nearby.
| Buterlei(a): Edwin, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.|
Bywood Farm, near Bywood Copse.
| Biude / Biuda: Walter de Claville, formerly Mathilda.|