[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Wiltshire A-D

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Alboldintone: King's land.
    On the River Avon.

    Wintreburne: Winchester Abbey.
    Addestone Farm on the River Till.

    Aldeborne: King's land, formerly Countess Gytha, mother of Harold. 4 mills, church.
    Bronze Age relics unearthed nearby; church with a Norman doorway and nave.

    Alwar(es)berie: Osbern the priest from the king; Engenwulf from Waleran Hunter; Edward, from the king. Church.
    Large; on the River Avon by the site of Clarendon Palace, where the Normans built the first known tile kiln. Ivy Church is based on the remains of an Augustinian priory founded by King Stephen in the 12th century.

    Fertesfeld: Aldred, the pre-Conquest holder, from the King.
    Alderstone Farm.

    Aldri(n)tone: Richard from Ralph de Mortimer; Walter; Hugh from Drogo FitzPoyntz. Mill, part of anotehr mill.

    All Cannings
    Caninge: St. Mary of Winchester before and after 1066. Mill.
    All Cannings Cross Farm on an Iron Age settlement site; Rybury Camp on a nearby hill, also Iron Age.

    Adelingtone: Alfred of Marlborough; 2 men-at-arms.
    Many ancient barrows.

    Allington (near Amesbury)
    Al(l)entone: King's land, formerly Earl Aubrey; Amesbury Church before and after 1066. Town with a mill.
    On the site of an old Roman road, by the River Bourne.

    Alton (in Figheldean)
    Eltone: John the Usher; Thurstan and Frawin.
    On the River Avon.

    Alton Barnes
    Aultone: Edward of Salisbury. Mill.
    On the path of a Saxon ridgeway; Adam's Grave, a prehistoric barrow.

    Alton Priors
    Awltone: Bishop of Winchester and William Shield from him. 2 mills.
    Knap Hill, the site of a Stone Age camp.

    Ambles / Ambresberie: King's land; 3 thanes, the pre-Conquest holders; Osmund from Edward of Salisbury. 8 mills.
    Town on the River Avon; Stonehenge and Woodhenge, both c.1500BC. In AD 980, Queen Elfrida founded a nunnery here.

    Anestige: Walter from Waleran Hunter; Aldred from the king. 2 mills.

    Aistone: St. Mary of Romsey; Edward, William and Englishmen. 3 mills.
    Now Steeple Ashton; possibly 11th century cross on the green; Ashton village nearby.

    Ashton Gifford

    Ashton Keynes
    Essitone: Cranborne Abbey before and after 1066. Mill.
    Sprawling; Aston Mill on Swill Brook.

    Avreberie: King's land; Reinbald the priest. Church.
    Surrounded by a megalithic stone circle, older even than Stonehenge. Silbury Hill, nearby, is the largest man-made hill in Europe, and dates from the same period.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Badeberie: Glastonbury Abbey. Mill.

    Bechesgete: Henry de Ferrers; Earl Roger. Churches, mill.
    Some houses.

    Barford (in Downton)
    Bereford: Engenold from Waleran Hunter.
    Barford Park; Barford Park Farm; Barford Down Farm; Barford Down.

    Barford St. Martin
    Berford: Berengar Giffard, formerly Earl Harold; John the Usher and Wado, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.
    On the River Nadder; by the Hamshill Ditches, ancient earthworks.

    Berrelege: Azor from the king.
    Lost in South Wraxall.

    Wili / Wilrenone: Humphrey de L'Isle. 2 mills.
    Bathampton House.

    Babestoche: Abbess of Wilton.

    Ballolechie: Aethelhelm from Edward of Salisbury.
    Baycliff Farm.

    Bachentune: Ansfrid from Gilbert de Breteuil.
    Near Harepit Way, an ancient earthwork.

    Bichenstoch: Abbess of Shaftesbury and Thurstan from her. Mill.

    Berment / Bimertone: Aiulf the Sheriff; Aldred from the king.
    Suburb of Salisbury; on the River Nadder. The poet George Herbert was rector from 1630 to 1633.

    B(r)evresbroc: William Delamere from William d'Eu; Nigel the Doctor.

    Bedesdene: Robert FitzGerald.
    Biddesden House.

    Bedestone: Thorketel from Humphrey de L'Isle.

    Bechenhalle: Gilbert de Breteuil.
    Ruins of Bincknoll Castle; Bincknoll Farm; Bincknoll Wood.

    Bishop's Canning
    Bishop of Salisbury and a priest, Ebrard, Herman, Quintin, Walter, Brictward, Alfward and the Reeve's wife from him. 6 mills.
    Many ancient earthworks, including the Wansdyke, a Saxon camp site.

    Biscopestreu: Edward of Salisbury. Mill.
    On the site of a Roman villa.

    Bluntes / Blontesdon: Robert from Edward of Salisbury; Ilbert from Humphrey de L'Isle; Edward the Sheriff in the king's hand. Mill.
    Now the village of Broad Blunsdon with an Iron Age fort nearby, and the neighbouring village of Blunsdon St. Andrew with Blunsdon Abbey.

    Boscumbe: Amesbury Church before and after 1066; Edward from William d'Eu.
    On the River Bourne; the theologian Richard Hooker was rector in the 16th century.

    Boientone: Edward of Salisbury. Mill.
    On the River Wylye. The Giffard family home until 14th century, the church has an effigy of Alexander Giffard (d.1265), a crusading Knight and brother of Walter Giffard, Lord Chancellor of England.

    Bradenestoch(e): Edward of Salisbury, William FitzAnsculf and Croc from him. Mill.
    Bradenstoke Augustinian Priory, founded 1142; ancient earthworks on Clack Hill.


    Bradeford: Abbess of Shaftesbury. 2 mills, market, vineyard. 1 sester of honey.
    Milling town on the River Avon with England's most complete Saxon church, founded in the 11th century.

    Breme: Malmesbury Abbey. 3 mills.

    Brismartone: Robert from Robert FitzGerald, formerly Brictmer. Mill.
    On the River Avon; named after its 1066 holder.

    Brecheorde / Brenchewrde: Malmesbury Abbey and a man-at-arms from the abbey; Humphrey from Miles Crispin.
    On Brinkworth Brook.

    Bred / Bretford: King's land; Osbern the Priest; Edmund FitzAiulf, Wulfric and Osward from the king. Church, 2 mills.
    Anglo-Saxon remains; Roman tiles.

    Brixton Deverill
    Devrel: St. Mary of Bec (given by Queen Matilda) formerly Brictric. Mill, church.
    On the River Wylye; formerly 'Ecbryghts-stane', where Alfred and Grtea collected an army together before the Battle of Bratton Down (878).

    Broad Hinton
    Han / Hentone: Gilbert de Breteuil.
    Monument to Colonel Glanville, who was killed in 1645 during the Civil War, fighting for the King at Bridgewater.

    Brochen(e)berge: Malmesbury Abbey and Robert, William, and English woman and 2 men-at-arms from the abbey. 8 mills.
    Near the course of a Roman road.

    Bromham: King's land, formerly Earl Harold. 2 mills.
    Near a Roman villa site; Wans House, in the Park, on a Roman station site; burial place of the Irish poet Thomas Moore (1779-1852).

    Broughton Gifford
    Broctone / tune: Humphrey de L'Isle; Saeward from the king. 2 mills.
    Near Broughton Common; Broughton House and Gifford Hall, both 17th century.

    Bodeberie: Ulf from the king.
    Lost in Bradford-on-Avon.

    Boltintone: Amesbury Church before and after 1066; Alfward from the king. 2 mills.
    On the River Avon; military camp.

    Buberge / Burbed / Burbetc(e): King's land with Vitalis the priest holding the church; Blackman from Humphrey de L'Isle; William from Richard Sturmy; Ralph of Hauville. Church.
    On the downs near Wolf Hall.

    Bredecumbe: Abbess of Wilton, the pre-Conquest holder; Haimo from Earl Hugh. Mill.
    On the River Nadder; Roman settlement site; church with a Saxon chancel and arch.

    Clive: Bishop of Winchester.
    Georgian farmhouse.

    Butremare / mere: Arnulf de Hesdin; Azelin from Waleran Hunter; Ansketel.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Cadeham: William from Earl Hugh.
    Manor house.

    Colecote: Odo of Winchester from the king.
    On the River Thames.

    Calne / Caunalne: King's land with Nigel holding the church. 9 mills.
    Town on the River Marden with the site of a Roman building. Jospeh Priestley experimented here and discovered oxygen (1774).

    Calstone Wellington
    Calestone: Edric's wife from Arnold le Hesdin, formerly Edric; Gunfrid Mawditt and Richard Poynant from the king. 4 mills.
    By Calstone Down near the course of a Roman road.

    Castle Combe
    Come: Humphrey de L'Isle. 3 mills.
    Once a cloth-weaving centre; remains of a 13th century castle built by Walter de Dunstanville.

    Castle Eaton
    Ettone: Earl Roger; Herman de Dreux. Mill.

    Caldefelle: Arnulf de Hesdin. ½ mill.
    Now 2 hamlets, Great and Little Chalfield; manor house and moat built by Thomas Tropenell, 1480.

    Chelche: Abbess of Wilton. 5 mills.
    Now 2 villages, Bower Chalke with many watercress beds, and Broad Chalk, which was given by a Saxon king to the abbess of a convent 1000 years ago.

    Charlton (near Malmesbury)
    Cerletone: Malmesbury Abbey and Ranulf Flambard and Ralph from the abbey. Mill.
    Large; near the River Avon. The poet John Dryden sought refuge in Charlton House (believed to have been built by Inigo Jones in 1607) during the Great Plague of 1665.

    Chedelwich: Bishop of Salisbury and Hugh from him.

    Cheses / Cheislaue / Chegeslei / Chigelei: Arnulf de Hesdin and a thane from him; Edward from Alfred of Marlborough; Siward from Miles Crispin; Edwin, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.

    Chelworth (in Cricklade)
    Celewrde: Warin Bowman.

    Chelworth (in Crudwell)
    Celeorde: Tovi, William and Ansketel from Malmesbury Abbey. Mill.

    Chevrel: Lethelin from Arnulf de Hesdin. ½ mill.
    Now 2 villages, Great and Little Cheverell.

    Chilmerc: Abbess of Wilton. Mill.
    Chilmark stone, quarried since Roman times, was used in Salisbury Cathedral.

    Chilton Foliat
    Cilleton: Reginald from Miles Crispin. 2 mills.
    On the River Kennet.

    Chipe- / Chepeham: King's land with Bishop Osbern holding the church; Roger of Berkeley; Reginald Canute. Church, 12 mills.
    Industrial town, originally a Saxon market town.

    Ceritone: Durand of Gloucester. Mill.
    Manor house.

    Cheseberie: Gilbert de Breteuil. 2 mills.
    Chisbury Camp, an ancient British earthwork.

    Chesigeberie: Nigel the Doctor. Mill.

    Chiseldene: Winchester Abbey before and after 1066. Mill.
    Chisledon Camp, a modern army base.

    Che(l)tre: Edward of Salisbury and Robert from him.
    2 ancient burial mounds.

    Celdre / Celdrintone: Arnulf de Hesdin and Godric and Wulfward from Arnulf; Bernard from William d'Eu.

    Chelestanestone: Amesbury Abbey and Alfward from the Abbey.
    Lost near Fittleton.

    Christian Malford
    Cristemeleford(e): Glastonbury Abbey and Robert and Edward from the abbey. 2 mills.
    On the River Avon.

    Clatford: Ralph de Mortimer. Mill.
    Clarendon House with Sarcen stones in its walls; built on the site of one of King John's hunting lodges.

    Clive: Roger from Alfred of Marlborough.

    Clyffe Pypard
    Clive: Count of Mortain and Gilbert from him; Robert from Arnulf de Hesdin and Alfred of Marlborough; Humphrey de L'Isle; Miles Crispin and Humphrey from him; Gilbert de Breteuil and William FitzAnsculf and Ansfrid from him; Henry de Ferrers; Hugh de Lasne; Thurstan the Chamberlain; Wilbert; Wulfric Waula from the king. 3 mills.

    Coteford: Bernard from William d'Eu; Waleran Hunter; Osbern Giffard. 1½ mills.
    Now 2 villages, Codford St. Mary and Codford St. Peter; by the Codford Circle, an ancient ring of stones.

    Colerne: Humphrey de L'Isle. Mill.
    Near Roman villa site; church with fragments of Saxon carvings. Sir Walter Raleigh (1552-1618) was born at Euridge Farm nearby.

    Collingbourne Ducis
    Colingeburne: King's land, formerly Earl Harold, with Gerald, priest of Wilton holding the derelict church.
    On the River Bourne; church, rebuilt 700 years ago, still stands.

    Collingbourne Kingston
    Coleburne: Winchester Abbey, before and after 1066, and Croc and Fulcred from the abbey.
    Dame Pile met Charles Stuart and gave him a lapful of gold on the rise in the village called King's Hill.

    Compton (in Enford)
    Contone: King's land, formerly Earl Aubrey. Mill.

    Compton Bassett
    Contone: Payne from Humphrey de L'Isle; William from William d'Eu; Thorkell, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. 2 mills.
    Compton House.

    Compton Chamberlayne
    Contone: King's land, formerly Earl Harold. Mill.
    Wooded; on the River Nadder; home of the Penruddock family for 400 years.

    Cowic: Count of Mortain and St. Mary's of Grestain from him.
    18th century manor house.

    Coombe Bissett
    Cumbe: King's land, with Leofric the priest holding the church. 2 mills.
    Church with Norman work.

    Cosseham: King's land, with St. Stephen's of Caen holding the church. 2 mills, 2 churches.
    Small town with Norman remains in the church. Corsham Court was seat of the Merthuen family for over 200 years; alterations were carried out on the house by Capability Brown and Nash.

    Corselie: Azor from the king. Mill.
    Corsley Heath, also a village.

    Corstone: Ranulf Flambard.
    On Gauze Brook.

    Cortitone: William from Hugh de Lasne. Mill.

    Covelestone: Brictric from the king. Mill.
    Now East Coulston with Georgian Coulston House.

    Colesfeld: Richard Sturmy; Brictric and his brother Alfwy from the king.
    Cowesfield Green.

    Crichelade: Westminster Abbey. Church.
    On a Roman building site; Alfred the Great is said to have built a fortification here.

    Crostone: Hugh from Alfred of Marlborough. Mill.
    On the course of a Roman road; Victorian pumping station by the Kennet and Avon Canal.

    Credvelle: Malmesbury Abbey before and after 1066.
    Crudwell Court, a Georgian manor house.

    Cumbrewelle: Payne from Humphrey de L'Isle.
    Great Cumberwell.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Dantesie: Malmesbury Abbey before and after 1066, and Robert from the abbey. Mill.

    Depeford: Azelin from Edward of Salisbury. Mill.
    On the River Wylye.

    Devrel: Irso from Arnulf de Hesdin; Edgar the priest from the king; Aubrey the Chamberlain. 2 mills.
    Name given to a cluster of villages on the River Wylye.

    Domnitone: Abbess of Shaftesbury before and after 1066. 2 mills.
    By the site of an ancient British fort; birthplace of Edward Hyde (1609-74), the first Lord Clarendon.

    Dechementune / Dicehantone: Bishop of Bayeux and Robert from him; Abbess of Wilton. 4 mills.
    By the River Nadder.

    Digeric: Warner from William d'Eu. ½ mill.
    Church by a Roman villa site.

    Dunheve: Abbess of Shaftesbury before and after 1066. 8 mills.
    Now 2 villages on either side of the River Nadder, Donhead St. Mary and Donhead St. Andrew; ancient camp of Castle Rings.

    Duntone: Bishop of Winchester before and after 1066 and William de Braose, Waleran, Ralph and the king (in the forest) from him. 7 mills.
    On a Roman village site, later a British defence and a Saxon meeting place; Cleobury Ring, a prehistoric earthwork.

    Draycot Cerne
    Draicote: Geoffrey Marshall. Mill.

    Draycot FitzPayne
    Draicote: Bishop of Coutances and Roger from him.
    Oare House.

    Draycot Foliat
    Dracote: Reginald from Miles Crispin.
    On the outskirts of Chiseldon Camp, a military base.

    D(i)arneford: Abbess of Wilton before and after 1066 and Edward from her; William d'Eu. 4 mills.
    Ogbury Camp, an ancient earthwork.

    Derintone: King's land, formerly Earl Aubrey.
    On the River Avon; near Woodhenge, c.2000BC

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2024 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings