[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Sussex F-P

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Fairlight (near East Grinstead)
    Ferlega: Count of Mortain.
    Fairlight Farm.

    Falmer
    Falemere: St. Pancras from William de Warenne. Church.
    Victorian church.

    Felpham
    Falcheham: St. Edward's Abbey, Shaftesbury, before and after 1066. Church, fishery.
    Cottage, home of the poet and painter William Blake for 3 years from 1800.

    Ferring
    Feringes: Bishop of Chichester and Ansfrid from him.
    Swallowed up by seaside housing.

    Filsham
    Pilesham / Wilesham: Count of Eu and Abbot of Battle, Geoffrey, Robert, William, Hugh, Bowman, Ingelrann, Robert Cook, Walter, Sasward, Venning the priest, Osward and Roger Daniel from him, with Wulfward the priest holding the church.
    Filsham Farm.

    Findon
    Findune / Fintune: William from William de Braose. Church.
    Surrounded by new housing. The Iron Age hill-fort at Cissbury was refortified by the Romans.

    Fishbourne
    Fiseborne: St. Martin's Church, Sees, from Earl Roger. 2 mills.
    Expanding; Roman Villa site.

    Fletching
    Flescinge(e): Ansfrid, Morin and Hugh from Count of Mortain.
    Burial place of the historian Edward Gibbon (1737-94).

    Folkington
    Fochintone: William from Count of Mortain.
    Secluded; early Victorian Manor House.

    Footland
    Fodilant: Ansketel from Count of Eu.
    Footland Wood; Footland Farm.

    Frankwell
    Francwelle:
    Lost.

    Frog Firle
    Ferle(s): Abbot of Grestain and Alan from Count of Mortain.
    Cluster of houses.

    Fulking
    Fochinges: Tesselin from William de Warenne.
    Downland; motte and bailey castle on Edburton Hill.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    G

    Glatting
    Clotinga: Robert from Earl Roger.
    Glatting Farm; isolated.

    Glossams
    Glesham: 3 men, the pre-Conquest holders, from Count of Eu.
    Glass Eye Farm.

    Goring
    Garinges: Robert from Earl Roger.
    Absorbed by seaside housing.

    Graffham
    Grafham: 4 Frenchmen, Robert, Roland and Arnold from Earl Roger. Church.
    Pretty; Norman church rebuilt by George Street in the 19th century; Bronze Age barrows on Graffham Down.

    Greatham
    Gretham: Ernucion from Earl Roger. 4 fisheries.
    Tiny. On the Arun; mainly Jacobean manor house.

    Grittenham
    Greteham: Robert from Earl Roger. Mill, quarry.
    Grittenham Farm.

    Guestling
    Gestelinges: Geoffrey de Flocques from Count of Eu.
    A 'Guestling' was a Parliament that represented the interests of the Cinque Ports.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    H

    Hailsham
    Hamelesham: William from Count of Mortain. 2 salthouses.
    Town.

    Halnaker
    Helnache / neche: William from Earl Roger.
    On Roman Stane Street; ruins of Halnaker House, 14th century.

    Hamsey
    Hame: Ralph from William de Warenne. Church.
    Scattered; church on a hill above the Ouse.

    Hangleton
    Hangetone: William de Watteville from William de Warenne.
    Modern housing; Church with Saxon walling.

    Hankham
    Henecham: Count of Mortain and Ansgot and William from him.
    Large, sprawling.

    Hardham
    Heriedeham: Robert from Earl Roger. 3 fisheries.
    Church with 12th century wall paintings. The rivers Arun and Rother meet near here.

    Harpingden
    Herbertinges:
    Lost.

    Hartfield
    Hertevel: Walter from Count of Mortain. Mill (350 eels).
    Pleasant.

    Harting
    Hertiges: Earl Roger and clergy of St. Nicholas, Arundel, from him. 9 mills.
    Now 3 adjoining villages, East and West Harting, and South Harting with a possibly pre-Conquest church.

    Hastings
    Hastinges: Count of Eu and Robert from him. Castle, church.
    Town with the ruins of a castle and church (one of whose Deans was Thomas à Becket) built by the Count of Eu.

    Hawkridge
    Haingurge: Count of Mortain.
    Westenden Wood; Sandbrook.

    Hazelden
    Halseeldene: Ansfrid from Count of Mortain.
    Hazelden Farm.

    Hazelhurst
    Haslesse: Walter FitzLambert from Count of Eu. Church.

    Heene
    Hene: Ralph from William de Braose.
    Engulfed by Worthing.

    Henfield
    Hamfelde: Bishop of Chichester and William, a man-at-arms from him. Church.
    Small town with a mainly Perpendicular and Victorian church.

    Herstmonceux
    Herste: Wibert from Count of Eu. Church.
    Castle built by Roger Fiennes, c.1440; Norman church.

    Higham
    Hiham: Count of Eu.
    Absorbed in Northiam village; Higham Farm.

    Hoe
    How: William FitzBonnard from William de Braose.
    Hoe Court Farm; Anglo-Saxon burial ground nearby.

    Hollington
    Holintun / Horintone: Count of Eu and Abbot of Battle, Reinbert, William, Hugh and Wulfward from him.
    Residential suburb of Hastings.

    Hooe
    Hou: Count of Eu and Abbot of Battle from him. Small church, mill, 30 salthouses.
    Scattered; church raised above salt marshes.

    Hooe Level
    Hou: Count of Mortain.
    Hooe Level Nature Reserve.

    Horns
    Orne: Ansfrid and Ranulf from Count of Mortain.

    Horsey
    Horselie: Roger from St. Michael's, Eastbourne, in alms.
    Suburb of Eastbourne.

    Horsted Keynes
    Horstede: William from Count of Mortain. Mill.
    Large.

    Hunston
    Hunestan: William from Earl Roger. Mill. 2 salthouses.
    Manor house.

    Hurst
    Herste: Ednoth from Count of Eu.
    Hurst House; Hurst Wood.

    Hurstpierpoint
    Herst: Robert from William de Warenne. Church, 3 mills.
    Large; church; some Georgian houses.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    I

    Iden
    Idene: Geoffrey and Leofwin from Count of Eu.
    On the Kent border.

    Ifield
    Ifelt: Willia FitzRanulf from William de Braose.
    Part of Crawley New Town; moats at Ifield Court.

    Iford
    Niworde: William de Warenne and monks of St. Pancras, Lewes, Hugh and Tosard from him. Church, 2 mills.
    Norman church.

    Iping
    Epinges: Aldred. Mill, quarry.
    Tiny; mill.

    Itchenor
    Icenore: Warin from Earl Roger.
    Fishing; sometimes called West Itchenor.

    Itford
    Litelforde: William from Count of Mortain.
    Itford Hill; Itford Farm.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    J

    Jevington
    Lov(r)ingetone: Hugh from Count of Eu, Ralph and Count of Mortain. Mill.
    Neolithic causeway camp on Combe Hill; Bronze Age barrow nearby; church with a Saxon tower.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    K

    Keymer
    Chemere: William de Watteville from William de Warenne. Church, 2 mills.
    Parts of modern Hassocks; church rebuilt in 1866.

    Kingston-by-Sea (Kingston Buci)
    Chingestone / tune: Ralph and William FitzRanulf from William de Braose. Church, 9 salthouses (10 ambers of salt).
    Swamped by seaside housing; church with a Saxon nave.

    Kitchenham
    Checeham: Rainer from Count of Eu.
    Isolated farmhouse on the Kent border.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    L

    Lancing
    Lancinges: Robert and Ralph from William de Braose. Mill, 23 salthouses.
    Overwhelmed by new suburban housing; Old Salts and New Salts Farms on the Adur marshes.

    Langney
    Langelie: Ranulf and William from Count of Mortain.
    Outer suburb of Eastbourne.

    Laughton
    Lestone / tun: Count of Eu and Osbern FitzGeoffrey and Wibert from him; Count of Mortain. 16 salthouses.
    The Pelham family, lords of the manor from the mid-14th century until recently, carved their symbol, a buckle, on local churches and on the manor houses, now in ruins.

    Lavant
    Loventone / Lovintune: Archbishop Lanfranc and Ralph from him; Ivo from Earl Roger. 2 mills.
    Now 2 villages, East and Mid Lavant.

    Lewes
    Lewes / Lau(u)es: King's land; Archbishop of Canterbury; William de Warenne. 4000 herrings.
    Market and county town with a castle built by William de Warenne.

    Lidham
    Luet: William de Sept-Meules and William from Count of Eu.
    Now 2 hamlets, Lidham Hill and Upper Lidham Hill.

    Linch (near Bepton)
    Lince: Robert from Earl Roger. Church.
    Huddle of buildings; Linch Farm.

    Littlehampton
    Hantone: William from Earl Roger.
    Seaside resort, originally a small fishing town.

    Little Horsted
    Horstede: Ranulf from Count of Mortain. Mill.
    Church dating from 1080.

    Lodsworth
    Lodesorde: Ketel Hunter. Mill.
    Large. The manor house dates from the 13th century.

    Lordine
    Lordistret: Wibert from Count of Eu.
    Lordine Court, isolated.

    Lordington
    Harditone: William from Earl Roger. Mill.
    Quiet; on a stream.

    Lyminster
    Lolinminstre: Earl Roger and Robert from him. Church, mill, 2 salthouses.
    Near Arun salt marshes; church with a Saxon nave, part of a Benedictine nunnery established after the Conquest.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    M

    Marden
    Meredone: Robert, Engelhere, Azor and Alwin from Earl Roger.
    Now 2 villages, East and West Marden, and North Marden, a hamlet. Magnificent settings.

    Mayfield
    Mesewelle: Count of Mortain and William de Warenne from him; mill.
    Swept by fire in 1389. The palace, built for the Archbishops of Canterbury and now a school, was saved.

    Merston
    Mersitone: Osmelin from Earl Roger. 3 mills.
    By a stream.

    Middleton-on-Sea
    Middeltone: William from Earl Roger. Church.
    Seaside housing. The medieval church was swept out to sea as a result of erosion and replaced in 1849.

    Morley
    Morleia: William FitzRanulf from William de Braose.
    Morley Farm.

    Moulstone
    Moulstan: Jocelyn from William de Warenne.
    Absorbed in Sussex University.

    Mountfield
    Montifelle: Reinbert from Count of Eu.
    Woodland.

    Mundham
    Mundreham: Alchere from Earl Roger. Church, 1½ mills.
    Now 2 villages, North and South Mundham.

    Muntham
    Moham: Morin from William de Braose.
    Muntham Farm.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    N

    Netherfield
    Nedrefelle / Nirefeld: Abbot of Battle and Herewulf from Count of Eu. 8 salthouses.
    Straggling.

    Newtimber
    Niuembre: Ralph from William de Warenne. Mill.
    Moated Newtimber Place, 16th century seat of the Buxton family.

    Ninfield
    Nerewelle: Count of Eu and Robert Cook from him. Church.
    Large; Norman church. William the Conqueror was erroneously thought to have planted his flag here on Standard Hill.

    North Stoke
    Stoches: Reginald from Earl Roger. Church, 2 fisheries.
    Riverside; Norman church; manor farm.

    Nutbourne
    Nordborne: Robert from Earl Roger. 2 mills.
    By a stream; Heath Mill.

    Nyetimber
    Nitinbreham: Roger from Earl Roger.
    Nyetimber Farm.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    O

    Offham
    Offham: Azor from Earl Roger. 2 mills, fishery.
    On the River Arun; close to marshland.

    Offington
    Offintune: William FitzNorman from William de Braose.
    Absorbed in Worthing; name survives in Offington Avenue, Drive and Lane.

    Ovingdean
    Hoingesdene / Hovingedene: Godfrey from William de Warenne. Small church.
    New estates; Norman church's 13th century aisle was destroyed by pirates in 1377.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    P

    Pagham
    Pageham: Archbishop of Canterbury and Osmelin from him. Mill, church.
    Holiday resort; dried-up harbour; Norman church.

    Pangdean
    Pinhedene / Pinwedene: William FitzReginald from William de Warenne.
    Pangdean Farm.

    Parham
    Perham: Abbot of Westminster before and after 1066; Robert from Earl Roger. Mill.
    Tudor Parham House.

    Parrock
    Apedroc: Count of Mortain, formerly Earl Harold. Hall.
    Now Little Parrock.

    Patcham
    Piceham: William de Warenne and Richard from him. Church.
    On the edge of Brighton; 12th century church; Court Farm, formerly the manor house.

    Patching
    Petchinges: Archbishop of Canterbury. Church.
    Neolithic flint mines nearby.

    Pawthorne
    Paveorne:
    Lost.

    Peelings
    Palinges / Pellinges: Godfrey the cleric, Godfrey, Alan, Ansfrid and Roger from Count of Mortain.
    Peelings farmhouse.

    Penhurst
    Penehest: Abbot of Battle from Osbern.
    17th century manor house.

    Perching
    Berchinges / Percinges: Osward the pre-Conquest holder, Tesselin and William de Watteville from William de Warenne. Mill, hall.
    Georgian Perching Manor Farm, beneath Perching Hill, now in Fulking village.

    Petworth
    Peteorde: Robert from Earl Roger. Church, mill (189 eels).
    Town with a 17th century mansion, originally a manor house converted into a castle by the Percy family, c.1309.

    Pevensey
    Pevenesel: Count of Mortain. Mint, mill.
    Former Saxon borough with the remains of a moated castle, built by the count within the walls of the Roman Anderida.

    Playden
    Pleidena: Count of Eu and Ednoth, Walter, Remir, Geoffrey, Theobald the priest from him. Church.
    Church, c.1190.

    Plumpton
    Pluntune: Hugh FitzRanulf from William de Warenne. Church, 2 mills.
    Norman church; Plumpton Place, c.1568.

    Portslade
    Porteslage / lamhe: Osward, the pre-Conquest holder, and Albert from William de Warenne.
    On the medieval pilgrim's route to Canterbury.

    Poynings
    Poninges: William FitzReginald from William de Warenne. Church, 2 mills.
    14th century church.

    Preston (in Beddingham)
    Prestetone: Osbern from Count of Eu; Ralph from Count of Mortain.
    Preston Court; Preston House.

    Preston (in Binderton)
    Presteton: Durand from Bishop Osbern of Exeter.
    Preston Farm.

    Preston (in Brighton)
    Prestetone: Bishop of Chichester and Lovell from him. Church, mill.
    Now Preston Park, a Brighton suburb; 13th century church; 14th century manor house.

    Pulborough
    Poleberge: Robert from Earl Roger. 2 mills, 2 fisheries, 2 churches.
    Small town on the River Arun with a 13th century church.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved