[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Staffordshire Q-Z

    Click here for details Click here for details
    R

    Ranton
    Rantone: Godric from Robert of Stafford.
    Ranton Hall; modern abbey and the remains of a 12th century Augustinian priory.

    Rickerscote
    Ricardescote: Robert from Robert of Stafford.
    Suburb of Stafford.

    Rocester
    Rowecetre: King's land. Mill.
    Reputedly the site of a Roman camp; mill; weirs; Augustinian priory. Sir Richard Arkwright built the cotton mill, the first in Stafford, in 1782.

    Rodbaston
    Redbaldestone: Richard Forester.

    Rolleston
    Rolvestune: Henry de Ferrers. Mill.
    Head of a Saxon cross on the church tower. The hall, once the home of Oswald Moseley's family, was pulled down in the 1920s.

    Rowley
    Rouueleia: Bishop of Chester before and after 1066.
    Now Rowley Elms.

    Rownall
    Rugehala: King's land.
    Rownall Hall.

    Rudyard
    Rudierd: King's land.
    The architect, J.L. Kipling, got engaged here and named his son Rudyard after the spot.

    Rugeley
    Rugelie: King's land. Mill.
    Industrial town, home of William Palmer, The Rugeley Poisoner, a 19th century doctor who turned to murder to pay his gambling debts.

    Rushall
    Rischale: Thorkell from William FitzAnsculf. Mill.
    Suburb of Walsall. In 1643 Prince Rupert attacked Rushall Hall and made it a Royalist headquarters.

    Rushton Grange
    Risctone: Wulfgeat from Robert of Stafford.
    Lost in Stoke-on-Trent.

    Rushton (in Leek)
    Risetone: King's land.
    Rushton Hall.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    S

    Salt
    Selte: Gilbert from Robert of Stafford. Mill.
    The name comes from ancient salt pits.

    Sandon
    Scandone: King's land.
    Sandon Park, a hall set in wooded parkland with a church and moat, was the home of the first Earl of Harrowby, Foreign Secretary during Pitt the Younger's time as Prime Minister; Pitt Column in the park is a memorial.

    Sedgley
    Segeslie: William FitzAnsculf from the king, and Geoffrey from him.
    Industrial town.

    Seighford
    Cesteforde: 2 Frenchmen and a thane from Bishop of Chester.
    Church with Saxon foundations.

    Seisdon
    Seisdone: Walbert from William FitzAnsculf.

    Shareshill
    Servesed: Hervey from Robert of Stafford.
    Hilton Park Hall, the guest house of a Roman Catholic convent.

    Sheen
    Sceon: King's land.

    Shelfield
    Scelfeld: King's land.
    Suburb of Walsall.

    Shelton-under-Harley
    Scelfitone: King's land.

    Shenstone
    Seneste: Robert d'Oilly from Earl Roger. Mill.

    Shushions
    Sceotestan: Leofhild from the king.
    Shushions manor house.

    Silkmore
    Selchemore:
    Lost.

    Slindon
    Slindone: Leofnoth from Bishop of Chester.

    Smethwick
    Smedeuuich: William from Bishop of Chester.
    Industrialized area on the outskirts of Birmingham.

    Stafford
    Stad- / Statford: King's land; Bishop of Chester; Burton Abbey; Earl Roger and Hugh from him; Robert of Stafford; William FitzAnsculf; Henry de Ferrers. Mill.
    City on the site of a hermitage built by St. Bertelin 1200 years ago. Birthplace of Izaak Walton (1593-1683). Richard Sheridan, the dramatist, was MP for Stafford for 26 years from 1780.

    Standon
    Stantone: Bryant from Robert of Stafford. Mill.

    Stanshope
    Stanesope: King's land.

    Stanton
    Stantone: King's land.
    Birthplace of Gilbert Sheldon (1598-1677), Archbishop of Canterbury, who built the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford at his own expense.

    Stappenhill
    Staenhille: Burton Abbey before and after 1066.
    Suburb of Burton-on-Trent. 30 Saxon skeletons were found here.

    Stoke-by-Stone
    Stoca: Cadio from Robert of Stafford.
    On the outskirts of Stone.

    Stramshall
    Stagrigesholle: Alric, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.
    Suburban.

    Stretton (near Penkridge)
    Estretone: Hervey from Robert of Stafford. Mill.
    Roman road nearby.

    Stretton (near Burton-on-Trent)
    Stratone: Burton Abbey.
    Industrial suburb of Burton-on-Trent, with clay mills, near the Roman Ryknild or Ryknield Street.

    Stychbrook
    Tichebroc: Bishop of Chester before and after 1066.
    A single building.

    Sugnall
    Sotehelle: Fran and Fragrin from Bishop of Chester.
    Hall and Park.

    Swinchurch
    Suesneshed: Fran and Fragrin from Bishop of Chester.
    Swinchurch Farm.

    Swynnerton
    Sulvertone: Aslen from Robert of Stafford.

    Syerscote
    Fricescote: Thorkell from Robert of Stafford.
    Syerscote Manor and Barn.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    T

    Talke
    Talc: Gamel, the king's thane.
    Suburban; Talke pits nearby.

    Tamhorn
    Tamahore: Nigel from Bishop of Chester.
    Tamhorn House Bridge on the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal.

    Tamworth
    Tamuuorde: King's land.
    Market town where Offa, King of Mercia, built a palace which was destroyed by the Danes in 874AD. It was rebuilt by Alfred's daughter Ethelfleda who died here in 918AD. Tamworth Castle has Saxon and Norman remains. The mint, built in Offa's time, went on working until the 12th century.

    Tean
    Tene: Robert of Stafford.
    Now 2 hamlets, Upper and Lower Tean.

    Tettenhall
    Totenhale / Totehala: King's land. Canons of Wolverhampton.
    Suburb of Wolverhampton. The wood nearby was the site of battle between Danes and Saxons 1,000 years ago when Alfred's son-in-law, Ethelred, defeated the invaders. Tettenhall Church is on the site of a 10th century church built by King Edgar.

    The Rudge
    Rigge:
    Lost.

    Thorpe Constantine
    Torp: Nigel.
    Thorpe Hall.

    Thursfield
    Turvoldesfeld: Richard Forester and Nigel from him.
    Thursfield Lodge.

    Tillington
    Tillintone: Robert of Stafford.
    Lost in Stafford.

    Tipton
    Tibintone: William from Bishop of Chester.
    Industrial.

    Tittensor
    Titesoure: Stenulf from Robert of Stafford. Mill.

    Tixall
    Ticheshale: Hugh from Robert of Stafford.
    Obelisk; ruined gatehouse, now restored, where Mary, Queen of Scots, was detained for 2 weeks. Queen's Low and King's Low, on the heath nearby, are burial places of great antiquity.

    Trentham
    Trenham: King's land.
    Suburb of Newcastle-under-Lyme.

    Trescott
    Cote: Canons of Wolverhampton.

    Trysull
    Treslei: Baldwin from William FitzAnsculf. Mill.

    Tunstall (in Adbaston)
    Tunestal: Fran and Fragrin from Bishop of Chester. Mill.

    Tutbury
    Toteberie: Henry de Ferrers. Market.
    Norman church, once part of a Benedictine priory built by Henry de Ferrers. The castle dates back to William I's reign.

    Tymmore
    Timmor:
    Lost.

    Tyrley
    Tirelire:
    Lost.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    U

    Upper Penn
    Penne: William FitzAnsculf and Robert from him. Mill.
    Base of a preaching cross, reputedly set up by Lady Godiva in 1050.

    Uttoxeter
    Wotocheshede: King's land.
    Large town with agricultural machinery works. Birthplace of the philosopher Thomas Allen (1542-1632).

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    W

    Walton Grange
    Waltone: Roger from Earl Roger.
    The grange is near the course of an old Roman road.

    Walton (in Eccleshall)
    Waletone: Bishop of Chester.

    Walton (in Stone)
    Waletone: Arnold from Robert of Stafford.
    Walton Hill House, just outside Stone.

    Walton-on-the-Hill
    Waletone: Bishop of Chester.
    On the outskirts of Stafford.

    Warslow
    Wereslei: Earl Roger.
    Georgian manor, Warslow Hall.

    Water Eaton
    Etone: Hervey from Robert of Stafford. Mill.
    Mill nearby.

    Wednesbury
    Wadnesberie: King's land. Mill.
    Industrial town surrounded by rivers and canals. St. Bartholomew's Church on the hilltop was once the site of a heathen temple to Woden. A battle is said to have been fought there between Britons and Saxons in 952AD.

    Wednesfield
    Wodnesfelde: Canons of Wolverhampton.
    Industrial town. 1,000 years ago the Danes were heavily defeated in a battle here with Alfred's son, Edward.

    Weeford
    Weforde: Ralph from Bishop of Chester. Mill.
    Birthplace of John Wyatt (1700-66) who invented and used the first spinning machine in a cotton mill here.

    West Bromwich
    Bromwic: Ralph from William FitzAnsculf.
    City. Mining has been done here for centuries.

    Weston Coyney
    Westone: Arnulf de Hesdin from Robert of Stafford.
    Suburb of Longdon.

    Weston (in Standon)
    Westone: Bryant from Robert of Stafford.
    Weston Hall; Weston House Farm.

    Weston-under-Lizard
    Westone: Reginald de Balliol.
    By Watling Street. Hall. The park was landscaped by Capability Brown in the 18th century.

    Weston-upon-Trent
    Westone: Aelfric, the king's thane.
    Weston Hall.

    Wetmore
    Witmere: Burton Abbey.
    Suburb of Burton-on-Trent; Wetmore Hall Farm.

    Whiston
    Witestone: Nawen from Burton Abbey.

    Whitmore
    Witemore: Nigel from Richard Forester.

    Wigginton
    Wigetone: King's land.
    Near Wigginton Fields.

    Wightwick
    Wisteuuic: King's land.
    Wightwick Manor.

    Wilbrighton
    Wilbrestone: Lawrence from Robert of Stafford.
    Wilbrighton Hall.

    Willenhall
    Winehala / Winenhale: King's land; Canons of Wolverhampton.
    Market town. Charles II hid at Bentley Hall nearby.

    Winnington
    Wennitone: Leofing, from the king.

    Winshill
    Wineshalle: Burton Abbey before and after 1066. Mill.
    Part of Burton-on-Trent; mill.

    Wolgarston
    Turgarestone: King's land.

    Wolseley
    Ulselei: Nigel from Bishop of Chester.

    Wolstanton
    Wlstanetone: King's land.
    Suburb of Newcastle-under-Lyme, on the site of a Saxon settlement.

    Wolverhampton
    Hantone: Canons of Wolverhampton from Samson the Clerk.
    City, a centre of the wool industry in the Middle Ages. Danes cross dates from the 9th century. St. Peter's Church stands on a hill where Christians have worshipped for 10 centuries.

    Wombourn
    Wamburne: Ralph from William FitzAnsculf. 2 mills.
    Town. A church is dedicated to St. Benedict Biscop (b.628AD), said to have introduced glass windows to England.

    Woolaston
    Ullavestone: Robert of Stafford.

    Wootton (in Eccleshall)
    Wodestone: Bishop of Chester.

    Wootton (near Uttoxeter)
    Wodetone: King's land.
    Wootton deer park. Wootton Lodge, badly damaged in the Civil War in 1643.

    Wrottesley
    Wrotelei: Clodoen from Robert of Stafford.
    Wrottesley Lodge Farm; Old Park.

    Wychnor
    Wicenor: Robert from Robert of Stafford. Mill.
    Moat and park nearby.

    Wyrley
    Wereleia: Bishop of Chester. Now Little Wyrley.
    Hall; common; woods.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    Y

    Yarlet
    Erlide: Robert from Earl Roger.
    Yarlet Hall, now a school.

    Yoxall
    Loches / Iocheshale: Rafwin and Alwin from Bishop of Chester.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved