[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Staffordshire A-C

    Click here for details Click here for details
    A

    Abbey Hulton
    Heltone: Wulfgeat, the pre-Conquest holder, from Robert of Stafford.
    Suburb of Stoke-on-Trent.

    Abbot's Bromley
    Brunlege: Burton Abbey.
    Traditional horn dance is celebrated in Autumn.

    Acton Trussell
    Actone: Robert from Bishop of Chester. Mill.

    Adbaston
    Edboldestone: Fran and Fragrin from Bishop of Chester.

    Agardsley
    Edgareslege: Henry de Ferrers.
    Isolated area; Agardsley Park Manor.

    Aldridge
    Alrewic: Robert from William FitzAnsculf.
    Industrial town. Stone Age flint has been found here.

    Almington
    Almentone: William from Earl Roger.
    Hall. Site of a battle during the Wars of the Roses (1459).

    Alrewas
    Alrewas: King's land. Eel fishery.
    Town. Lady Godiva reputedly worshipped in a Saxon church here; now disappeared.

    Alstone
    Aluerdestone: Robert of Stafford and a man-at-arms.
    Alstone Farm; Alstone Hall Farm.

    Alstonefield
    Ænestanefelt: William from Earl Roger.
    Saxon cross. Six barrows house the dead from the Bronze Age. Poet Charles Cotton entertained Izaak Walton here 300 years ago.

    Alton
    Elvetone:
    Conservation area. Alton Towers, set in parkland by the River Churnet, was once a Gothic nunnery.

    Amblecote
    Elmelecote: Payne from William FitzAnsculf.
    Birmingham suburb.

    Amerton
    Mersetone: Wulfric and Gosbert from Earl Roger.

    Apeton
    Abetone: Robert of Stafford.

    Ashley
    Esselie: Geoffrey from Earl Roger.
    Scholar John Lightfoot was rector here until 1642.

    Ashwood
    Haswic: Canons of Wolverhampton.

    Aspely
    Haspeleia: Bishop of Chester.

    Aston by Stafford
    Estone: 2 Frenchmen and a thane from Bishop of Chester.
    Hall.

    Aston (in Stone)
    Estone: King's land; Cadio and Algot from Robert of Stafford, formerly Godiva.
    Moated hall.

    Audley
    Aldidelege: Gamel, the King's thane.
    Coal mines nearby. Ryknield Street is Roman-built.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    B

    Baden Hall
    Badehale: Leofnoth from Bishop of Chester.
    Only the house remains.

    Balterley
    Baltredelege: Wulfwin and Gamel from the King.

    Barlaston
    Bernulvestone: Helgot from Robert of Stafford.
    Pottery museum; Josiah Wedgwood's factory on the Trent and Mersey Canal. The Wedgwood family lived in Barlaston Hall in the 1850s.

    Barton (in Bradley)
    Bernertone: Robert of Stafford.

    Barton-under-Needwood
    Bertone: King's land. Mill.
    Barton Park and moat nearby.

    Basford
    Bechesword: William from Earl Roger.

    Baswich
    Bercheswic: Bishop of Chester.
    Stafford suburb with the remains of a 12th century Augustinian priory, now a farm called St. Thomas's.

    Bednall
    Bedehala: Bishop of Chester.

    Beffcote
    Beficote: King's land.
    Windmill near what used to be a Roman road.

    Beighterton
    Bertone: King's land and Reginald de Balliol from the king.

    Bescot
    Bresmundescote: King's land.
    Industrial area.

    Betley
    Betelege: Wulfwin from the king.
    Once a market town.

    Bickford
    Bigeford: Alric, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.

    Biddulph
    Bidolf: King's land.
    Large town with coal and iron mines and a burial chamber dating from 2000 BC. Bidolf means 'place by the mine' implying mining before the Conquest. Biddulph Hall was ruined by cannon-fire in 1642.

    Bilbrook
    Bilrebroch: Priests of Tettenhall.
    Industrial area.

    Billington
    Belintone: Robert of Stafford.
    7 acre prehistoric earthwork, Berry Ring.

    Bilston
    Billestune: King's land.
    Large suburb with a museum and iron foundries, originally a market town. In 1832 a cholera epidemic wiped out 742 inhabitants in 6 weeks. Sir Henry Newbolt, who wrote the song Drake's Drum, was born here in 1862.

    Bishops Offley
    Offeleia: Leofnoth from Bishop of Chester.

    Bishton
    Bipestone: Aelmer, the king's thane.
    Hall.

    Blithfield
    Blidevelt: Roger from Earl Roger.
    Blithfield Hall, home of the Bagot family for over 600 years.

    Blore
    Blora: Edric from Robert of Stafford.
    Scenic; hall and chapel parklands. Henry VI was captured at Blore Heath in 1459.

    Bloxwich
    Blocheswic:
    Lost.

    Blymhill
    Brumhelle: Warin from Robert of Stafford.
    Pretty; moat.

    Bobbington
    Bubintone: Helgot from Robert of Stafford.
    Airport nearby.

    Bradeley
    Bradelie: Tanio from Robert of Stafford.
    Suburb of Stoke-on-Trent.

    Bradley (in Bilston)
    Bradeleg: Walbert from William FitzAnsculf.
    Suburb of Bilston.

    Bradley (near Stafford)
    Bradelia / lie: Robert of Stafford. Mill.
    Bradley Hall.

    Bradley-in-the-Moors
    Bretlei: Ralph FitzHubert from the king and Robert de Bucy from him.

    Bramshall
    Branselle: Bagot from Robert of Stafford.

    Branston
    Brantestone: Burton Abbey, formerly Countess Godiva.
    Gravel and cement works; nature reserve. Sinai Park belongs to Burton Abbey.

    Brewood
    Breude: Bishop of Chester. Mill.
    Burial place of William Carlos, who hid in the oak tree with Charles II. Black Ladies House was a Norman convent (the nuns wore black habits). The woods were once part of a royal forest.

    Bridgeford
    Brigeford: 2 Frenchmen and a thane from Bishop of Chester.
    Mill; Worston Hall.

    Brineton
    Brunitone: Warin from Robert of Stafford.

    Brockhurst
    Ruscote: Warin from Robert of Stafford.
    Remains of a moat nearby.

    Brockton (in Eccleshall)
    Broctonne: Leofnoth from Bishop of Chester.

    Brocton (near Stafford)
    Broctone: Bishop of Chester.
    Booden Farm.

    Brough Hall
    Bughale: Houghton from Robert of Stafford.
    Hall.

    Broughton
    Hereborgestone: Bishop of Chester.
    During the Civil War a Royalist refugee, Colonel Blagg, hid with one crown jewel at Broughton Hall (now a nunnery) after the Battle of Worcester. He escaped leaving the jewel with Izaak Walton, who returned it to Charles I.

    Bucknall
    Buchenole: King's land.
    Absorbed into Stoke-on-Trent.

    Burslem
    Bacardeslim: Robert of Stafford.
    Birthplace of Josiah Wedgwood (1730-95).

    Burton (in Castle Church)
    Burtone: Robert of Stafford.
    Probably absorbed into Stafford.

    Burweston
    Borouestone:
    Lost.

    Bushbury
    Biscopesberie: Canons of Wolverhampton; Robert from William FitzAnsculf.
    District of Wolverhampton.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    C

    Cauldon
    Caldone: Robert of Stafford, formerly Countess Godiva.
    Stone Age remains and a moat nearby.

    Caverswall
    Cavreswelle: Arnulf de Hesdin from Robert of Stafford.
    The castle became a convent and is now privately owned.

    Chapel Chorlton
    Cerletone: Leofnoth from Bishop of Chester.

    Charnes
    Ceruernest: Leofnoth from Bishop of Chester.
    Charnes Old Hall; moat.

    Chartley
    Certelie: King's land.
    Chartley Castle with a cattle and deer park; Chartley Hall, where Mary, Queen of Scots, was imprisoned in 1585.

    Chasepool
    Catspelle: William FitzAnsculf.
    Chasepool Farm.

    Chatcul
    Ceterville: Leofnoth from Bishop of Chester.
    Hall; ford.

    Cheadle
    Cedla / Celle: King's land; Robert of Stafford, formerly Countess Godiva. Mill.
    Market town with a coal and textile industry; nature reserve.

    Chebsey
    Cebbesio: Humphrey from Henry de Ferrers. Castle.
    Saxon cross in the churchyard.

    Checkley
    Cedla: Otto, from the king.
    Pretty; 6 Saxon crosses in the churchyard, with figures of the bishops slain in a battle between Saxons and Danes.

    Cheddleton
    Celtetone: William from Earl Roger.
    County's only working flint mill; museum of ceramic milling industry; paper mills.

    Chillington
    Cillentone: William FitzCorbucion.
    Chillington Hall, on the site of a castle where the Giffards (who came to England with William I) lived for over 800 years. The park was laid out by Capability Brown in 1730.

    Church Eaton
    Eitone: Godric from Robert of Stafford.

    Clayton
    Claitone: Nigel from Richard Forester.
    Suburb of Newcastle-under-Lyme.

    Clifton Campville
    Cliftone / Clistone: King's land. 2 mills.

    Codsall
    Codeshale: Kenwin, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. Locality.

    Cold Meece
    Mess: Leofnoth from Bishop of Chester.

    Coley
    Scoteslei: Nigel from Bishop of Chester.
    Building near Great and Little Haywood remains.

    Colton
    Coltone / tune: Ascelin from Earl Roger.
    Colton House.

    Compton
    Contone: King's land.
    Absorbed into Wolverhampton.

    Congreve
    Comegrave: King's land.

    Consall
    Cuneshala: King's land.
    Consall Forge.

    Cooksland
    Cuchesland:
    Lost.

    Coppenhall
    Copehale: Burgred from Robert of Stafford.
    Moat nearby.

    Cotes
    Cota: Leofnoth from Bishop of Chester.

    Coton Clanford
    Cote: 2 Frenchmen and a thane from Bishop of Chester.
    Coton House.

    Coton (in Milwich)
    Cote: King's land.

    Coton (near Stafford)
    Cote: Ascelin from Earl Roger.
    Lost.

    Cotwalton
    Codeuualle / Cotewoldestune: King's land; William from Earl Roger, formerly Countess Godiva.

    Coven
    Cove: Burgred from Robert of Stafford.
    Industrial.

    Cowley
    Covelau: King's land.
    On the Shropshire Union Canal.

    Crakemarsh
    Crachemers: King's land. Mill.
    Wooded; by a lake.

    Creswell
    Cressvale: William Pandolf from Earl Roger. Mill.

    Crockington
    Cocortone / Cocretone:
    Lost.

    Croxall
    Crocheshalle: Roger from Henry de Ferrers. 2 mills.
    Saxon mound nearby.

    Croxden
    Crochesdene: Alfwold, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.
    The Abbey, one of the best-preserved monastic ruins in England, was founded for Cistercian monks by Bertram de Verdun in 1176. King John died near here in 1216, ministered to by the monks of Crxoden.

    Croxton
    Crochestone: Bishop of Chester.

    Cubbington
    Cobintone:
    Lost.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved