[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Somerset T-Z

    Click here for details Click here for details
    T

    Tadwick
    Tatewiche / wica: William Hussey; Ralph of Berkeley. 189 sheep.

    Tarnock
    Ternoc: Ludo and Richard from Walter de Douai. 17 unbroken mares.

    Taunton
    Tantone / tona: Bishop of Winchester. 3 mills, market.
    County town and commercial centre; 12th century castle keep, with later additons. The Bloody Assizes were held here after Monmouth's Rebellion in 1685. 17th century almshouses.

    Tellisford
    Tablesforde / forda: Moses from Bishop of Coutances. mill.

    Temple Combe
    Come: Samson the Chaplain from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Called after the Knights Templars, and said to have been owned by them.

    Tetton
    Tedintone / tona: William from Hugh d'Avranches.
    Tetton House; farm.

    Theodoric's Land
    Terra / Teodrici:
    Lost.

    Thorent
    Tornie / Turnie / Turnietta:
    Lost.

    Thorne
    Torne / Torna: Drogo and Ralph the Priest from Count of Mortain.

    Thorne St. Margaret
    Torne / Torna / Tornet: Alric from Roger de Courseulles. Mill.

    Thorney
    Torleie / leia: Muchelney Church. Assessed with Midelney, etc.
    On the River Parrett; Thorney Moor.

    Thornfalcon
    Torne / Torna: Ansger from Count of Mortain.

    Thurlbear
    Torlaberie / beria: Drogo from Count of Mortain.

    Tickenham
    Ticheham / Ticaham: William d'Eu.

    Timberscombe
    Timbrecumbe / racumba: Drogo from Roger Arundel.

    Timsbury
    Temesbare / bara / Themesbera / Timesberie / berua: William from Bishop of Coutances. Part of a mill.
    19th century church chancel by Gilberto Scott.

    Tintinhull
    Tintehalle / hella / Tutenelle / Tintenelle / Tuttehella: Count of Mortain. Mill.
    Dower House, 1687; 2 17th-18th century houses, Tintinhull Court and Tintinhull House, the latter with beautiful formal gardens.

    Tolland
    Talanda / Talham / Talam: William FitzRoger from Roger de Courseulles.
    17th century Gaulden Manor nearby.

    Torweston
    Turvestone / tona: Hugh from William de Mohun. Mill. 14 cattle.

    Treborough
    Traberge / berga: Ralph de Limesy.
    In the Brendon Hills; remains of 19th century iron and copper mines.

    Tuxwell
    Tocheswelle / willa: Hugh from Roger Arundel; Brictric.
    Farm.

    Twerton
    Twertone / tona: Nigel de Gournai and Geoffrey Malregard from Bishop of Coutances. 4 mills. 4 cobs, 17 cattle, 35 pigs, 400 sheep.
    Part of Bath. Yarn was produced here in the early 18th century.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    U

    Ubley
    Tumbeli: Walter from Gilbert FitzThorold. Mill.
    Trout hatchery near the Chew Valley and Bladgon lakes.

    Uphill
    Opopille / illa: 4 men-at-arms from Serlo de Burcy. 25 pigs.
    Large; probably a port in Roman times; traces of a Roman camp.

    Upper Cheddon
    Opecedre / cedra / Ubcedene / dena: Roger Arundel. Mill.

    Upton Noble
    Opetone / tona: Ralph Rufus from Bishop of Coutances. 21 pigs.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    V

    Vexford
    Fescheforde / forda: Alric and Robert from Roger de Courseulles.
    Now Lower Vexford.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    W

    Waldron
    Ulveronetone / tona / Ulvererona: William holds Waldron from Roger [de Courseulles]. Alfwy held it before 1066; it paid tax for 1 hide and 1 furlong. Land for 2 ploughs. In lordship 1 plough and hide, with 1 slave; 3 villagers and 3 smallholders with 1 plough and hide and 1 furlong. Meadow, 11 acres; pasture, 7 acres; woodland, 13 acres. 26 sheep, 3 pigs. Value was and is 22s.

    1 hide in Perry has been added to this manor. Alfward held it before 1066; it paid tax for 1 hide. Land for 2 ploughs. In lordship 1 plough; hide. 2 villagers and 3 smallholders with 1 plough and hide. Meadow, 10 acres; pasture, 7 acres; woodland, 13 acres. 3 pigs, 26 sheep. The value was and is 20s.

    Lost.

    Walpole
    Wallepille / pilla: Rademar from Walter de Douai.
    Area near the River Parrett.

    Walton (near Glastonbury)
    Waltone / tona: Glastonbury Church. 10 cattle.
    Thatched 15th century rectory. Novelist Henry Fielding was born at nearby Sharpham Park in 1707.

    Walton (in Kilmersdon)
    Waltune / tuna: Edmund FitzPayne.
    Farm.

    Walton in Gordano
    Waltone / tona: Richard de Barre from Ralph de Mortimer, formerly Gunni the Dane.
    On the outskirts of Clevedon; ruins of 17th century Waldon Castle.

    Wanstrow
    Wandestreu: Bishop of Wells and the Canons of St. Andrew's from him before and after 1066.

    Warleigh
    Herlei / Heorleia: Hugolin the Interpreter. 100 sheep.
    Regency and late Gothic Warleigh Manor.

    Watchet
    Wacet: Dodman from William de Mohun. Mill.
    Small port, a paper-making centre since the 17th century. Coleridge's 'ancient mariner' set sail from here.

    Weacombe
    Waicome / Waiecoma: Geoffrey and William from Roger de Courseulles.
    Below Weacombe Hill.

    Weare
    Werre / Werra: Walter de Douai. 2 mills. 18 cattle.
    Also Lower Weare village; near the River Axe.

    Wearne
    Warne / Warna: Robert d'Auberville.

    Wellington
    Walintone / tona / Wellintona: Bishop of Wells and John the Usher from him. 2 mills. 17 cattle.
    Town, a centre of the wool industry. The Duke of Wellington took his title from here and his monument is on the nearby Black Down hills.

    Wellisford
    Wilesford / Welesforda: Robert d'Auberville. 18 cattle.
    17th century Wellisford Manor.

    Wells
    Welle / Wella: Bishop of Wells before and after 1066, and Canons of St. Andrew's, Fastrad, Richard, Erneis, Ralph, Alfward, Croc and Edric from him; Manasseh's wife. 9 mills. 22 cattle, 150 sheep.
    Cathedral city, the county's largest urban centre in the 14th century. The cathedral dates from the 12th century; moated Bishop's Palace; 14th century Vicar's Close.

    Wembdon
    Wadmendune / duna: Ludo from Walter de Douai. 18 cattle, 20 pigs.
    On the outskirts of Bridgwater.

    Wemberham
    Waimore / Weimorham: Bishop of Wells. Pasture.
    Cottage and lane.

    West Bower
    Bur / Bure:
    Lost.

    Westbury sub Mendip
    Westberie / beria: Bishop of Wells before and after 1066. 10 cattle, 200 sheep.

    West Camel
    Camelle / ella: Muchelney Church and Dodman from the church. Mill.
    On the River Camel; fragment of a Saxon cross in the church.

    Westcombe
    Westcumbe / Westecomba: Azelin from Glastonbury Church, formerly Alfhild, the abbot's mother. 2 mills.
    Westcombe House.

    West Cranmore
    Crenemelle / mella: Harding, the pre-Conquest holder, from Glastonbury Church. Mill.
    On the former East Somerset railway line.

    West Harptree
    Har / Herpetreu: Azelin from Bishop of Coutances. Mill.
    Jacobean manor house beside the church.

    West Lydford
    Lideford: Aelfric from the king, formerly Brictric, his father. Mill. 20 cattle, 25 pigs.
    Remote, on the River Brue.

    West Monkton
    Monechetone / Morchetona: Glastonbury Church and Bishop of Winchester, Roger de Courseulles and Serlo de Burcy from the church.
    Almshouse, once a leper hospital, rebuilt by the Abbot of Glastonbury (1510-1515).

    Weston (near Bath)
    Westone / tona: Bath Church; Arnulf de Hesdin. 2 mills. 7 cobs, 450 sheep.
    Part of Bath.

    Weston Bampfylde
    Westone / tona: Alfred from Count of Mortain; Richard and Alwin from Thurstan FitzRolf. Mill. 3 cobs.
    Church; Norman font.

    Weston in Gordano
    Westone / tona: Azelin and William from Bishop of Coutances. 167 sheep.
    Church with 15th century tombs of the Percevals, originally a Norman family.

    Westowe
    Waistou / Westou: King's land; William from Roger de Courseulles.

    West Quantoxhead
    Cantocheve: William de Mohun. 200 sheep.
    Farm.

    Whatley (near Frome)
    Watelei / leia: Walter Hussey and John the Usher from Glastonbury Church. Mill.
    Also Lower Whatley hamlet.

    Whatley (in Winsham)
    Watelege / lega: William d'Eu.

    Wheathill
    Watehelle / hella: Serlo de Burcy and Geoffrey from him.

    Whitcomb
    Witecumbe / cumba: King's land.

    Whitelackington
    Wilagetone / Wyslagentona: Roger Arundel. Mill.
    Dillington House, home of the 19th century explorer, John Hanning Speke.

    White Ox Mead
    Witochesmede / meda: Robert Gernon from Roger de Courseulles. Ass.

    Whitestaunton
    Stantune / tuna: Ansger le Breton from Count of Mortain. Mill.
    Ruins of a Roman villa beside a 15th century manor house.

    Wigborough
    Wincheberie / Winchinberia: John the Usher.
    Manor house.

    Willett
    Willet: Dodman from William de Mohun. Mill.
    Willett House.

    Williton
    Welletone / tune / Willetone / Wile / Willetona: King's land. Assessed with Cannington, etc.
    Birthplace of Reginald Fitzurse, one of Thomas à Becket's murderers.

    Wilmersham
    Winemeresham: Drogo from Bishop of Coutances.
    On Exmoor.

    Wilmington
    Wimedone / Wimmadona: Walter Hussey from Bath Church. 300 sheep.

    Wincanton
    Wincaletone / Wincalletonna: Rainward from Walter de Douai. Mill.
    Small town with 18th century houses built by clothmakers; racecourse.

    Winford
    Wenfre / fro / frod: Bishop of Coutances and Roger Whiting, Fulcran and Colswein from him. Mill.

    Winscombe
    Winesome / coma / cuma: Glastonbury Church and Roger de Courseulles, Ralph Crooked Hands and Pipe from the church; Bishop of Coutances. Mill. 8 cows.
    Commuter, for Bristol; Sidcot School, at nearby Shipham, founded by 17th century Quakers.

    Winsford
    Winesford / forda: King's land. Mill.
    Thatched inn; pack-horse bridge.

    Winsham
    Winesham: Osmund from Bishop of Wells. 2 mills. 13 cattle, 270 sheep.

    Winterhead
    Wintreth / tret: Herlwin from Bishop of Coutances. 8 cows.
    Below Winterhead Hill.

    Witham Friary
    Witeham: William from Roger de Courseulles.
    Ruins of England's first Carthusian monastery, founded by Henry II in penance for Becket's murder, near Witham Farm Hall. The church, c.1200, was restored in the 19th century.

    Withiel (in Cannington)
    Widiete / ieta: William from Roger de Courseulles. Mill.
    Farm.

    Withycombe
    Widicumbe / comba: Edmer from Bishop of Coutances.
    Attractive.

    Withypool
    Widepolle / polla: Robert d'Auberville.
    On Exmoor; prehistoric Stone Circle on Withypool Hill.

    Wiveliscombe
    Wivelescome / coma: Bishop of Wells before and after 1066, and 3 men-at-arms from him. Mill.
    14th century archway leading to Palace Green, all that remains of a medieval house belonging to Bishop of Bath and Wells.

    Woodborough
    Udeberge / berga: Osbern Giffard. 150 sheep.
    Farm.

    Woodspring
    Worsprinc / princa: William de Falaise (given to him by Serlo de Burcy when he married Serlo's daughter).
    Woodspring Priory, founded c.1200 by the grandson of Reginald Fitzurse, one of Becket's murderers; recently restored.

    Woodwick
    Undewiche:
    Lost.

    Woolavington
    Hunlavintone / tona: Alfred d'Epaignes from Glastonbury Church. 11 cattle, 13 horses, 33 pigs, 151 sheep.
    Woolavington Level.

    Woolley
    Wilege / Wlega / Wllega: Bishop of Coutances. 2 mills.
    One of only 14 villages in Britain to be '
    doubly thankful'; that is, to have seen the safe return of all its inhabitants who fought in both world wars.

    Woolmersdon
    Ulmerestone / tona: Walter from Alfred d'Epaignes.

    Woolston (in Bicknoller)
    Ulvretune / Ulfertuna: William de Mohun.
    On Doniford Stream.

    Woolston (in South Cadbury)
    Ufetone / tona / tuna: Drogo from Count of Mortain; Leofgeat from Thurstan FitzRolf. Mill.
    Manor farm.

    Woolston (in Stogursey)
    Ulwordestone: Robert from Roger de Courseulles.
    Farm.

    Wootton Courtenay
    Otone / Ottona: William de Falaise. Mill. 13 cattle, 150 sheep.

    Worle
    Worle / Worla: Walter de Douai. 24 cattle.
    Part of Weston-super-Mare.

    Worth
    Worde:
    Lost.

    Wraxall
    Werocasale / Worocosala / Worochesela: Bishop of Coutances and a man-at-arms from him. 2 mills. 24 cattle, 170 sheep.
    Tyntesfield, a Victorian Gothic house, nearby.

    Wrington
    Weritone / tona: Glastonbury Church and Roger de Courseulles and Saewulf, the pre-Conquest holder, from the church. 3 mills. 46 cattle, 30 pigs, 278 sheep.
    Birthplace of the philosopher John Locke (1632-1704).

    Writhlington
    Writelinctone / tuna: Brictward from the king.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    Y

    Yarlington
    Gerlintune / Gerlincgetuna: Count of Mortain. Mill.
    Yarlington House.

    Yatton
    Iatune / tuna / Eatona: Bishop of Wells and Fastrad, Hildebert and Benzelin the Archdeacon (holding the church) from him. 11 cattle, 15 pigs.
    Near the marshlands of the River Yeo and subject to flooding.

    Yeovil
    Givele / Givela / Ivle / Ivla: Count of Mortain and Amund from him; Hugh from William d'Eu. 2 mills.
    Market town, known for glove-making since the 18th century; industries now include helicopter manufacture.

    Yeovilton
    Geveltone / tona / Giveltona: Ralph Blewitt from William d'Eu. 2 mills. 12 cattle.
    On the River Yeo; Royal Naval Air Station; Fleet Air Arm Museum.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved