[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Somerset L-Q

    Click here for details Click here for details
    L

    Lamyatt
    Lamieta / Lamigeta: Nigel the Doctor from Glastonbury Church. Assessed with Alhampton, etc.
    15th century church in a farmyard; Lamyatt Lodge.

    Langford Budville
    Langeford / fordta: King's land, formerly Godwin FitzHarold. Mill.

    Langham
    Langeham / Langaham: 3-men-at-arms from William de Mohun. Mill.
    Farm.

    Langport
    Langeport / Langporth / Lanport / Lamporth / Lanporda / Lantporda: King's land; Count of Mortain (a garden). 500 sheep.
    On the River Parrett.

    Langridge
    Lancheris: Azelin from Bishop of Coutances. Mill. 200 sheep.
    Old farmhouse; Langridge House.

    Lattiford
    Lodreford / forda / Lodereforda: Humphrey the Chamberlain.
    Mill; Lattiford House.

    Laverton
    Lavretone / tona: Herbert from William d'Eu.
    On Henhambridge Brook.

    Leigh (in Old Cleeve)
    Lege: Hugh from Alfred d'Epaignes.
    Now Leigh Barton.

    Leigh (in Lydeard St. Lawrence)
    Lega: Bishop of Winchester.
    Now Chapel Leigh.

    Leigh (in Milverton)
    Lege / Lega: Manfred from William de Mohun.
    Farm.

    Leigh (in Winsham)
    Lege / Lega: Robert from William de Mohun.
    Leigh House.

    Lexworthy
    Lecheswrde / surda: Evrard from Count Eustace; Geoffrey from Roger de Courseulles. 2 mills.

    Lilstock
    Lulestoch / stoc: Ansger Cook. 25 pigs.
    Coastal.

    Limington
    Limingtone / Limintone / Limigtone / Limintona: Roger de Courseulles. Mill.
    On the River Yeo.

    Litnes
    Litelande / Littlelaneia: Bishop of Wells before and after 1066.
    Litnes field.

    Littleton (in Compton Dundon)
    Liteltone / tona: Norman from Roger de Courseulles.
    Between 2 Roman sites.

    Litton
    Litune / tuna: Canons of St. Andrews from Bishop of Wells before and after 1066. 3 mills.

    Long Ashton
    Estune / Esttuna: Bishop of Coutances and Roger the Bursar and Guy the Priest from him. Mill.
    On the outskirts of Bristol; Ashton Court, 16th-17th century with later additions.

    Long Sutton
    Sutone / tune / Sutona / tuna / Suttona: Athelney Church; Roger de Courseulles.
    Medieval Load Bridge; manor farm. Oliver Cromwell described his victory at Langport as the 'Long Sutton Mercy'.

    Lopen
    Lopen(e) / Loptone / Lopena: Gerard from Count of Mortain; Gerard Ditcher from Roger de Courseulles; Harding FitzAlnoth from the king.
    On Lopen Brook, beside the Roman Fosse Way.

    Lovington
    Lovintune / tona: Serlo de Burcy. Mill.

    Loxton
    Lochestone / tona: Count Eustace. Mill.
    Church with fine stone pulpit, typical of the Mendip area.

    Luccombe
    Locumbe / cumba: Ralph de Limesy, formerly Queen Edith; Vitalis from Odo FitzGamelin.
    Pretty; thatched cottages.

    Luckington
    Lochintone / tona: Alfred d'Epaignes. Mill.
    Now Luckington Cross; farm.

    Lufton
    Lochetone / Locutona: Ansger from Count of Mortain.
    Manor house.

    Lullington
    Loligtone / tona: Bishop of Coutances, formerly Earl Harold. Mill. 220 sheep.
    Norman church.

    Luxborough
    Lolochesberie / beria: Ranulf and Nigel from William de Mohun.
    In the Brendon Hills, a Roman iron-working area; a lead-mining community in the 19th century.

    Lyde
    Eslide / lida: Azelin from Roger Arundel.
    Now Great Lyde Farm and Little Lyde in Yeovil.

    Lydeard St. Lawrence
    Lidiard / Lediart / Lidiarda: Bishop of Winchester.

    Lyncombe
    Lincume / cuma: Bath Church. 2 mills. 180 sheep.
    South Lyncombe, part of Bath.

    Lyng
    Lege / Lega: Athelney Church.
    Once fortified; traces of earthworks. King Alfred built a causeway joining it to Athelney.

    Lytes Cary
    Curi / Kari: Humphrey the Chamberlain. 12 cattle.
    Lytes Cary manor house.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    M

    Maidenbrook
    Maidenbroche / broca: Bishop of Winchester.
    Farm.

    Manworthy
    Maneworde / Maneurda:
    Lost.

    Maperton
    Malpertone / Malperettona: Geoffrey from Thurstan FitzRolf. 2mills. 17 cattle.

    Marksbury
    Mercesberie / beria: Glastonbury Church. 29 pigs.
    18th century manor house.

    Marsh Mills
    Mulselle / sella: Hugh from Alfred d'Epaignes.

    Marston Bigot
    Mersitone / tona: Roger Arundel. Mill.
    17th-18th century Marston House.

    Marston Magna
    Merstone / tona: Count of Mortain and Robert from him.
    Once made cider.

    Martock
    M(a)ertoch / tocha / Mar / Mertocha / Maertoc / toca: King's land, formerly Queen Edith. 2 mills, fishery. 300 sheep.
    House with a 13th century hall.

    Meare
    Mere / Mera: Glastonbury Church. 3 fisheries, vineyard.
    Iron Age lake village, now on its own 'island' above the moors; 14th century Fish House; manor house, once the summer retreat of the Abbots of Glastonbury.

    Melcombe
    Melecome / coma: Robert d'Auberville. Mill.

    Mells
    Mulle / Mulla: Glastonbury Church and Bishop of Coutances and Godiva, whose husband was the pre-Conquest holder, from the church. Mill.
    Beautiful Tudor manor house, seat of the Horne family, one of whom was 'little Jack Horner' of the nursery rhyme. 4 prehistoric camps nearby: Wadbury, Tedbury, Newbury and Kingsdown.

    Merridge
    Malrige: Ranulf from Alfred d'Epaignes. Mill.
    Also Lower Merridge hamlet.

    Merriott
    Meriet: Dodman from Count of Mortain; Harding from the king. 4 mills. 10 cattle.
    Once a centre for flax and canvas.

    Middlecote
    Millescote:
    Lost.

    Middlezoy
    Sowi: Glastonbury Church.
    17 cattle. Above marshes once crossed only by causeways.

    Midelney
    Midelenie / neia: Muchelney Church. Vineyard, 2 fisheries (6000 eels). 21 cattle, 30 goats (with Muchelney and Thorney).
    Elizabethan manor; mews for falcons.

    Midgell
    Megele / gela: Leofwin from Bishop of Coutances.
    Farm.

    Milborne Port
    Meleburne / borna / burna / Milburne / borna: King's land, with Reinbald holding the church. 6 mills, market. 22 pigs, 153 sheep.
    Market town.

    Milton (in Skilgate)
    Mildetune / tuna:
    Lost.

    Milton (in Weston-super-Mare)
    Middeltone / Mildeltuna / Mideltone / tona: Richard from Walter de Douai; Alfward from Ansketel.
    Part of Weston-super-Mare.

    Milton Clevedon
    Mideltune / tuna: Hildebert from Matthew de Mortagne. Mill. 10 cattle, 60 sheep, 40 goats.
    Manor farm.

    Milverton
    Milvertone / tune / tona / tuna / Melvertona: King's land, with Stephen the Chaplain holding the church. Mill, market.
    Large. Archbishop Thomas Cranmer was an incumbent of the 15th century parsonage.

    Minehead
    Maneheue / heua: William de Mohun. Mill. 16 cattle, 300 sheep.
    Seaside resort. Its oldest part, Quay Town, has a 17th century harbour.

    Monksilver
    Selve / vere / vre / Selva / vera / vra: Aldred and Alric from Roger de Courseulles. Richard from Alfred d'Epaignes. Mill. 2 oxen.

    Monkton Combe
    Cume / Cuma: Bath Church. 2 mills.
    Large; on Midford Brrok.

    Montacute
    Montagud / gut: Count of Mortain (his castle).
    Montacute House, built of Ham Hill stone.

    Moortown
    Lamore: Ogis from Roger de Courseulles.
    Farm.

    Moreton
    Mortone / Morthona: Serlo de Burcy. Mill.
    Flooded by the Chew Valley Reservoir.

    Mudford
    Mudiford / forda / Mundiford / forda / Modiforda: King's lands; Warmund from Wulfward White, an English thane; Dodman from Count of Mortain; Reginald from Serlo de Burcy. Mill. 23 pigs.
    On the River Yeo.

    Mudford Sock
    Soche: Vitalis from Roger de Courseulles.

    Myne
    Mene:
    Lost.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    N

    Nettlecombe
    Netecumbe / coba / comba / Netelcumbe / comba: King's land, formerly Godwin FitzHarold.
    On Exmoor; Nettlecombe Court, home of the Raleigh family.

    Newhall
    Neuhalle / Newiahalla:
    Lost.

    Newton (in Bicknoller)
    Niwetune / Niuetuna: William de Mohun. Mill.

    Newton (in North Petherton)
    Newentone / tona / Newetone / tune / Niwetone / tona: Alfred of Marlborough from Count Eustace; Robert from Roger de Courseulles; Ralph from Roger Arundel; Stable from John the Usher. Mill.
    On the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal.

    Newton St. Loe
    Niwetone / New / Niwetona: Bishop of Coutances. Mill. 12 cattle.
    Newton Park, now a teacher training college.

    North Cadbury
    Cadeberie / beria: Thurstan FitzRolf. 2 mills. 31 cattle, 60 pigs.
    Attractive. Tudor manor house.

    North Curry
    Nortcuri / Nordchori / Nortchori: King's land, formerly Earl Harold, with Bishop Maurice holding the church; Ansger le Breton from Count of Mortain. Fishery, vineyard. 20 cattle, 20 pigs, 100 sheep.

    North Perrott
    Peret / Peredt: Bretel from Count of Mortain. 2 mills.
    Manor house and park.

    North Petherton
    Nordperet / pereth / Nortperret / Petreta / Pedret / Peretune / tuna: King's land, formerly King Edward. Mill.
    Large.

    North Wootton
    Utone / Utona: Edred from Glastonbury Church.

    Norton FitzWarren
    Nortone / tona: Alfred from Count of Mortain. 2 mills.
    Attractive; 14th century church.

    Norton Malreward
    Nortone / tona: Wulfeva from Bishop of Coutances. Mill.
    Hauteville's Quoit, a single stone forming part of a Bronze Age complex, nearby.

    Norton St. Philip
    Nortune / tuna: Edward of Salisbury. Sheriff of Wiltshire. Mill. 20 cattle, 28 pigs, 240 sheep.
    Partly 14th century George Inn.

    Norton sub Hamdon
    Nortone / tona: St. Mary's Church, Grestain from Count of Mortain. 2 mills. 10 cattle.

    Nunnery
    Noiun / Nonin: Thorgils from William de Mohun. mill. 20 pigs.
    Attractive; ruins of a 14th century moated castle.

    Nynehead
    Nichehede / Nichebede: Bishop of Winchester.
    Nynehead Court.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    O

    Oake
    Acha / Ache / Acca: Geoffrey de Vautortes from Roger de Courseulles. Mill.
    Farmhouse; tithe barn.

    Oakley
    Accheleia / Achelai / Achelaia: King's land.
    Oakley House; Oakley Farms.

    Oaktrow
    Wochetreu: Durand from William de Mohun.
    Oaktrow Wood.

    Oare
    Are / Ar: Ralph de Pomeroy. 20 cattle.
    Remote; features in Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore.

    Odcombe
    Udecome / Odecoma: Ansger le Breton from Count of Mortain. Mill. 126 sheep.
    Birthplace of Thomas Coryate (1577-1617), whose Crudities, about his travels in Europe, was published in 1611.

    Old Cleeve
    Clive / Cliva: King's land, formerly Earl Harold. 2 mills. 300 wethers, 50 goats.
    Cleeve Abbey, founded in 1138, an unusual example of Cistercian domestic architecture.

    Old Stowey
    Staweit / Estaweit: Durand from William de Mohun.
    In the Brendon Hills.

    Orchardleigh
    Horcelei / Hordcerleia / Orcerleia: Bishop of Coutances. Mill. 3 cobs.
    19th century Elizabethan-style house; church where the poet Sir Henry Newbolt (1862-1938) is buried.

    Otterhampton
    Otramestone / tona / Otremetone / Otrammetona / Oterammatona: Robert from Roger de Courseulles; Herbert from Alfred d'Epaignes, Osmer, whose father was the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.
    Hill House, near the mouth of the River Parrett.

    Overleigh
    Lega: Glastonbury Church. 20 pigs.
    Part of Street.

    Over Stratton
    Stratone: King's land.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    P

    Panborough
    Wadeneberie / Padenaberia: Glastonbury Church. Island, vineyard.
    Locality near Wedmore.

    Pardlestone
    Plestone / tona: Roger de Courseulles.
    Farms; Pardlestone Hill.

    Pawlett
    Pauelet / Paulet: Rademar from Walter de Douai.
    Church with a fine Norman doorway; owned by John of Gaunt in the 14th century.

    Pedwell
    Pedewelle / willa: Walter de Douai from Glastonbury Church.

    Pendomer
    Penne / Penna: Alfred from Count of Mortain. 12 cattle, 35 pigs, 250 sheep.
    Remote; 16th century manor house.

    Pennard
    Pennarminstre / ministra: Glastonbury Church and Serlo de Burcy from the church. 42 cattle, 25 pigs.
    Now East Pennard; Pennard House.

    Penselwood
    Penne / Penna: William Gerard from Roger Arundel. Mill.
    Site of a Saxon victory in 658.

    Perry
    Peri / Pedri: William and Geoffrey de Vautortes from Roger de Courseulles; Ralph from Roger Arundel; John the Usher.
    Farm.

    Petherham
    Perredham: Ansketel from Roger de Courseulles.
    Farm.

    Pightley
    Puchelege / lega: Geoffrey de Vautortes from Roger de Courseulles. mill.

    Pillock's Orchard
    Pilloch / Pilloc: Ansketel from Roger de Courseulles.
    Field in Cannington.

    Pilton
    Piltone / tona: Glastonbury Church and Ralph Crooked Hands from the church. 2 mills. 4 cobs, 35 cattle, 56 pigs, 500 sheep, 42 goats.

    Pitcombe
    Pidecome / coma: Thurstan FitzRolf. 2 mills. 6 unbroken mares, 12 cattle, 60 pigs.
    Godminster Farm, mainly 15th century, nearby.

    Pitcott
    Picote / cota / Piccota: Edmund FitzPayne; William Hussey from Geoffrey of Mowbray. Mill.

    Pitminster
    Piperminstre / Pinpeministre: Bishop of Winchester. Mill. 2 pigs.
    16th century houses, Poundisford Park and Poundisford Lodge, nearby.

    Pitney
    Petenie / neia: King's land, formerly Wulfward White.
    Pitney House.

    Pixton
    Potesdone / dona: Roger de Coursuelles.
    Pixton Park; remains of a 12th century priory at nearby Barlinch.

    Plainsfield
    Planesfelle / fella: Hugh from Alfred d'Epaignes.
    On the edge of Quantock Forest.

    Podimore
    Mideltone / Middeltona: Glastonbury Church.

    Poleshill
    Pouselle / ella: Dodman from William de Mohun.

    Ponteside
    Panteshede: Roger de Cuorseulles.
    Possibly the valley where Towerhead Brook rises.

    Porlock
    Portloc: Drogo from Baldwin of Exeter.
    Coastal; tourist centre.

    Portbury
    Porberie / beria: Bishop of Coutances. 2 mills. 14 unbroken mares, 15 cattle, 216 sheep.
    Portbury Dock at the mouth of the Avon.

    Portishead
    Porteshe / heue: William de Monceaux from Bishop of Coutances. Mill. 60 goats.
    Part of the Severnside Industrial Area; resort in the 19th century.

    Preston (in Milverton)
    Prestetone / tune / Prestitone: Robert FitzIvo from Count of Mortain, formerly Earl Harold; Hugh from Alfred d'Epaignes. 2 mills. 13 cattle.
    Now Preston Bowyer.

    Preston Plucknett
    Prestetone: Ansger of Montacute.
    On the outskirts of Yeovil; fine medieval tithe barn.

    Priston
    Prisctone / tona: Bath Church. Mill.
    Remote.

    Puckington
    Pochintune / Pokintuna / Pochingtona: William from Roger de Courseulles.

    Puriton
    Peritone / tona: The only holding of St. Peter's, Rome, a reward for the Pope's encouragement of the Conquest.
    Town, site of the Royal Ordnance Factory.

    Pylle
    Pille / Pilla: Serlo de Burcy from Glastonbury Church.
    Manor house.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Q

    Quantock
    Cantoche / toca:
    Lost.

    Quarme
    Carme / Carma: Manfred from William de Mohun, Godbold. 15 cattle.
    Now 2 hamlets, North and South Quarme.

    Queen Camel
    Camel: King's land, formerly Countess Gytha. 2 mills. 12 cattle, 20 pigs, 300 sheep.
    Hazelgrove Park, a Tudor house built in the 18th century.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved