[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Somerset E-K

    Click here for details Click here for details
    E

    Earnshill
    Erneshel / Erneshele / helt: Wulfward from Roger de Courseulles; Gerard, the king's servant.
    Earnshill House.

    East Bower
    Bur / Burh: Rademar from Walter de Douai; Alfred d'Epaignes. 16 cattle, 23 pigs.
    On the outskirts of Bridgwater.

    East Brent
    Brentemerse: Glastonbury Church.
    Below Brent Knoll, an Iron Age hill-fort occupied by the Romans.

    East Cranmore
    Crenemelle / Crenemella: Harding, the pre-Conquest holder, from Glastonbury Church. Mill.
    Saxon cross over the church's vestry door.

    East Harptree
    Harpetreu / threu: Azelin from Bishop of Coutances. Mill.
    Earthworks of a 12th century castle; late Neolithic / Early Bronze Age Priddy Circles nearby.

    East Lydeard
    Lidiard: William de Mohun.

    East Lydford
    Lideford / forda: Roger de Courseulles from Glastonbury Church. Mill. 160 sheep.

    East Quantoxhead
    Cantocheheve / tocheve / heva: Ralph de Reuilly from Ralph Pagnell. Mill.
    16th century farm near Quantock's Head Point.

    Easthams
    Estham / Esteha / ham: Thurstan from Count of Mortain, formerly Godwin, the king's reeve.
    Farm.

    Easton in Gordano
    Estone / tona: Roger FitzRalph from Bishop of Coutances. Mill. 12 cattle, 200 sheep.
    Adjoining Pill on the River Avon.

    Eastrip
    Estrope / ropa / Storpe: Ripe from Thurstan; Guard from the king.
    Eastrip field near Bruton.

    Eckweek
    Ecewiche / Eccewica: Alfred from Count of Mortain; Walter de Douai.
    Eckweek House.

    Edington
    Edwinetone / tona: Roger de Courseulles from Glastonbury Church.
    Holy well, said to be the site of Aethandune, King Alfred's victory over the Danes.

    Edingworth
    Lodenwrde / Lodenawirda: Walter de Douai from Glastonbury Church. 15 cattle.
    Manor Farm.

    Edstock
    Ichetoche / tocha:
    Lost.

    Elborough
    Eleberie / Elleberia / Lilebere / Illebera: Azelin from Count of Mowbray. 200 sheep.

    Eleigh
    Illege / lega: William de Daumeray from Roger de Courseulles.
    Eleighwater House.

    Elm
    Telwe: Osbern Giffard. 2 mills. 250 sheep.
    Now Great Elm.

    Elworthy
    Elwrda: Dodman from William de Mohun. Mill.

    Emble
    Imele / mela: Alric from Roger de Courseulles.
    Embelle Farm.

    Emborough
    Amelberge / berga / beria: Robert from Bishop of Coutances. 25 pigs, 158 wethers.
    Emborough Ponds; Emborough Grove.

    Englishcombe
    Engliscome / Ingleliscuma: Nigel de Gournai from Bishop of Coutances. 2 mills. 137 sheep.
    Near the Saxon Wansdyke; traces of Gournay Castle; tithe barn of Bath Abbey.

    Enmore
    Animere / mera: Geoffrey from Roger de Courseulles.
    Church; park; remains of Enmore Castle; an 18th century Gothic building.

    Evercreech
    Evrecriz / Evercriz: Bishop of Wells, the pre-Conquest holder, and Erneis, Maghere and Hildebert from him. 200 sheep.
    Attractive; old cottages; almshouses; Iron Age hill-fort on nearby Small Down.

    Eversy
    Eveshe:
    Lost.

    Exford
    Aisseford / forde / forda: Roger de Courseulles and Ednoth and William from him; William de Mohun.
    Kennels of the Devon and Somerset stag-hounds.

    Exton
    Essetune / tuna / Essatuna: Drogo from Bishop of Coutances.
    On Exmoor.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Fairoak
    Ecferdintone / Hecferdintona:
    Lost.

    Farleigh Hungerford
    Ferlege / lega: Aelmer from Roger de Courseulles.
    Ruins of Farleigh Castle, built by Sir Thomas Hungerford, Speaker of the House of Commons, in 14th century; Farleigh House nearby.

    Farmborough
    Ferenberge / berga / beria: William from Bishop of Coutances. 215 sheep.
    Farmborough Common.

    Farrington Gurney
    Ferentone / tona: Azelin from Bishop of Coutances.

    Fiddington
    Fitintone / tona: Hugh from Roger Arundel. 2 mills. 12 cattle.

    Fivehead
    Fifhide / Fihida: Bertram from Roger de Courseulles.
    John Wesley preached one of his first sermons at nearby Cathanger Farm.

    Foddington
    Fedintone / Fodintona / Fodindone: Hugh de Vautortes from Count of Mortain; Hugh de Vautortes and Azelin from Humphrey the Chamberlain.

    Ford
    Aeford / Eford / Laford / Iafort: Alfred from Count of Mortain.
    On the River Tone.

    Foxcote
    Fuscote / cota: William de Monceaux from Bishop of Coutances. Mill. 20 cattle, 177 sheep.
    On Wellow Brook.

    Freshford
    Firford / forda: Roger Whiting from Bishop of Coutances, formerly Tovi, Sheriff of Somerset.
    On the Avon Canal.

    Frome
    Frome / Froma: King's land, formerly King Edward; Reinbald of St. John's Church. 4 mills, market. 228 sheep.
    Market town, formerly a cloth centre, with narrow, old streets and 18th century almshouses.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    G

    Gilcott
    Gildenecote:
    Lost.

    Glastonbury
    Glastingberie / Glaestingeberia: Glastonbury Church. Vineyard. 5 cobs, 58 cattle, 20 pigs, 50 goats.
    Town, famous for the Glastonbury legends and the site of country's earliest Christian shrine, also Avalon in Arthurian legend; abbey ruins. Glastonbury Tor has a 13th century tower, and was first occupied in the Dark Ages; mounds in the valley were a pre-Roman lake village.

    Goathurst
    Gahers: Walter and Ansger Fower from Alfred of Spain.
    Tudor Halswell Park.

    Gothelney
    Godelege / lega: Geoffrey from Roger de Courseulles. Share of a mill.
    Now Gothelney Green; Gothelney Hall.

    Greenham
    Grindeham: Bretel from Count of Mortain. Mill.
    On the River Tone, 14th century manor house.

    Greinton
    Graintone / tona: Gerard Ditcher from Glastonbury Church.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    H

    Hadworthy
    Hateware / wara:
    Lost.

    Hallatrow
    Helgetrau / Helegetriueia: Roger from Bishop of Coutances.

    Halse
    Halsa / Halse: Roger Arundel. Mill.
    Attractive; on Halse Water.

    Halsway
    Halsweie / weia: Alric, the pre-Conquest holder, from Roger de Courseulles.
    Halsway Manor.

    Halswell
    Hasewelle / willa: Guy from Roger Arundel.
    17th century Halswell Park, with a small temple.

    Ham
    Hame: Glastonbury Church and Robert d'Auberville, Serlo de Burcy and Gerard Ditcher from the abbot. 150 sheep.
    Village of High Ham overlooking Sedgemoor.

    Hamp
    Hame / Hamet: Athelney Church.
    Hamp House in Bridgwater.

    Hardington (near Frome)
    Hardintone / Hardingtona / Hardintona: Ralph Rufus from Bishop of Coutances.

    Hardington Mandeville
    Hardintone / tona: King's land, formerly Gunhilda, Earl Godwin's daughter.

    Hartrow
    Haretreu: Roger from William de Mohun. Mill.
    Hartrow House.

    Haselbury Plucknett
    Halberge / berga: Brictmer the Englishman, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. Mill.
    Manor farm; St. Wulfric's cell under the church.

    Hatch Beauchamp
    Hache / Hachia / Bachia: Robert the Constable from Count of Mortain. 58 goats.
    Church in the grounds of Hatch Court.

    Havyat
    Atigete / Attigetta: Brungar the Englishman from Bishop of Coutances.
    Farm.

    Hawkwell
    Hauechewelle / Hauekewell: Ulf, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king.
    Now Hawkwell Cross; farm.

    Hay Street
    Haia:
    Lost.

    Heathfield
    Hafella / Herfeld / felt: Ralph from William de Mohun. Mill.
    Heathfield Lodge.

    Hele (in Bradford)
    Hele / Hela / Bela: Alfred from Count of Mortain. Mill.
    Manor house.

    Hemington
    Hamintone / Hamitone / Hamintona / Hammingtona: Baldwin of Exeter, Sheriff of Devon. 245 sheep.

    Henstridge
    Hengesterich / Hesterige: King's land, formerly Earl Harold; St. Severus Church from Hugh d'Avranches. 438 wethers.

    High Littleton
    Liteltone / tona: Ralph Rufus from Bishop of Coutances. Mill.

    Hill
    Hille / Hilla: Roger de Courseulles.
    Farm.

    Hillfarrance
    Hilla / Hille / Billa: Walter from Alfred d'Epaignes. Mill.
    On Hillfarrance Brook; cottages round a green.

    Hinton Blewett
    Hantone / tona: Ralph Blewitt from William d'Eu. Mill. 150 sheep.

    Hinton Charterhouse
    Hantone / tona: Edward of Salisbury. 2 mills. 200 sheep.
    Ruins of Hinton Priory, founded by the Countess of Salisbury in 1232.

    Hinton St. George
    Hantone / tona: William d'Eu. 2 mills. 200 sheep.
    Attractive; Hinton House.

    Hiscombe
    Hasecumbe / Hasce / Hassecomba / Hetsecome / coma:
    Lost.

    Holcombe
    Holearbe:
    Lost.

    Holford (near Lydeard St. Lawrence)
    Holeford / fort: William and Alric from Roger de Courseulles.
    Now 2 hamlets, Treble and Rich's Holford.

    Holford St. Mary
    Holeford / Hulofort: Hugh from William de Mohun. Mill. 64 goats.
    Now Holford.

    Holne
    Holme:
    Lost.

    Holnicote
    Hunecote / cota / Hunnecota: 2 nuns, as a royal grant; William from Roger de Courseulles.

    Holton
    Altone / Haltona: Aelfric from Humphrey the Chamberlain.
    13th century church.

    Honibere
    Herdeneberie / Herderneberia: Ansketel.
    Farm.

    Hornblotton
    Horblawetone / tona: Serlo de Burcy from Glastonbury Church. Assessed with Alhampton etc.
    Near the Roman Fosse Way; cottages round a green.

    Horsey
    Hursi: Rademar from Walter de Douai. 20 pigs.
    Manor farm nearby.

    Horsey Pignes
    Pignes / Peghenes:
    Lost.

    Horsington
    Horstenetone / Horsstenetona: William FitzGuy. Mill.

    Houndstone
    Hundestone / tona: Ansger from Count of Mortain.
    Near Yeovil Aerodrome.

    Huish (in Burnham on Sea)
    Hiwis:
    Lost.

    Huish (in Nettlecombe)
    Hewis: Bertram from Roger de Courseulles; Ralph de Rouilly from Ralph Pagnell. Mill.
    Now Huish Barton; on Exmoor.

    Huish Champflower
    Hiwis / Hiwys: Roger Arundel. Mill.
    Attractive.

    Huntspill
    Honspil: Walter de Douai. 14 mares, 6 wild mares.
    On Huntspill River, recently re-channelled to prevent flooding.

    Hunstile
    Hustille / tilla: John the Usher.

    Huntworth
    Hunteworde / euorda: Richard de Merri from Alfred d'Epaignes.

    Hutton
    Hotune / tuna / Hoctona / Hutune / tona: Azelin from Bishop of Coutances.
    Hutton Court.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    I

    Idson
    Edeuestona / tone: Ansketel from Roger de Courseulles.
    Farm.

    Ilchester
    Giuelcestre / Giuelecestre / Giuel / Giulecestra / Ciulecestra / Ecclesia S Andreae: Bishop Maurice of London holding St. Andrew's Church and some land. Mill.
    Town, once a Roman settlement, on the Fosse Way; birthplace of Roger Bacon (1214-94).

    Ilminster
    Ileminstre / monstre: Muchelney Abbey. 3 mills, market.
    Busy market town with 18th century houses.

    Ilton
    Atiltone / tona / Hiltona: Athelney Church. Mill.
    17th century almshouses.

    Isle Abbots
    Ile / Ila: Muchelney Church. Mill.
    Marshland. The north aisle of the church was added by Margaret Beaufort, Henry VIII's mother.

    Isle Brewers
    Ile / Isle / Ila / Isla: Ansger le Breton from Count of Mortain; Richard de Merri from Alfred d'Epaignes. 2 mills. 150 sheep, 60 goats.
    Called after the Norman de Briwere family.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    K

    Keinton Mandeville
    Chintone / tune / tona / tuna / Chigtona: Mauger from Count of Mortain.
    Birthplace of Sir Henry Irving (1838-1905).

    Kenn
    Chen / Chent: Bishop of Coutances.
    On the River Kenn; manor farm on Kenn Moor.

    Kewstoke
    Chiwestoch / stoc: Osbern from Gilbert FitzThorold. 5 unbroken mares, 18 cattle.
    Adjoining Weston-super-Mare. The Becket Cup in Taunton Museum is purportedly a relic containing the blood of Thomas à Becket.

    Keyford
    Caivel / Chaivert / Kaivert: Nigel from Bishop of Coutances. Norman from Thurston FitzRolf. Mill.
    Now Little Keyford.

    Keynsham
    Cainesham / essam: King's land and Bishop of Coutances, Wulfward's wife and Aelfric from the king. 6 mills. 700 sheep.
    Commuter area for Bristol; modern shopping centre.

    Kilmersdon
    Chenemeresdone / Chinemeresdone: King's land.

    Kilton
    Chilvetune / tun / Diuetona: William de Mohun and Ralph, a man-at-arms, from him.
    Coastal.

    Kilve
    Clive / Cliva: Roger de Courseulles. Mill. 50 goats.
    Ruins of a 14th century chantry.

    Kingsbury Episcopi
    Chingesberie / Kingesberia: Bishop of Wells and 3 men-at-arms and a clerk from him. 2 mills.
    On the River Parrett.

    Kingstone
    Chingestone / stana: Hubert de St. Clair from Count of Mortain.

    Kingston Seymour
    Cingestone / tona: William de Monceaux from Bishop of Coutances.
    Marshland.

    Kingweston
    Chinwardstune / Kinuardestuna: Ida of Boulogne, formerly Wulfeva.
    Kingweston House.

    Kittisford
    Chedesford / forda: William from Roger Arundel. Mill.

    Knowle (in Timberscombe)
    Ernole: Roger from William de Mohun. 7 wild mares, 20 cattle.
    Knowle Hill.

    Knowle Park
    Chenolle / nolla: Drogo de Montacute. 26 pigs.
    Knowlepark Farm.

    Knowle St. Giles
    Chenolle / nolla: William de Duameray from Roger de Courseulles.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved