|Babacha / Babakari / Babecari / Babbacari: Robert FitzIvo from Count of Mortain; Humphrey the Chamberlain.|
18th century Babington House and church.
|Babingtone / Babbig / Babbingtona: Azelin from Bishop of Coutances. Mill. 200 sheep.|
Manor house; Backwell Quarries.
|Bacoile / Bacoila: Fulcran and Nigel from Bishop of Coutances. Mill.|
|Bagewerre / werra: Fulcwin from Walter de Douai.|
Now the village of West Bagborough and hamlet of East Bagborough; church in the grounds of Bagborough House.
|Bageberge / berga / Bagaberga / Baweberga / Bagueberga: William de Mohun; Ralph from Ralph Pagnell.|
Bagley (in Stoke Pero) Deserted site.
Birthplace of St. Dunstan (924-88).
|Baltunesberge / berga: Glastonbury Church. Mill.|
19th century 'cottage orne' and park, 'The Caves'. Remains of prehistoric mammals were found in Bone Caves on nearby Banwell Hill.
|Banwelle / Banuela: Bishop of Wells and Serlo de Burcy, Ralph Crooked Hands, Roghard, Fastrad, Bofa and Alfry from him, formerly Earl Harold. 3 mills.|
Thatched cottages; 16th century manor house.
|Barintone / tona: Roger de Courseulles.|
Barrow (near Castle Cary)
Now 2 villages, North and South Barrow.
|Berrowene: Bretel from Count of Mortain; Ralph from Walter de Douai.|
Named after its Domesday holder; 16th century manor house.
|Berue / Berua: Nigel de Gournai-en-Brai from Bishop of Wells. Mill.|
Barton St. David
Overlooking Glastonbury Tor.
|Bertone / tuna / tona: Norman from Roger de Courseulles; Edmund FitzPayne from the king. 2 mills.|
The 'raging Batcombeites', Puritans who fought in the Civil War, are commemorated in Bruton parish register.
|Batecumba / comba: Roger de Courseulles and Azelin from Glastonbury Church, formerly Alfhild, the Abbot's mother. Mill. 150 sheep.|
City, originally called Aquae Sulis by the Romans, after its mineral springs. The See of Wells was transferred here in 1088; fine 18th century architecture.
|Bada / Bade: Before 1066 it paid tax for 20 hides when the shire paid tax. The King has 64 burgesses who pay £4; 90 burgesses of other men pay 60s there. The King has 6 derelict houses. This Borough, with the said BATHEASTON, pays £60 at face value and 1 gold mark. Besides this, the mint pays 100s. Edward the Sheriff pays £11 of the third penny of this Borough. From this Borough 1 house has been taken away. Hugh the Interpreter holds it; value 2s. Of the third penny (of) ILCHESTER William of Mohun pays £6 at 20 (pence) to the ora; of MILBORNE (Port) 20s; of BRUTON 20s; of LANGPORT 10s; of AXBRIDGE 10s; of FROME 5s.|
Close to Bath. The quarries on Bathampton Downs provided stone for many houses in Bath.
|Hantone / Hamtona: Hugh the Interpreter and Colgrim, an Englishman from Bath Church.|
Partly 17th century farm.
|Badeheltone / tona: Nigel from William de Mohun. 50 goats.|
Suburb of Bath.
|Estone / tona: King's land; Walter Hussey from Bath Church; Hugolin the Interpreter. 2 mills. 150 sheep.|
On the outskirts of Bath, by the River Avon.
|Forde / Forda: Bath Church. Mill.|
Part of Bath.
|Wiche / Wica: Bishop of Wells. Mill. 250 sheep.|
Ruins of a 19th century 'castle'.
|Bagetrepe / Bagatrepa: Rainward from Walter de Douai. Mill. 20 pigs.|
16th century houses; Birthplace of Thomas Beckington (1390-1465), Bishop of Bath and Wells and secretary to Henry IV.
|Bechintone / tona: Roger [Bushell] holds BECHINTONE himself. Aethelfrith held it before 1066; it paid tax for 10 hides. Land for 10 ploughs. In lordship 2 ploughs; 5 hides and 3 virgates. 9 villagers and 7 smallholders have 6 ploughs and 4 hides and 1 virgate. A mill which pays 20s; meadow, 12 acres; pasture, 8 acres; woodland, 100 acres. 24 pigs; 100 sheep; 50 goats. Value when he acquired it, £10; now £6.|
|Bere / Bera: Reginald de Vautortes from Count of Mortain.|
|Bera: Leofa, the pre-Conquest holder. Mill.|
Adjoining Pensford on the River Chew.
|Beletone / Belgetone / tona: Alfred from Count Eustace. Mill.|
17th century manor house; Georgian house.
|Berchelei / lec: Robert from Roger Arundel. Mill.|
|Bichehalle / halda: William de Lestre from Count of Mortain.|
On the River Avill.
|Bichecome / comma: Richard from William de Mohun.|
|Lediart / Liediart / Lidegar: William de Mohun. Mill.|
Church with a Poussin painting of the Madonna.
|Bicheurde / Bischeurda / Biscopewrde / wrda: Herlwin and Azelin from Bishop of Coutances.|
Blackford (near Wincanton)
Thatched cottages; medieval dovecote.
|Blacheford / Blachafort: Alwaker from Glastonbury Church; Alfward from Thurstan FitzRolf.|
|Blachemore / Blachamora: Ansketel from Roger de Courseulles.|
Near Blagdon Lake Reservoir.
|Blachedone / dona: Serlo de Burcy. 2 mills.|
Near beautiful Bleadon Hill.
|Bledone / dona: Bishop of Winchester. 250 sheep.|
Coastal; Bossington Hill.
|Bosintone / tuna / tona: Ralph de Limesy.|
Bradford (on Tone)
On the River Tone; 2 originally 14th century bridges.
|Bradeforde / forda: Alfred the Butler from Count of Mortain. Mill.|
|Bradenie / neia: Rainward from Walter de Douai.|
Now North Bradon; South Bradon farm.
|Brede / Bredde / Bredene / Brade: Mauger and Drogo from Count of Mortain; Harding from the king.|
Bratton (in Minehead)
On the outskirts of Minehead.
|Bratone / tona: Roger from William de Mohun. 12 cattle, 60 goats.|
|Broctune / tuna: Gerard from Walter de Douai.|
Brean Holiday resort. Brean Sands were noted for shipwrecks.
Now 2 villages, North and South Brewham; Brewham House.
|Briweham: William de Mohun. 2 mills. 300 sheep, 22 wild mares.|
Industrial town, port in the Middle Ages.
|Brugie: Walter de Douai. Mill.|
Called after the road leading to the medieval forest of Neroche.
|Bradewei: Mauger from Count of Mortain.|
|Bradewrde / euda: William de Mohun.|
Brockley Court manor house, with a farm. A nature trail leads through Brockley Combe.
|Brochelie / leia: Aldred, the pre-Conquest holder.|
|Broford / Brofort: William from Roger de Courseulles.|
On the edge of the Brendon Hills; Elworthy Barrows, an Iron Age hill-fort.
|Burnetone / tuna / tona: Thorgils from William de Mohun. Mill.|
King's Brompton Forest nearby.
|Brunetone / tona: Count of Mortain from the king and Hugh de Vautortes from him, formerly Countess Gytha. 2 mills.|
Fyne Court is part of Somerset Trust for Nature Conservation.
|Brunfelle / fella: William de Mohun. 155 sheep.|
Court Farms on the Domesday site.
|Brune: Durand from William de Mohun. 190 sheep, 44 goats.|
17th century hospital.
|Brigeford / fort / Bricefort / Brucheford: Mauger from Count of Mortain. Mill.|
Small town on the River Brue.
|Brauetone / Briuetona / Briutona / Briweton / tone / tona / Brumetone: King's land, formerly King Edward. 6 mills.|
Mainly 16th century, Brympton House, with a church and a dower house.
|Brunetone / tona: Herbert from Roger de Courseulles.|
|Bochelande / land / landa: Dunn, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. Mill.|
Buckland St. Mary
In the Black Down Hills.
|Bochelande / land / landa: Brictric, Wulfward and Harding from the king.|
Manor house; gabled farm.
|Bernet: Wife of Wulfward from the king.|
Burnham on Sea
Holiday resort. The church contains the remains of an altarpiece carved by Grinling Gibbons for Whitehall Palace.
|Burneham: Walter de Douai.|
Farm near Blagdon Lake.
|Budicombe / comba: Fulcran from Bishop of Coutances. Mill.|
Butleigh Court; monument on nearby Windmill Hill to Admiral Sir Samuel Hood (1724-1816).
|Bodechelie / Bodecaleia / Boduchelei / Boduccheleia: Roger de Courseulles from Glastonbury Church; Count of Mortain; formerly Winegot the Priest.|