Large; mining; Norman carved stones in the church. Probably the birthplace of William Lee, inventor of the stocking frame, which began the Nottinghamshire hosiery industry in the 17th century; stocking knitters' cottages and museum.
|Calvretone: Archbishop of York; Roger de Poitou; Aelfric, the pre-Conquest holder, from the king. Church.|
Carburton In Sherwood Forest.
17th century hall; prettiest village in the county.
|Colestone / tune: King's land; Roger from Roger de Bully; Walkelin from Walter d'Aincourt.|
Carlton (near Nottingham)
Urban district adjoining Nottingham.
|Carentune: Geoffrey Alselin.|
Carlton in Lindrick
Hall and lake; church with a Saxon tower and 12th century chapel.
|Careltune / Caretune: King's land; Turold from Roger de Bully. Church, 2 mills.|
Quiet; by the River Trent.
|Carentune / Carleton(e) / Carle(n)tun(e): King's land; William from Count Alan; Archbishop of York; Roger de Bully; Geoffrey Alselin; Haldane from the king. Mill.|
On The Beck stream; 15th century manor and windmill.
|Calnestone / tune: Archbishop of York; Geoffrey Alselin. Mill.|
Part of Beeston by Nottingham; nature reserve and lake.
|Chideuuelle / Ciduuelle / Cilleuuelle: William Peverel; Ralph fitzHubert.|
By Chesterfield Canal; hall and ancient yew tree.
|Claueburgh / Claureburg: Archbishop of York; Fulk and Ulfkell from Roger de Bully; Ernwin, the pre-Conquest holder, and Wulfmer from the king.|
On Chesterfield Canal; manor house.
|Clauorde: King's land; Fulk from Roger de Bully.|
Now part of Nottingham; green. The church contains relics of the Clifton family, after whom the village was named.
|Cliftun(e): William Peverel, formerly Countess Gytha; Ulfkell from the king. Church and mill.|
Now 2 small villages, North and South Clifton.
|Cliftone / Cliftune / Cli(s)tone: Bishop of Lincoln; Siwat, Agemund and Ralph from him; Roger from Roger de Bully. ¼ church.|
|Clipestune: Roger de Bully.|
On the River Mann by Sherwood Forest; remains of King John's Palace, possibly built by the kings of Northumbria. Edward I held a parliament here in 1290. It was also a Tudor hunting lodge.
|Clipestune: Roger de Bully. Mill.|
Clown Clown Hill Plantation by Great Lake in Welbeck Park.
Clumber Bridge and Weir on the River Poulter; Clumber Park.
|Clumbre / Clunbre: King's land; Ulfkell and Fulk from Roger de Bully. Mill.|
Old dovecote; ruined windmill.
|Cotintone / tun: Bothild from Bishop of Lincoln; Losoard and Oudkell from Bishop of Bayeux.|
Now 2 villages, North and South Collingham, near the Roman town of Crocacalana; remains of a Roman bridge by Cromwell Lock and Weir on River Trent. 2 churches are possibly 7th century, but were rebuilt in Norman times.
|Collingeham: Peterborough Abbey before and after 1066; Ralph de Limesy. 2 churches, 2 mills.|
Part of Nottingham; old church; racecourse and country park.
|Colui / euul: Waland from William Peverel; Aelfric and Bugg from the king. Church, mill, ½ fishery.|
The first coal was dug here 7 centuries ago.
|Coteshale: William Peverel; Ralph FitzHubert.|
Church with a fragment of Saxon preaching cross.
|Cortingestoche(s) / Cotingestoche: Roger de Bully; Godwin from William Peverel; William from Ralph de Buron.|
Large; colliery. The remain of Roman soldiers were found in graves nearby.
|Godegrave: Ralph de Buron and Jocelyn and Warner from him; Roger de Poitou. ½ church.|
|Cotes / Cotun(e): Bishop of Lincoln; Wazelin from Bishop of Bayeux; Walter d'Aincourt. Church.|
|Cotune: Fulk from Roger de Bully.|
On the River Trent; lock and weir; ruins of house said to be that of Ralph Lord Cromwell, Treasurer to Henry VI; 13th century restored church on old foundations.
|Crunuuelle: Gilbert Tison; Haldane from the king. Church, mill, fishery.|
Originally called Crophill Bishop.
|Crophelle / hille: Archbishop of York.|
|Crophelle / hille: Walter d'Aincourt; Roger de Poitou; Ilbert de Lacy.|
In Sherwood Forest, on the River Poulter. In 1950 a number of skeletons, possibly of men killed in battle in the 12th century, were found buried under the nave.
|Chuchenai: Geoffrey from Roger de Bully; Richard from Hugh FitzBaldric. Church, 2 mills.|