[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Kent O-Z

    Click here for details Click here for details
    O

    Oakleigh
    Arclei: Ralph son of Thorold from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Near a ruined priory.

    Oare
    Ora / e: Adam from Bishop of Bayeux. 1 churches, mill, 2 fisheries, salthouse.

    Offham
    Ofeham: Hugh de Port and Ansketel from Bishop of Bayeux. 2 mills.

    Old Romney
    Romenel: Archbishop of Canterbury. 3 fisheries, mill, church.
    Outskirts of New Romney.

    Old Shelve
    Estselve: Bishop of Bayeux.
    Old Shelve Farm.

    Orlestone
    Orlavestone: William from Hugh de Montfort.

    Orpington
    Orpinton / tun: Mauger from Archbishop of Canterbury; Archbishop of Canterbury's monks. 3 mills, 2 churches.
    Suburb of Greater London.

    Ospringe
    Ospringes: Hugh from Bishop of Bayeux. King received penalties for house-breaking, breach of the peace, highway robbery. Church, mill, fishery, salthouse.

    Otford
    Otefort: Archbishop of Canterbury. 8 mills.
    Ruins of Otford Castle, the Archbishop of Canterbury's manor, where Thomas à Beckett stayed. The castle was given to Henry VIII by Archbishop Cranmer.

    Otham
    Oteham: Geoffrey de Rots from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Picturesque; 15th century yeoman's house.

    Otterden
    Otringedene: Bishop of Bayeux.
    Otterden Place, a Tudor mansion in parkland.

    Otterpool
    Obtrepole: Harvey from Hugh de Montfort.
    Otterpool Manor.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    P

    Paddlesworth
    Pellesorde: Hugh de Port from Bishop of Bayeux. Church.
    Norman church, now a barn.

    Palstre
    Palestrei: Osbern Paisforiere from Bishop of Bayeux. Church, 5 fisheries.
    Palstre Court, a manor house.

    Patrixbourne
    Borne: Richard FitzWilliam from Bishop of Bayeux. Fishery.

    Penenden
    Pinnedenna: King's land.
    Penenden Heath.

    Perry (in Faversham)
    Perie / Alia Piria: Ansfrid from Bishop of Bayeux. King received penalties for house-breaking, breach of the peace and highway robbery.
    Perry Court on the outskirts of Faversham.

    Petham
    Piteham: Archbishop of Canterbury. 2 churches.

    Pett
    part of manor of Little Chart held by William from Archbishop of Canterbury.
    Pett Place.

    Pimp's Court
    Pinpa / e: Adam from Bishop of Bayeux. fishery.
    Pimp's Court house and cottages; Pympe's Court nearby.

    Pinden
    Pinnedene: Mauger from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Remote.

    Pineham
    Piham: Hugh de Port from Bishop of Bayeux.
    On Roman road.

    Pising
    Pesinges:
    Lost.

    Pivington
    Piventone: Ralph de Courbépine from Bishop of Bayeux. Church, mill.
    Mill; moat.

    Pluckley
    Pluchelei: Archbishop of Canterbury.
    Said to be one of England's most haunted villages.

    Plumstead
    Plum(e)stede: St. Augustine's Abbey from Bishop of Bayeux.
    London suburb.

    Ponshall
    Popeselle / ssale: Bishop of Bayeux.
    Ponshall House in Coldred.

    Postling
    Pist / Postinges: Ralph from Bishop of Bayeux; Roger from Hugh de Montfort. 2 churches, 2 mills.
    Pretty; black-and-white timbering. Writer Joseph Conrad lived here for 30 years.

    Poulton
    Poltone: Herfrid from Hugh de Montfort. Church.
    Poulton Farm near the ruins of 12th century St. Radegund's Abbey.

    Preston (in Faversham)
    Prestetone: Archbishop of Canterbury. Church, mill, fishery (250 eels).
    Suburb of Faversham.

    Preston (near Fordwich)
    Prestetune: St. Augustine's Abbey.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    R

    Reculver
    Roculf: Archbishop of Canterbury. Church, mill, 5 salthouses, fishery.
    Seaside town; site of the Roman fortress Regulbium. The twin towers of ruined St. Mary's Church wer built by the Normans on the site of a 7th century Saxon church and are used as a landmark by ships.

    Ridley
    Redlege: Adam FitzHubert from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Remote; wooded.

    Ringlestone
    Rongostone: Richard from Bishop of Bayeux.

    Ringleton
    Ringetone: Herbert for the king from Bishop of Bayeux. Mill.
    Ringleton Manor.

    Ripe
    Ripa / e: Canons of St. Martin's of Dover.
    Area in the Ministry of Defence ranges.

    Ripton
    Rapentone: Ansered from St. Augustine's Abbey. mill.

    Rochester
    Rou(e)cestre: Bishop of Bayeux from Bishop of Rochester.
    Ancient city now a major port and an industrial and commercial centre. Rochester Cathedral, begun in 1077, was completed in the 13th century. Rochester Castle, built in 1127, has the tallest keep in Britain.

    Rooting
    Rotinge: St. Augustine's Abbey.
    Now Rooting Manor.

    Ruckinge
    Rochinges: Ralph FitzRichard from Hugh de Montfort.

    Ruxley
    Rochelei: Mauger from Bishop of Bayeux. Mill.
    Part of Sidcup.

    Ryarsh
    Riesce: Hugh from Bishop of Bayeux. Church, mill.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    S

    St. Margaret's (at Cliffe)
    Sancta Margarita: Ralph, Alfred, Robert Black, Walter Thorbert, Edwin, Wulfric of Oxford and Nigel the Doctor from Canons of St. Martin's of Dover.
    Holiday camp above St. Margaret's Bay.

    St. Martin's
    Sanctus Martinus: Archbishop of Canterbury. Mill, church.

    St. Mary Cray
    Sudcrai: Adam FitzHubert from Bishop of Bayeux. Church.
    Industrial, in Greater London.

    St Pauls Cray
    Alia Craie: Ansketel de Rots from Bishop of Bayeux. Mill.
    Industrial, now part of Greater London. The 13th century church is dedicated to St. Paulinus, one of St. Augustine's missionaries.

    Sandlings
    Sentlinge: Hugh nephew of Herbert from Bishop of Bayeux. Church.
    Part of Bromley.

    Seal
    Lasela: Geoffrey de Rots from Bishop of Bayeux. Fishery (90 eels).
    Suburban.

    Seasalter
    Seseltre: Archbishop of Canterbury's monks. Church, 8 fisheries.
    Low-lying land with chalets and caravans.

    Sellindge
    Sedlinges: Harvey from Hugh de Montfort. 2 churches, mill.
    Expanding.

    Selling
    Setlinges: St. Augustine's Abbey.
    Pretty; surrounded by orchards.

    Sevington
    Seivetone: Maino from Hugh de Montfort. Church, mill.

    Shalmsford (Street)
    Essamelsford: Herfrid from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Manor house.

    Shelborough
    Selesburne:
    Lost.

    Shelving
    Selinge:
    Lost.

    Sheppey
    Scape: Godfrey from Archbishop of Canterbury.
    Near Queensborough.

    Shepherdswell
    Sibertessuald / suualt: William de Poitou, Wulfstan son of Wulfwin and Sigar from Canons of St. Martin's of Dover; St. Augustine's Abbey.
    Green; previously known as Sibertswold.

    Siffleton
    Sifletone: Vitalis (a knight depicted in the Bayeux tapestry) from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Lost, near Ditton.

    Snodland
    Esnoiland: Bishop of Rochester. 3 mills, church.
    Industrial parish.

    Soles
    (Court) Soles: Ansfrid from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Soles Farm.

    Solton
    Soltone: Hugh from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Solton Manor Farm.

    "Sonnings"
    Soninges: Hugh de Port from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Name of a field in Horton parish.

    South Ashford
    Estefort: Maino from Hugh de Montfort.
    Ashford suburb.

    Southfleet
    Sudfleta: Bishop of Rochester. Church.
    Green belt.

    Stalisfield
    Stanefelle: Adam from Bishop of Bayeux. Church.
    Unspoilt; in wooded downland.

    Stansted
    Stanestede / Stanetdeste: Canons of St. Martin's of Dover.

    Statenborough
    Estenberge: William from Archbishop of Canterbury.

    Stelling
    Stellinges: Bishop of Bayeux.

    Stockbury
    Stotchingeberge: Ansgot from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Earthworks of a Norman castle surrounded by orchards.

    Stoke
    (E)Stoches: Part claimed by Bishop of Rochester from Bishop of Bayeux; Ansgot from Bishop of Bayeux. Church, fishery.
    On the River Medway.

    Stone
    Estanes: Bishop of Rochester. Church, mill, fishery. Porpoise, once of gold.
    Ancient; engulfed by Thames-side industry and the Kent entrance to the Dartford Tunnel.

    Stourmouth
    Ezilamerth: Vitalis from Archbishop of Canterbury.
    Rural. The church was founded before the Norman Conquest.

    Stowting
    Estotinghes: Count d'Eu from Archbishop of Canterbury. Mill, church.
    Quiet; Bronze Age barrows nearby; remains of a Norman motte and bailey castle.

    Stuppington
    Stepedone: Hugh from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Stuppington Farm.

    Sturry
    Esturai: St. Augustine's Abbey. Church, 10 mills, 7 fisheries.
    Largely rebuilt after World War II bombing. It has a 16th century manor house and medieval tithe barn once owned by St. Augustine's Abbey, now owned by King's School, Canterbury.

    Sunridge
    Sondresse: Archbishop of Canterbury. 3 mills, church.
    Birthplace of Cardinal Manning, 19th century preacher and ecclesiastical statesman.

    Sutton (Valence) and East Sutton
    Sudtone: Adam FitzHubert from Bishop of Bayeux.

    Swalecliffe
    Soaneclive: Vitalis from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Coastal.

    Swanscombe
    Suinescamp: Helto from Bishop of Bayeux. 6 fisheries.
    Industrial district and site of Barnsfield Pit, which yielded the earliest fossilized human remains found in Britain. The old parish church has a Saxon tower.

    Swanton (in Bilsington)
    Suanetone: Hugh de Montfort.
    Swanton Farm.

    Swanton (in Lydden)
    Suanetone: Ralph from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Swanton Court Farm.

    Swarling
    Archbishop of Canterbury.
    Now Swarling Farm.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    T

    Temple Ewell
    Etwelle / Ewelle: Hugh and Ralph from Bishop of Bayeux; Hugh de Montfort. Church, 6 mills.
    Dover suburb, once owned by the Knights Templar.

    Teston
    Testan: Aylesford, Twyford; Aethelwold from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Famous for making cricket balls.

    Throwley
    Brulege: Herfrid from Bishop of Bayeux. Church. King had penalties for house-breaking, breach of the peace, highway robbery.
    Remote; half-timbered.

    Thurnham
    Turneham: Ralph de Courbépine from Bishop of Bayeux. Church, mill.
    On the Pilgrim's Way. Earthworks of early Norman Thurnham Castle are half a mile away.

    Tickenhurst
    Ticheteste: Thurstan from Bishop of Bayeux.

    Tiffenden
    Tipindene: Hugh de Montfort.
    On the track of Roman road.

    Tilmanstone
    Tilemanestone: William from Archbishop of Canterbury.
    In the Kent coalfields. An ancient yew in the churchyard may be older than the Domesday survey.

    Tinton
    Tintentone:
    Lost.

    Tonbridge
    Tonebridge: Bishop of Rochester.
    Busy market town with the ruins of a Norman castle captured by William Rufus in 1088.

    Tonge
    Tangas: Hugh de Port from Bishop of Bayeux. Church, mill.
    Mill beside the ruins of 12th century Tonge Castle.

    Tottington
    Totintune: Robert Latimer from Bishop of Bayeux at a revenue from the king.
    Tottington Farm.

    Trimworth
    Hamo the Sheriff. Church, mill.
    Trimworth Manor.

    Trottiscliffe
    Totesclive: Bishop of Rochester. Church.
    Artist Graham Sutherland lived here. Bishop Gundulph built the chancel of the church in 1100 on Saxon foundations.

    Tudeley
    Tivedele: Richard FitzGilbert from Bishop of Bayeux, formerly Edeva from the king.
    Parish church with a window by Marc Chagall.

    Tunstall
    Tunestelle: Hugh de Port from Bishop of Bayeux. Salthouse.
    Attractive.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    U

    Ulcombe
    Olecumbe: Count d'Eu from Archbishop of Canterbury.
    Ancient moat.

    Upchurch
    Cerce: Hugh de Port from Bishop of Bayeux.
    The Romans had a large pottery here. Sir Francis Drake's father was vicar here from 1560 to 1566.

    Upper Hardres
    Hardes: Bishop of Bayeux. Church.
    Parish was named after Hardres family.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    W

    Wadholt
    Platenout: St. Augustine's Abbey.
    Wadholt Wood near Coldred.

    Waldershare
    Walwalesere: Ralph de Courbépine from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Waldershare Park, seat of the Earl of Guildford.

    Warehorne
    Werahorne: Archbishop of Canterbury's monks.
    Set round a green.

    Wateringbury
    Otrinberge / Otringe: Ralph FitzThorold and Hugh de Brebouef from Bishop of Bayeux. Church. 3 mills, fishery. (30 eels).
    On the River Medway.

    West Barming
    Bermelie:
    Lost. Barham Court is built in the site of the original manor house.

    West Cliffe
    Westclive: Hugh de Montfort from Bishop of Bayeux. 2 mills.

    Westerham
    Oistreham: Count Eustace.
    Market town; home of Sir Winston Churchill.

    West Farleigh
    Ferlaga: Ranulf de Colombières from Bishop of Bayeux. Church, mill.
    In hopfields and orchards.

    Westgate (in Canterbury)
    Estursete: Archbishop of Canterbury. Church, 12 mills.
    District of Canterbury, outside city walls.

    West Malling
    Metlinges: Bishop of Rochester. Church, mill.
    Large. St. Mary's Abbey incorporates parts of a Benedictine nunnery founded in 1090 by Gundulph, Bishop of Rochester.

    West Peckham
    Pecheham: Corbin from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Quiet.

    Westwell
    Welle: Archbishop of Canterbury's monks.
    On the Pilgrim's Way.

    West Wickham
    Wicheham: Adam FitzHubert from Bishop of Bayeux. Church, mill.
    London suburb.

    Whitstable
    Nortone: Archbishop of Canterbury. 7 salthouses, 2 churches.
    Holiday resort and yachting centre, famous for oysters.

    Wichling
    Winchelesmere: Bishop of Bayeux. Church.
    Downland.

    Wickhambreux
    Wicheham: Bishop of Bayeux. Church, park, 2 mills, 2 salthouses, 3 fisheries.
    Unspoilt; village green; mill.

    Wilderton
    Wirentone: St. Augustine's Abbey.

    Wingham
    Wingheham: Archbishop of Canterbury. 2 mills, fishery, salthouse.
    Set among woodland. Next to the medieval Old Canonry is an 18th century house built on the site of the archbishop's manor house.

    Woodnesborough
    Gollesberge / Wanesberge: Ansfrid and Thurstan from Bishop of Bayeux.
    On a hill.

    Woolwich
    Hulviz: Hamo the Sheriff.
    London borough.

    Wormshill
    Godeselle: Hugh nephew of Herbert from Bishop of Bayeux. Church.
    Remote; manor house.

    Wouldham
    Oldeham: Bishop of Rochester. Fishery, church.
    Industrial.

    Wricklesmarsh
    Witenemers: The son of Thorold of Rochester from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Area between Woolwich Common and Blackheath; the name survives in Wricklemarsh Road, Kidbrooke.

    Wrotham
    Broteham: Archbishop of Canterbury. Church, 3 mills.
    On the Pilgrim's Way; ruins of an ancient archbishop's palace; Wrotham Place manor house.

    Wrotham Heath
    Litelbroteham: Ralph FitzThorold from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Orchards.

    Wye
    Wi: Battle Abbey. Church, 4 mills. 300 eels.
    Pleasant market town, once a royal Saxon manor. Wye College, the agriculture college of London University, is here.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved