[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Huntingdonshire A-K

    Alconbury
    Acumesberie, Almundeberie: Ranulf, Brother of Ilger from the King.
    Maypole square was the site of a 14th century market.

    Alwalton
    Alwoltune: Peterborough Abbey. 2 mills, fishery. 500 eels.
    Known for limestone 'Alwalton marble'. The 17th century Dryden family house, formerly at Chesterton, was rebuilt here.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    B

    Bluntisham
    Bluntesham: Ely Abbey; Ramsey Abbey. Church.
    Much new building.

    Botolph Bridge
    Botulvesbrige: Ranulf brother of Ilger from the King; the priests Burgred and Thorkell from Eustace the Sheriff. Church.
    Now in Peterborough. Only one tombstone is left of the church.

    Boughton
    Buchetone: Eustace the Sheriff.
    Farm on the Great Ouse River; traces of a moated manor house and village.

    Brampton
    Brantune: Ranulf brother of Ilger from the King; Alric, the King's thane. Church, 2 mills.
    Racecourse. Pepys' House was owned by the diarist's family.

    Brington
    Breninctune: Ramsey Abbey.

    Broughton
    Broctone / tune: Ramsey Abbey / (Eustace the Sheriff claimed part of the land). Church, mill.
    Traces of a moat in a field outside the village mark the site of a manor house belonging to the abbots of Ramsey.

    Buckden
    Bugedene: Bishop of Lincoln. Church, mill.
    Site of the Bishop of Lincoln's palace, established in the 12th century.; a fine 15th century tower and gatehouses remain.

    Buckworth
    Buchesworde: Count of Eu and a man-at-arms from him. Church.
    Isolated.

    Bythorn
    Bierne: Ramsey Abbey and two men-at-arms from the abbey.
    Near Old Tollbar Hill, one of the highest in the country.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    C

    Caldecote
    Caldecote: Man-at-arms from Eustace the Sheriff.
    Remote. Remains of a moat mark the site of a manor house.

    Catworth
    Cateworde: Eustace the Sheriff from William de Warenne; Eustace the Sheriff in the King's hand; Eric from the King. Mill.
    Quiet, attractive.

    Chesterton
    Cestretune: Lunen and 2 men-at-arms from Eustace the Sheriff. Church, 4 shillings to Peterborough Abbey.
    Roman town of Durobrivae nearby. In the church is a monument to the famous 17th century poet John Dryden, whose family home was rebuilt at Alwalton.

    Colne
    Colne: Ely Abbey.
    Nearby is the site of a fen fishermen settlement.

    Conington
    Coninctune: Countess Judith. Church.
    The church's monuments were erected by Sir Robert Cotton who lived at Conington Castle.

    Coppingford
    Copemaneforde: Humphrey from Earl Hugh. Church.
    Cottages; farm. A moat marks the manor house visited by Charles I on his way to join the Scots at Newark in 1646.

    Cotton
    Cotes: Thursten from Bishop of Lincoln; Countess Judith and Gilbert the priest from her.
    Farm.

    Covington
    Covintune: Roger d'Ivry and 2 men-at-arms from him.
    Hilltop; timbered houses.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    D

    Denton
    Dentone: Thursten from Bishop of Lincoln. Church.
    Ruined church.

    Diddington
    Dodinctun, Dodintone: William from Bishop of Lincoln; Alan from Countess Judith. Church.
    Church in the grounds of Diddington Park.

    Dillington
    Dellinctune: Ramsey Abbey.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    E

    Easton
    Estone: Eustace the Sheriff.
    Thatched cottages. A tributary of Ellington Brook runs down the main street.

    Ellington
    Elintune: Ramsey Abbey and 2 men-at-arms from the abbey (part in royal woodland and not cultivated). Church.
    Thatched cottages.

    Elton
    Adelintune / tone: Ramsey Abbey. Church. 2 mills.
    Attractive. Elton Hall dates from the 15th century.

    Everton
    Evretune: Ranulph brother of Ilger. Church.

    Eynesbury
    Einuluesberia / ie: Countess Judith and St. Helen's of Elstow, Gilbert the Priest and Alan, the Countess's steward from her; Rohais wife of Richard FitzGilbert and St. Neot's Abbey and William le Breton from her. Church, 3 mills, sheepfold, fishery.
    Part of St. Neot's. The old centre remains.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Fenstanton
    Stantone: Gilbert de Ghent. Church.
    The tomb of Capability Brown, 18th century landscape gardener, is in the church.

    Fletton
    Fletone / tun: Peterborough Abbey.
    Now Old Fletton, part of Peterborough; church with Saxon carvings.

    Folksworth
    Folchesworde: Walter Giffard.
    Dormitory town to Peterborough.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    G

    Glatton
    Glatune: Lunen from Count Eustace. Church.
    Attractive; many old houses. John Hausted, cartographer, mapped it in detail in 1613.

    Godmanchester
    Godmundcestre: King's land. Church, 3 mills.
    Part of Huntingdon. Originally Roman; its medieval inhabitants had priveleges of self-government.

    Grafham
    Grafham: King's land; Odilard the Larderer from Eustace the Sheriff.
    Isolated; Grafham Water nearby.

    Gransden
    Grantesdene: Ranulf from the King. Church.
    Now 2 villages, Great Gransden with timber and plaster houses and thatched cottages, and Little Gransden.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    H

    Haddon
    Adone: Thorney Abbey. Church.
    Church with Saxon walls and a Norman chancel arch.

    Hail Weston
    Westone / tune: Eustace the Sheriff; Robert FitzFafiton.
    Near saline springs described by he chronicler Holinshead in 1577.

    Hamerton
    Hambertune: Eudo FitzHubert and 2 men-at-arms from him.

    Hartford
    Hereforde: Ranulf brother of Ilger from the king. 2 churches, 2 mills.
    Part of Huntingdon. Its name means 'ford of the invading army'. There is still a fordway near the church.

    Hemingford
    Emingeforde: Ramsey Abbey; Eustace the Sheriff; Ralph FitzOsmund from Aubrey de Vere; Ralph FitzOsmund. Church, 3 mills, fishpond.
    Now Hemingford Abbots by the Great Ouse river.

    Hemingford Grey
    Alia Emingeforde: Aubrey de Vere from Ramsey Abbey and a man-at-arms from him.
    On the Great Ouse river; Norman House, c.1160.

    Holywell
    Haleiwelle: Ramsey Abbey and Alfwold from the abbey. Church.
    Named after its spring (said to effect cures).

    Houghton
    Hoctune: Ramsey Abbey. Church, mill.
    Attractive; 17th century watermill on the site of a mill given by the 10th century founder of Ramsey Abbey to the abbot.

    Huntingdon
    Huntedone / -dun: Ramsey Abbey; Gilbert de Ghent; Ely Abbey; Bishop of Lincoln; Countess Judith; Bishop of Coutances; Eustace the Sheriff. Castle, market, mint, at least 1 mill, over 100 unoccupied residences, 2 churches.
    Town, now linked with Godmanchester, with a 14th century stone bridge and fine Georgian houses; earthworks of a castle built by William I. Oliver Cromwell was born here in 1599, and the Cromwell Museum is in what remins of the Hospital of St. John, founded 1160. St. Mary's Church, originally Norman, was rebuilt in the 13th century.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    K

    Keyston
    Chetelestan, Ketelestan: Ranulf brother of Ilger from the king.
    Named after Ketil's stone, probably a Saxon boundary mark.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved