Segensworth Segensworth House; near the ruined abbey of St. Mary and St. John.
Shalden Park; Wood; Farm.
|Seldene: William Manduit.|
Sherbourne St. John
The Vyne is a manor house built for Henry VIII's chancellor Lord Sandys.
|Sireburne: Hugh de Port. Church, 3 mills.|
|Sirefelle: Robert FitzGerald; Reginald from Alfred of Marlborough. Church.|
|Scepto(u)ne: Robert FitzGerald; Reginald from Alfred of Marlborough. Church.|
Part of Southampton.
|Sirelei: Ralph de Mortimer. Church, mill, fishery.|
Now 2 hamlets, Great and Little Shoddesden.
|Sotesdene: Agemund from the king.|
Near Calleva Atrebatum, an excavated Roman town.
|Silcestre: Ralph de Mortimer; Ralph Bloiet from William d'Eu.|
|Snodintone: Hugh de Port.|
|Sudbertune: King's land; Herbert the Chamberlain; Henry the Treasurer; Earl Roger.|
|Sopelie: William FitzStur. Mill. 875 eels.|
|Cerdeford / Cerdi: Hugh de Port.|
|Hantone / tune: The King has in lordship 76 men who pay £7 of land tribute; before 1066 they paid as much. 27 of them each pay 8d; 2|
| 12d; and another 50 in number each pay 6d.
Before 1066 these had exempt land in the same Borough from the king himself; Odo of Winchester, Askell the priest, Ketel, Fugel, Tosti; the sons of Alric had 16 acres of land; Gerin
|18 acres; Chipping had 3 exempt houses and now Ralph of Mortimer holds them; Godwin|
|3 houses that Bernard Pancevolt holds. Since King William came to England 65 Frenchmen and 31 Englishmen have been settled in Southampton. These all pay amongst themselves £4 6d for all customary dues.
These listed below have the customary dues of their houses in Southampton by grant of King William: Bishop G(eoffrey)
|of one house; the Abbot of Cormeilles 1; the Abbot of Lyne 1; the Count of Evreux 2; Ralph of Mortimer 2; Gilbert de Breteuil 2; William son of Stur 2; Ralph of Tosny 1; Durand of Gloucester 2; Hugh of Port 1; Hugh de Grandmesnil 1; the Count of Mortain 5; Aiulf the Chamberlain 5; Humphrey his brother 1; Osbern Giffard 1; Nigel the Doctor 4; Richere of Les Andleys 4; Richard Poynant 1; Stephen the Steersman 2; Thurstan the Chamberlain 2; Thurstan the Engineer 2; Ansketel son of Osmund 3; Reginald|
The Abbess of Wherwell has 1 fishery and a littleland. Then it paid 100d; now 10s.
Important industrial port with a history dating back to Roman times; the ancient town walls are still visible.
|Todeorde: Hugh from Robert FitzGerald; Croc Hunter. Church.|
Timbered cottages; church with a rood loft.
|Wergeborne: Guy and his daughter from Hugh FitzBaldric. Church, mill.|
Stanpit Part of Christchurch.
Farm near Stanswood Bay; prolific oyster bed.
|Staneude: King's land. Mill, 2 fisheries.|
Birthplace of writer Jane Austen (1775-1817).
|Stivetune: Alfsi the Valet from the king.|
Small town. Neighbouring Marsh Court School, built of chalk, was designed by Sir Edward Lutyens.
|Stoche: William d'Eu. Mill.|
|Stanes: Edmund from the king.|
The Duke of Wellington's house.
|Stradfelle: Hugh from Gilbert de Breteuil; Hugh FitzBaldric; Aelfric from the king. Church, 2 mills.|
|Stradfelle: Aelfric from Hugh de Port. Forge, mill.|
Stubbington Town on the Solent.
|Seneorde: Walter from Earl Roger. Church. Mostly destroyed by the wind.|
|Sudtune: Robert FitzGerald; Odo from the king. 2 churches, 2 mills.|
Adjoins St. Mary Bourne.
|Suantune: Ralph de Mortimer. Mill.|
|Suie: In the New Forest. Romsey Abbey; Fulkwin and Nigel from Earl Roger; Edmund from the king. 3 mills.|
|Sidemanestone: Romsey Abbey.|