[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Essex A-C

    Click here for details Click here for details
    A

    Abberton
    Edburg(h)etuna: Ralph de Marcy from Count Eustace; Odo from Swein of Essex; Ranulf Peverel.
    Reservoir; Stone Age remains; Abberton Hall, with moat, ancient barns.

    Abbess Roding
    Roinges: Eudo the Steward; Geoffrey Martel from Geoffrey de Mandeville.
    Once owned by the Abbess of Barking.

    Alderford
    Alreforde: 2 men-at-arms from Richard FitzGilbert.

    Alderton
    Aluertuna: Canons of Waltham before and after 1066.
    Alderton Hall.

    Aldham
    Aldeham: Aubrey's wife from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Philip Morant, 18th century rector of the church, edited Parliament's first records (1278-1413).

    Alphamstone
    Alfelmestuna: St. Edmund's Abbey; 15 freemen, Derwulf and Hold from Richard FitzGilbert.
    Norman church on Roman site and Bronze Age burial place.

    Alresford
    Aleforda / E(i)lesforda: Humphrey from Bishop of London; Hato from Count Eustace; Algar from Richard FitzGilbert.
    Roman villa sites.

    Amberden Hall
    Amberdena: Ely Abbey claims from Ranulf Peverel. 1 beehive, 3 cobs.
    Amberden Hall Farmhouse.

    Ardleigh
    Erlega / -eia / -iga / Herlega: William from Geoffrey de Mandeville; William from Robert Gernon; Roger de Raismes; Agnes from Hugh de Gournai. 2 mills, 3 beehives. 10 goats.
    Middle Bronze Age finds.

    Arkesden
    Archesdana: Eudo the Steward; Roger d'Auberville; Picot from Robert Gernon; the King claims from Geoffrey de Mandeville. 2 beehives. Foal.
    Bronze Age remains.

    Ashdon
    Ascenduna: Ralph Baynard, formerly Aethelgyth, a free woman. Vines, 3 beehives.
    Roman burial mounds in nearby Bartlow Hills.

    Asheldham
    Hain(c)tuna: Warner and Ralph from Swein of Essex. 11 goats.
    Formerly an Iron Age camp and Roman settlement.

    Ashen
    Asce: Richard FitzGilbert. Mill.
    Ashen Hall Farmhouse.

    Ashingdon
    Nesenduna: Roger from Swein of Essex.
    Canute fought Edmund Ironside here (1016).

    Ashwell Hall
    Asseuuella: Walter Cook.

    Aveley
    Aluielea / -thelea / Auileia: Mauger from Bishop of Bayeux; John FitzWaleran; Ansger Cook.
    Roman road called Bredle Street; church with Roman tiles.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    B

    Bardfield
    Berdefelda / Birdefella / Byrdefelda: Adelulf from Count Eustace; Richard FitzGilbert and Widelard from him. 3 mills, 2 beehives, fishpond. 107 pigs, 200 sheep, 30 goats, 5 cobs, 41 cattle.
    Now 2 villages: Great Bardfield has a tower windmill; Little Bardfield has a Saxon church.

    Barking
    Berchingas / ingu: Barking Abbey before and after 1066. 2 mills, fishery, 10 beehives. 150 pigs, 24 goats, 34 cattle.
    London borough; 7th century Barking Abbey.

    Barling
    Berlinga: Canons of St. Paul's before and after 1066; Bishop of Bayeux.
    Wooden mill; Norman prison wall at Jail Farm.

    Barn Hall
    Borooldituna: Modbert from Ralph Baynard.
    House in Devil's Wood, reputedly built by a watchman on the Devil's instructions.

    Barnston
    Bernestuna: Hugh de Bernières from Geoffrey de Mandeville.
    Elizabethan Barnston Hall.

    Barrow Hall
    Berreuuera: Richard FitzGilbert.
    Manor House.

    Barstable Hall
    Berdestestapla: FitzThorold from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Part of Basildon.

    Basildon
    Be(r)lesduna: Thorold and 'W' from Swein of Essex.
    New town; formerly a hamlet.

    Bassetts
    Mildermet: Ralph FitzBrian from Bishop of London.
    The Bassetts were 13th century lords of the manor.

    Baythorn End
    Babiterna: Ranulf, brother of Ilger. Mill.
    Part of Birdbrook; Baythorn Hall; Baythorn Park.

    Beauchamp Roding
    Roinges: Aubrey de Vere from Count Alan.

    Beaumont
    Fulepet: Edward from Aubrey de Vere. 2 salthouses, 3 beehives.

    Beckney
    Bacheneia: Bishop of Bayeux.

    Belchamp
    Belcamp / Belcham: Canons of St. Paul's before and after 1066; Wulfmer and Bernard from Count Eustace; Aubrey de Vere; Robert de Vaux from Roger Bigot. Vines. 28 cattle, 200 sheep, 100 pigs.
    Now 3 villages, Belchamp Otten, Belchamp Walter and Belchamp St. Paul which has a church on a Roman site. Aethelstan, 1st King of All England gave it to St. Paul's Cathedral in the 10th century.

    Belstead Hall
    Belesteda: Richard from William de Warenne; Richard FitzGobert.
    Manor House.

    Bendysh Hall
    Benedisc: Count Eustace; Engelric claims from Richard FitzGilbert.
    Bendysh Hall.

    Benfleet
    Benflet: Ranulf brother of Ilger and Theodoric Pointel from the King; Westminster Abbey; Swein of Essex. Mill.
    Now the village of North Benfleet and town of South Benfleet.

    Bensted
    Bedenesteda: Robert from Hugh de Montfort; claimed by monks of Ely; Nigel from Robert FitzCorbicion.

    Bentfield Bury
    Benedfelda: Robert Gernon. Mill. 3 cobs.

    Benton
    Breddinchon: William FitzGross; St. Edmund's Abbey. Mill.
    Benton Hall, a manor house.

    Berden
    Berdane: Alfred from Swein of Essex. Beehive. 3 cobs, 2 foals.
    16th century Berden Hall and Priory.

    Berners Roding
    Rodinges / -ingis: Hugh de Bernières from Geoffrey de Mandeville. Mill.

    Bigods, formerly Alfriston
    Alferestuna: Martel from Geoffrey de Mandeville. Mill. 350 pigs.
    Takes its name from Norman warlords who lived here.

    Binsley
    Bineslea: Widelard from Richard FitzGilbert; Peter de Valognes.

    Birch
    Bricceia / Bricia / Parva Bricceia: Hugh from Count Eustace; Robert from Robert Gernon; Hugh de St. Quentin. Mill, 3 cobs, 53 goats.
    Previously 2 villages, Great and Little Birch; a ruined church built with Roman bricks.

    Birchanger
    Becangra / Bilichangra / Blichangra: Tascelin the priest from the king; St. Valery; Germund from Geoffrey de Mandeville. 2 mill. 36 goats.
    Birchanger Place, a mansion.

    Birch Hall
    Birichou: Robert from Count Eustace.
    Birch Hall, near Colchester. Only the outbuildings and kitchen wing remain of this country house.

    Birdbrook
    Bridebroc: Ranulf brother of Ilger.
    Church with Roman tiles; a tablet proclaims that Martha Blewitt (died 1681) had 9 husbands.

    Blatchams
    Blacham: Count Eustace.

    Blunt's Hall
    Blundeshala: Count Eustace, formerly a free woman; Humphrey from Ralph Peverel. Mill. 4 cows, 4 calves.
    Manor house.

    Bobbingworth
    Bubingeordea: Richard from Ranulf, brother of Ilger.
    Small green; Blake Hall.

    Bocking
    Bochinges: Holy Trinity, Canterbury. Mill.
    Samuel Courtauld began his silk business here. The old mills remain on the factory site.

    Bockingham
    Botingham: William FitzGross from Hugh de Montfort.

    Bollington Hall
    Boli(n)tuna: Robert Gernon; Alfred claims from Swein of Essex. 1 freeman.
    In Ugley, a London suburb.

    Bonhunt
    Banhunta: Sasselin.
    Bonhunt Farm.

    Boreham
    Borham: Lambert from Count Eustace; Ramulf Peverel claims from the Count; William de Warenne; Osbert from Swein of Essex. Mill, church.
    New Hall, palace built by Henry VIII and granted to Thomas Radcliffe by Elizabeth I.

    Borley
    Barlea: Countess of Aumâle; Grim and Godwin claim from Ansketel, who holds from Richard FitzGilbert. 2 beehives.
    Churchyard with 15 yews.

    Bowers Gifford
    Bura: Westminster Abbey; Serlo from Ranulf Peverel; a man-at-arms from Walter the Deacon; Grim the Reeve. 4 calves.
    Tudor church.

    Boxted
    Bocche- / Bucchesteda / Bocstede: Count Eustace; Arthur from Eudo the Steward; St. Benedict's claims from Aubrey de Vere. 2 beehives. 16 cattle.

    Boyton Hall
    Boituna: Richard FitzGilbert.

    Bradfield
    Bradefelda: Roger de Raismes; Roger de Poitou. Salthouse.
    Bradfield Hall, home of Sir Harbottle Grimston, leading Essex Parliamentarian during the Civil War.

    Bradwell Quay (or Waterside) formerly Hackfleet
    Hacflet: Bishop of Bayeux. Fishery.
    The church is on the site of a Roman fort; nuclear power station nearby.

    Braintree
    Branchetreu: Ledmer of Hempstead, who claims it for Richard FitzGilbert.
    Part of Bocking; 19th century centre of Courtauld's rayon industry. Nicholas Udell, vicar of Braintree (1537), wrote the first English comedy, Ralph Roister Doister.

    Brightlingsea
    Brictricseia / Brictesceseia: Peter de Valognes from the king. Mill, church. 16 cattle, 5 cobs, 166 sheep.
    Town; member of the Cinque Ports of Sandwich; Norman church.

    Broomfield
    Brumfelda: Walter from Geoffrey de Mandeville. Mill.
    Stone Age and Saxon remains; Norman church built of Roman bricks.

    Broxted
    Broc(c)hesteuot: Ely Abbey before and after 1066; Richard from Eudo the Steward. 2 beehives.
    Windmill; Roman tiled church.

    Bulmer
    Bulenemera: Mascerel from Richard FitzGilbert.
    Roman-bricked church.

    Bulpham
    Bulgeuen: Barking Abbey.

    Bures
    Bura / Buro: Richard FitzGilbert, formerly Leofeva, a free woman; Hugh from John FitzWaleran.
    Mostly situated in Suffolk, across the county border. The 16th century Eight Bells Inn is on the Essex side.

    Burnham
    Burn(e)ham: Ralph Baynard; the king claims from Theodoric Pointel. Mill. 6 cobs, 336 sheep.
    Small town. Yachting centre.

    Buttsbury
    Cinga: The steward of Henry de Ferrers.
    Now merged with Stock and Ingatestone.

    Byrton
    Bertuna: Roger Marshal.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    C

    Canewdon
    Carenduna: Swein of Essex. 3 cobs, 342 sheep.
    Model, built 1960; church with Roman bricks. Canute fought his last fight here against Edmund Ironside.

    Canfield
    Cane(d)felda / Chenefelda: Aubrey de Vere from Count Alan; William de Warenne; Richard from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Aubrey de Vere; the king claims from Richard, who held it from Geoffrey de Mandeville. 2 mills, 3 beehives. 50 pigs, 3 cobs.
    Now 2 hamlets, Great Canfield and Canfield End. Earthworks of de Vere's Castle at Great Canfield, one of England's best preserved sites.

    Chadwell
    Celdewella: Hugolin from Bishop of London; FitzThorold from Bishop of Bayeux; Grim the Reeve.
    Now Chadwell St. Mary, originally 'Cold-well'. Extensive ancient chalk workings. St. Cedd, an East Saxon missionary reputedly baptised his converts in a well near the church.

    Chardwell, formerly Ainsworth
    Einesuurda: Richard from William de Warenne. 3 beehives.

    Chatham
    Cetham: Walter from Geoffrey de Mandeville.
    Now Chatham Green.

    Chaureth
    Ceauride: Warner from Richard FitzGilbert; 2 freemen claim from Aelmer who held it from Richard FitzGilbert.

    Chelmsford
    Celmeresfort: Bishop of London before and after 1066. Mill.
    Saxon settlement, and a county town since the 13th century. The world's first radio factory (Marconi) started production here in 1899.

    Chickney
    Cicchenai: Warin from Ranulf Peverel.
    Saxon church. Tudor Sibleys Farm has one of Essex's oldest dovecotes.

    Chignall
    Cingehala: Richard, Richard Garnet, Ralph, Leofson, Leofric, Leofwin, Alstan from Geoffrey de Mandeville; Ansketel from Robert Gernon.
    Original Chignall St. James's and Smealy, joined 1888. St. James Church has Roman bricks.

    Chigwell
    Cingheuuella: Ralph de Limesy. Mill.
    William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, studied in the 16th/17th century grammar school.

    Childerditch
    Ciltedic / -endis: Sheriff of Surrey from the king; formerly Queen Edith; Osbern from Swein of Essex, formerly Alwen, a free woman; Sasselin.
    Celebrated by Edward Thomas: "If I should ever by chance grow rich I'll buy Cockham, Cockridden and Childerditch."

    Chingford
    Cing(h)efort: Canons of St. Paul's before and after 1066; Ordgar from Robert Gernon. 6 fisheries, mill.
    London borough, near Epping Forest; Forest Museum. Queen Elizabeth I's hunting lodge is nearby.

    Chipping Ongar
    Angra (Ongar): Count Eustace.
    Small town. Livingstone lived here before going to Africa.

    Chiswick
    Ceseuuic: Robert de Tosny.

    Chrishall
    Cristeshala: Count Eustace. 4 beehives, 24 goats.
    Highest village in Essex; moated earthwork.

    Clacton
    Clachintuna: Bishop of London before and after 1066. Fishery, mills.
    Now 2 villages, Great and Little Clacton. Great Clacton had medieval market; Saxon graves; Roman-tiled Norman church. There is a little church in Little Clacton.

    Claret Hall
    Clare: Count Eustace. Mill. 3 cobs, 239 sheep.
    Manor house.

    Clavering
    Clauelinga: Swein of Essex; Ansgot, Wicard, Robert and Ralph from Swein of Essex. Mill, 5 beehives. Foal, 23 goats.
    Sail-less windmill. Robert FitzWinarc, a Frenchman, built his pre-Conquest castle here; the moats survive.

    Cliff
    Cliva: Roger de Raismes.

    Coggeshall
    Cogheshale / -essala: Holy Trinity; Count Eustace; Theodoric Pontel. 2 mills, 4 beehives. 4 cobs.
    Probably Roman; famous for cloth making in the Middle Ages; Roman-bricked Norman church. There is a watermill near Little Coggeshill Abbey.

    Colchester
    Colecastro / -cestra: Bishop of London; King's land; Count Eustace; John FitzWaleran; king's burgesses; the Abbot of St. Edmund's; Eudo the Steward; Hugh de Montfort; Roger de Poitou; Abbot of Westminster; Geoffrey de Mandeville; Swein of Essex; Abbess of Barking; Aubrey de Vere; Bishop Walkelin. 400 houses, 2 churches (including St. Peter's), 4 mills, court. 4 sesters of honey.
    Britain's oldest recorded town. Roman High Street; keep of a Norman castle; University of Essex. From the fortified Iron Age settlement here Cunobelin (Shakespeare's Cymbeline) ruled the whole of southwest Britain.

    Cold Norton
    Nortuna: Ralph Baynard. Mill. 6 cobs.

    Colne, Earls, Wakes and White
    Coles / Colun: St. Edmund's Abbey; Robert from Count Eustace; Wulfwin, 2 of his nephews and Leofric from Richard FitzGilbert; Aubrey de Vere; Robert Malet; Lutting; Wulfric claims from Richard FitzGilbert; Thorbern. 5 mill, 3 beehives. 45 cattle, 160 sheep, 80 goats, 4 cobs, 6 asses, 20 mares.
    Now 2 villages, Earls and Wakes Colne, and White Colne hamlet. The de Veres founded a Benedictine priory in Earls Colne in about 1100.

    Colne Engaine
    Parva Colun: Man-at-arms from Walter the Deacon; Walter from Robert Malet. 2 mills, 3 beehives. 13 goats.
    Roman-tiled church.

    Copford
    Copeforda: Bishop of London.
    Roman ford, 800 year old wall paintings in Roman-tiled Norman church.

    Cornish Hall, formerly Norton
    Nortuna: Brictric claims from Mascerel.

    Corringham
    Currincham: William from Bishop of London. Mill.
    Norman church.

    Coupals, formerly Chelveston
    Celeuestuna: 5 freemen from Richard FitzGilbert; 6 freemen claim from Baynard.
    Coupal's Farm.

    Cowbridge
    Cubrigea: William from Ranulf, brother of Ilger.

    Cranham, formerly Bishop's Ockenden
    Craohu: Hugh from Bishop of London; Hugh from Bishop of Bayeux.

    Crawley(bury)
    Crauuelaea: Roger from Count Eustace.
    Crawley End, in the rural district of Saffron Walden.

    Cray's Hill
    Winthelle: Sasselin.
    Part of Billericay; formerly Ramsden Crays.

    Creeksea
    Criccheseia: Swein, Pointel and Modwin from Bishop of Bayeux.
    Also called Cricksea, or Crixeth, meaning landing place in the creek. Elizabethan house.

    Crepping
    Crepinga / -inges: Modwin; Alfward claims from Richard FitzGilbert.
    Crepping Hall, a manor house.

    Culverts
    Richeham: Azo from Robert Gernon. Mill.
    Culverts Farm.

    Curling Tye Green
    Curlai: Pointel from Ralph Baynard.

    Cuton
    Keuentuna: Osbert from Geoffrey de Mandeville. Mill, 5 beehives. 14 goats.
    Cuton Hall, a manor house.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved