[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • External Links

  • Cornwall Family History Society
  • Cornwall - History, Language and Folklore

  • Cornwall L-S

    Previous | Home | Next

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    Click here for details Click here for details

    L

    Lamellen
    Landmanuel / Lantmanuel: Berner from Count of Mortain.

    Lametton
    Lantmatin: Iovin from Count of Mortain.
    Farm, Lametton Mill and Museum on the East Looe River.

    Lancarffe
    Lancharet / Nan(t)chert: Nigel from Count of Mortain; taken from St. Petroc's Church by the Count.

    Landinner
    Landiner / Lan(i)liner: Count of Mortain, formerly Queen Edith.

    Landreyne
    Lander: Reginald from Count of Mortain.

    Landulph
    Landelech: Richard from Count of Mortain.
    A flourishing 15th century port. Centre of population is now at Cargreen.

    Lanescot
    Lisnestoch: Richard from Count of Mortain.

    Langunnett
    Langenewit / Langunuit: Reginald from Count of Mortain.
    Nearby is the 'Giant's Hedge', once 7 miles long; origin unknown.

    Lanhadron
    Lanlaron: Reginald from Count of Mortain.
    Farm.

    Lanherne
    Lanherwen / Lanherueu: Fulchard from Bishop of Exeter.
    Now 2 hamlets, Higher and Lower Lanherne.

    Lanreath
    Lauredoch / Lanredoch: Richard from Count of Mortain.
    Picturesque cottages.

    Lansallos
    Lansalhus / saluus: Richard from Count of Mortain.
    Lansallos Beach has a smuggler's cove.

    Lantivet
    Nantuat / Namtiuat:
    Lost; Lantivet Bay remains.

    Lantyan
    Also Lantyan Wood.

    Lanwarnick
    Lanawernec: Alric, the pre-Conquest holder, from Count of Mortain. 15 goats.

    Launcells
    Landseu: Alfred from Count of Mortain. 50 goats.
    On Bude canal; Georgian Manor; old cottages.

    Launceston
    Dunhuet: Count Robert of Mortain. TRE it paid tax for 1 virgate; 1 hide is there, however. Land for 10 ploughs; in lordship 1 plough. 3 slaves; 1 villager, 13 smallholders. 2 mills; pasture. Before 20; now 4. 5 cattle; 50 sheep. Count de Mortain's castle is there.

    Lawhitton
    Languitetone / a: Bishop of Exeter.
    13th century church with granite pillars hewn from single stone blocks.

    Lee
    Lege / Lega: Hamelin from Count of Mortain.
    Now Lee Barton; Lee Wood, part of a nature trail through National Trust Coombe Valley.

    Leigh
    Legea: Roger from Count of Mortain.
    Farm.

    Lesnewth
    Lisniwen: Brictric, the pre-Conquest holder, from Count of Mortain.
    In a wooded valley.

    Levalsa
    Avalde: Erchenbald from Count of Mortain.

    Lewarne
    Languer:
    Lost.

    Liskeard
    Liscarret: Count of Mortain. Market, mill. 250 sheep.
    Market town; tin was tested and sold here in the Middle Ages.

    Lizard
    Lusart / Lisart: Richard from the king.
    Tourist town on Lizard Point; its name means 'high place' in Cornish.

    Ludgvan
    Luduham / Luduam: Richard from Count of Mortain. 27 unbroken mares.
    Nearby is Chysauster, England's oldest village street, c.100BC to 3rd century AD.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    M

    Maker
    Macretone: Reginald from Count of Mortain.
    From Maker Heights, Mount Edgecumbe House (rebuilt in original Tudor style) looks across to Plymouth Sound.

    Manely
    Mingeli: Osferth from Count of Mortain.

    Marhamchurch
    Maronecirche / Maroncirca: Hamelin from Count of Mortain.
    Thatch and slate houses.

    Mawgen (in Meneage)
    Mawan / Maiuian / Mawant: Brictric from the king.
    Nearby Trelowarren House is 16th-17th century.

    Methleigh
    Matele / a: Mathela: Bishop of Exeter. Count of Mortain took the fair, previously held by the Bishop.

    Milton
    Mideltone / a: Hamelin from Count of Mortain.

    Minster
    Talcar:
    Lost.

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Moresk
    Moirieis:
    Lost.

    Moreton
    Mortune: Iovin from Count of Mortain.
    Now Great Moreton; Moreton Pound Farm; Moreton Mill.

    Muchlarnick
    Lanher: Reginald from Count of Mortain.
    On the West Looe river; St. Nonna's Well.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    N

    Nancekuke
    Lanchehoc / Lancichuc: Berner from St. Petroc's Church.
    Nancekuke Common, a disused airfield; hamlet of Nance.

    Newton Ferrers
    Neweton / Niwetona / Niwetone: Reginald from Count of Mortain.
    On the River Lynher near a clapper bridge; probably medieval.

    Norton
    Nortone / a: Iovin from Count of Mortain.
    Now Norton Barton.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    O

    Old Kea
    Landighe: Godwin from Count of Mortain.
    Norman font in the church.

    Otterham
    Otrham / Ottram: Richard from Count of Mortain.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    P

    Padstow
    Lanwenehoc / Languienoc: St. Petroc's Church from St. Michael's Church.
    Fishing town with narrow slate alleys and quays. Padstow is named for St. Petroc, who founded a monastery here in the 6th century.

    Patrieda
    Peret / Pedret: Count of Mortain.
    Now Patreida Barton.

    Pawton
    Pautone: Bishop of Exeter.
    Farm; Neolithic burial mounds on the downs.

    Pelynt
    Plunent: Algar from Count of Mortain.
    Attractive. 14th-15th century church with arcade of Tuscan columns.

    Pencarrow
    Penguare / Penquaro: Thurstan from Count of Mortain.
    Now Pencarrow Cross; 17th century manor house.

    Pendavey
    Pendavid: Boia the priest from Count of Mortain.

    Pendrim
    Paindran / dram:
    Lost.

    Penfound
    Penfou: Brian from Count of Mortain.
    Penfound Manor on one of Cornwall's oldest inhabited sites.

    Pengelly
    Pengelle / i: Ednoth, the pre-Conquest holder, from Count of Mortain.

    Pengold
    Panguol: Rabel from Count of Mortain.

    Penhallym
    Penhal / Pennalum: Richard from Count of Mortain. 20 goats.
    Farm.

    Penhalt
    Pennalt: Osferth, the pre-Conquest holder, from Count of Mortain.
    Penhalt Cliff overlooks Bude Bay.

    Penharget
    Pennehalgar: Tavistock Church.

    Penhawgar
    Pennhalgar / ahalgar: Reginald from Count of Mortain.
    Farm.

    Penheale
    Pennehel: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.
    Manor house.

    Penhole
    Polhal: Wulfsi from Count of Mortain.

    Penpell
    Penpel:
    Lost.

    Penpoll
    Paenpau / Penpau: Reginald from Count of Mortain.

    Penpont
    Penponte / a: Osferth, the pre-Conquest holder, from Count of Mortain.
    Only Penpont Water, a tributary of the River Inny, remains.

    Pentewan
    Bentewoin: Algar from Count of Mortain.
    On Mevagissey Bay. Tin from Pentewan Valley was once shipped from the harbour; there were tin works 50ft below sea level.

    Penventinue
    Penfontenio: Hamelin from Count of Mortain.

    Perranuthnoe
    Odenol: Brictric, the pre-Conquest holder, from Count of Mortain.
    Church with 15th century tower and a Norman font.

    Perranzabuloe
    Lanpiran: Held by the Canons of St. Pirans; before 1066 it was free. 3 hides. Land for 8 ploughs. 4 villagers, 8 smallholders, 2 slaves. Pasture; 8 cattle; 30 sheep. Value 12s; before, 40s. Berner holds land here from the Count of Mortain, who has taken away all stock from another hide, which Odo holds from St. Pirans.

    Philleigh
    Egleshos / Eglossos: Thurstan from Count of Mortain, formerly Earl Harold.
    'Cob' cottages made of straw and clay.

    Pigsdon
    Pigesdone / Pighesdona: Gotshelm.
    Farm.

    Click here for details Click here for details

    Pillaton
    Piletone / a: Reginald from Count of Mortain.
    Clapper Bridge near Pentille Castle.

    Polroad
    Polrode / a:
    Lost.

    Polscoe
    Polescat / Polschat / Polscat: Richard and Andrew from Count of Mortain. 20 unbroken mares, 240 castrated rams.
    Near Restormel Castle, originally Norman and rebuilt by the Dukes of Cornwall, the first of whom was the Black Prince.

    Polsue
    Polduh / Poldu: Richard from Count of Mortain.
    Manor farm.

    Polyphant
    Polefand / t: Nigel from Count of Mortain.
    On the edge of Bodmin Moor. Norman stone quarries are still being worked.

    Porthallow
    Portatlant: Odo from Count of Mortain.
    Holiday resort; formerly a fishing village.

    Poughill
    Pochehelle / Poccahetilla: William from Count of Mortain.
    Near the site of the Royalist victory at Stamford Hill.

    Poundstock
    Podestot / Pondestoch: Iowin from Count of Mortain.
    Norman church, rebuilt in the 15th century.

    Probus
    Lanbrebois / brabois: Canons of St. Probus from St. Michael's Church. 160 sheep.
    Georgian houses. Church, with Cornwall's highest tower, is dedicated to Saints Probus and Grace, a married couple.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    R

    Rame
    Rame: Ermenhald from Tavistock Church. 18 goats.
    Rame Head is the site of the ruined 14th century chapel of St. Michael's, once a landmark for sailors entering Sutton Pool.

    Raphael
    Raswale: Reginald from Count of Mortain, formerly Aelfeva.

    Rialton
    Rieltone / a: St. Michael's Church.
    The Old Hall, the summer residence of the last Prior of Bodmin (c.1542), has a wagon roof and holy well.

    Rillaton
    Risleston / Risllestona: Count of Mortain.
    On the River Lynher, opposite Rilla Mill.

    Rinsey
    Renti / s: Count of Mortain and Wulfward from him.
    Rinsey Head, overlooking Praa Sands; remains of medieval Pengersick Castle nearby.

    Roscarnon
    Roscarnau:
    Lost.

    Roscarrock
    Roscaret: Nigel and Alfred from Count of Mortain.
    Ruins of a manor house; 17th century farm buildings; chapel; holy well.

    Rosebenault
    Rosminuet:
    Lost.

    Rosecare
    Roschel: Berner from Count of Mortain.

    Rosecraddoc
    Recharedoc / Rekaradoc: Hamelin from Count of Mortain.
    Manor house.

    Roseworthy
    Ritwore / i: King's land, formerly Earl Harold.
    Now Roseworthy Barton; 18th century Methodist chapel of thatch and whitewash.

    bar.gif - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details

    S

    St. Buryan
    Eglosberrie / a: Canons of St. Buryans.
    Surrounded by Bronze and Iron Age relics including a stone circle, the Merry Maidens.

    St. Enoder
    Heglosenuder / Hecglosenuda: Count of Mortain from St. Petroc's Church.
    14-15th century church with a Norman font.

    St. Gennys
    Sainguinas / Sanwinas: Iovin from Count of Mortain.
    Holy well.

    St. Germans
    St. Germani / Scs German: Canons of St. Germans Church; Bishop of Exeter.
    Town. St. Germans was the seat of the Bishops of Cornwall, 926-1043. Church has a fine Norman west end and doorway.

    St Juliot
    Sanguiland / t: Thurstan from Count of Mortain.
    Only a church still bears the same name; restored by Thomas Hardy as a young architect (his wife, Emma, was the vicar's sister-in-law).

    St. Keverne
    Lannachebran: Canons of St. Achebran's from St. Michael's Church.
    Church with a tower-cum-spire which warns ships of a dangerous reef, The Manacles.

    St. Kew
    Lanehoc / Lantloho: King's land. Iovin from Count of Mortain, formerly Earl Harold.
    A Georgian rectory; slate cottages; Tregeare Rounds. Nearby is an Iron Age fort, with double ramparts.

    St. Michael's Mount
    Scs Michael / Michahel: Count of Mortain, formerly Brismar the priest.
    Island, castle and village named after St. Michael. The castle, built as a monastery, dates from 1135.

    St. Neot
    Neot / Nietes(s) tou: St. Neot's Church; Odo from Count of Mortain.
    Church with magnificent 16-17th century stained glass windows; holy well of St. Neot.

    St. Stephen's (by Launceston)
    Lanscauestone / a: St. Stephen's Church; Count of Mortain took a market from this manor and put it in his castle.
    District of Launceston; St. Stephen's Church.

    St. Winnow
    Sanwinuec / San Winnuc: Godfrey from Bishop of Exeter.
    Church with beautiful 15th century stained glass.

    Sheviock
    Savoich: Ermenhald from Tavistock Church.
    Slate cottages; medieval dovecote.

    Skewes
    Schewit / Eschewit:
    Lost.

    Stratton
    Stratone / a: Count of Mortain, formerly Bishop Osbern and Alfred the Marshal. 10 salthouses, 300 sheep.
    Almost a suburb of Poughill; inn with medieval timbering and a Tudor fireplace.

    Previous | Top | Home | Next

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved