Attractive town, strategically important since prehistoric times for its ford over the River Thames, crossed by the Conqueror on his way to take London.
|Walengeford / fort / Walingeford / Warengeford: King's land; Abingdon Church; Bishop of Salisbury; Bishop of Winchester; William FitzCorbucion; various king's thanes with Roger the Priest holding a church. Market.
Waltham St. Lawrence
Now Waltham St. Lawrence; site of a Roman temple nearby.
|Waltham: King's land, formerly Queen Edith.
Town; tiny Norman church. King Alfred was born here in 849.
|Wanetinz: King's land with William the Deacon holding third of church. Mill.
Warfield Hall; Warfield House; Warfield Chase; Warfield Park.
|Warwelt: King's land, formerly Queen Edith.
On the River Thames; Wargrave Manor.
|Weregrave: King's land, formerly Queen Edith. Mill, 3 fisheries (3000 eels).
Flint axes and bones of prehistoric animals were found here.
|Walsince: Bernard the Falconer. Mill.
Roman site nearby.
|Wachenesfeld: Abingdon Abbey, and Gilbert and Wimund from the Abbey.
Partly Norman church. Roman coins were found here.Welford local history site
|Waliford: Abingdon Abbey before and after 1066. 2 churches, 5 mills.
Near the site of a Roman villa. The church bell was made by Paul the Potter in 1282.
|Ceveslane: Abbess of Amesbury before and after 1066.
On Ginge Brook.
|Gainz: Abingdon Abbey before and after 1066, and Reginald from the Abbey. Mill.
Hagbourne Hill, site of a Roman burial ground.
|Hachebourne: Walter FitzOthere and Robert from Walter. Mill.
Church with a Norman doorway.
|Hannei: Walter Giffard and Osbern and Thoedoric from him. Mill.
|Henret: St. Alban's Abbey and Ernucion from the Abbey; Grimbald. Mill, church.
Attractive; surrounded by racing stables.
|Hildeslei / Hislelei / leu: Saswalo from Geoffrey de Mandeville.
|Lachinge(s): Hubert de Curzon from Henry de Ferrers.
|Westun: Abingdon Abbey and William from the Abbey. Church.
|Watecumbe: Geoffrey de Mandeville.
Now Whistley Green.
|Wiselei: Abingdon Abbey before and after 1066. Mill (250 eels), fishery (300 eels).
Church with Norman carvings. Arthur Tudor, Henry VIII's son, lived at Waltham Place.
|Waltham: Bishop of Durham, formerly Chertsey Abbey. Church.
Suburb of Reading.
|Witelei: Theodoric the Goldsmith. Fishery.
Willington's Farm; Willington Down Farm.
|Wibalditone: Nigel from Henry de Ferrers. Church.
Town dominated by William I's impregnable moated castle, a royal residence since the 11th century; the Long Walk in Windsor Great Park was created by Charles II. A prehistoric site nearby was occupied by the Romans followed by the Saxons. Eton College is across the Thames.
|Windesores: King's land. Fishery. Windsor Forest.
|Wenesfelle: Abingdon Abbey before and after 1066.
|Wintreborne / burne: King's land, formerly Queen Edith, and Theodoric from the king; Ranulf Flambard from Bishop of Salisbury; Kenmarchuc and Norman from Hascoit Musard.
Wokefield Park, now a school.
|Hocfelle / Offelle: King's land; a man-at-arms from Walter FitzOthere.
Woolhampton House; Old Mill House.
|Ollavintone: Henry de Ferrers. Mill.
Woolley Home Farm; Woolley House; Woolley House.
|Olvelei: William Peverel.
Near the site of a Roman villa.
|Olvricestone: Bishop of Winchester and Roger d'Ivry from him. 2 mills.
Wyld Court Farm.
|Wille: William from Gilbert de Bretteville.
Near the ruins of Godstow nunnery, built in 1138. The Trout Inn, famous for the peacocks in its gardens, dates from the same year.
|Winteham: Abingdon Abbey and Hubert from the Abbey.