St. Michael Church
Small church and a few buildings.
|Michaeliscerce / Michelescerca: Ansger Fower.|
Large; partly Norman house with traces of 14th century frescoes.
|Sanford / fort: Roger Whiting from Bishop of Coutances. Mill.|
|Sanford / forda: Ogis from Roger de Courseulles. Mill. 11 cattle.|
|Sanford / forda: William from Hugh d'Avranches. Mill.|
Sandford (in Wembdon)
|Sanford / Santfort: Ralph from Roger Arundel. 11 cattle, 23 pigs.|
Now Seavington St. Mary; Seavington St. Michael nearby.
|Seouenamentone: Athelney Church; Mauger from Count of Mortain; Siward from the king. Mill.|
Attractive. Thatched cottages. Bury Castle, near Selworthy Beacon, is an Iron Age camp.
|Seleurde: Ralph de Limesy, formerly Queen Edith. Mill.|
17th century Shapwick House.
|Sapeswich / Sapaeswica: Glastonbury Church and Roger de Courseulles, Alfred d'Epaignes and Warmund from the church.|
|Siredestone / tona: Robert Herecom from Roger de Courseulles.|
19th century Beauchamp Manor; traces of a medieval field system.
|Sceptone / tona: Count of Mortain.|
Town, prosperous in the 18th century. The Domesday Book and other public records were kept in the prison here for safe keeping during World War II.
|Sepetone / tona: Roger de Courseulles from Glastonbury Church. 2 mills (with Croscombe).|
|Sceptone / Sheptuna / Septona: Drogo from Count of Mortain. 2 mills. 23 pigs, 210 sheep.|
Calamine for the Bristol brass and zinc industries mined here in the 18th century.
|Sipeham: Robert from Roger de Courseulles.|
|Scobindare / Scobinalre: Bishop of Winchester.|
|Sordemaneforde: Brictric from William de Mohun. 11 goats.|
|Siwoldestone / tona: Ansger.|
|Scheligate / Schiligata: Robert of Gatemore from Roger Arundel. Mill. 10 cattle, 150 sheep.|
On Bearley Brook.
|Soche / Socca: Robert FitzIvo from Count of Mortain. 35 pigs.|
Market town; the county centre from 1278-1371, with a 17th century town hall and a market cross.
|Sumer / Summertone / Sumertona: King's land. Fisheries. 500 sheep.|
Below Cadbury Castle, one of England's finest Iron Age hill-forts; believed to have been King Arthur's Camelot.
|Sudcadeberie / Sutcadaberia / deberia: Bernard from Thurstan FitzRolf; Bernard Pancevolt, a clerk and an Englishman.|
Attractive; King Ina's Palace, a 14th century house, restored in the 19th century.
|Sudperet / Sutpedret / perret / petret / Sudperetone / Sutperettona: King's land, formerly King Edmund; Alfgeat the Priest from the king. Mill.|
|Spercheford / Sparkeforde: Fulcwin from Walter de Douai. Mill.|
Cloth fulling centre; Church with a 15th century bench-end carving of a fuller.
|Spachestone / Espachestona: Alfred d'Epaignes.|
Farm; manor house.
|Stalrewich / Estalrewicca: Robert from Roger de Courseulles.|
On the River Chew; 3 prehistoric stone circles nearby.
|Stantone / Estantona: King's land and Roger from the king. Mill.|
|Stantone / tona: Bath Church.|
17th century cottages round the church. Hestercombe House, headquarters of the Somerset Fire Brigade, garden designed by Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll.
|Staple / Estapla: Count of Mortain. Mill. 100 goats.|
|Stantune / Estantone / tuna: William de Mohun.|
|Stawelle / Estawella: Godescal from Glastonbury Church. 200 sheep.|
|Stawei / weia: Robert and Herbert from Alfred d'Epaignes.|
|Esturt: 2 porters from Montacute from Count of Mortain.|
Close to Bristol; manor house; manor farm.
|Stocheland(e): Ansketel from Roger de Courseulles; William de Mohun; Ralph de Reuilly from Ralph Pagnell. Mill.|
One of only 14 villages in Britain to be 'doubly thankful'; that is, to have seen the safe return of all its inhabitants who fought in both world wars.
|Stoche: Roger from William de Mohun; formerly Queen Edith; Alfward and his brothers, the pre-Conquest tenants, from the king.|
|Warverdinestoch / stoc: Richard de Les Andelys. Church.|
Ruins of a castle, probably 12th century, belonging to the de Curci family.
|Stoche / Estocha: William de Falaise. Mill. 250 sheep.|
|Stoche / Esthoca: Roger de Courseulles.|
Stoke St. Mary
|Stocha / Stoche / Estoca / Stoca: Bishop of Winchester.|
Stoke sub Hamdon
Now 2 villages, East and West Stoke; below Ham Hill, with one of Britain's largest hill-forts, traces of a Roman villa, and stone quarries.
|Stoca / Stoche / Stochet / Estocha / Estochet: William de Mohun; Mauger from Count of Mortain. Mill.|
|Stoche / Stoca: Bretel from Count of Mortain. Mill. 70 goats, 8 unbroken mares.|
Stone (in Exford)
|Estone / Estana: Roger de Courseulles.|
Stone (in Mudford)
|Stane / Stana: Reginald from Serlo de Burcy.|
Georgian Ston Easton Park.
|Estone / tona: Azelin from Bishop of Coutances; Gilbert FitzThorold; Manasseh Cook's wife. Mill.|
|Stoche / Stocca / Estoca: Drogo from Count of Mortain.|
On Wellow Brook.
|Liteltone / tona: Osmund from Bishop of Coutances. Mill. 200 sheep.|
|Stanwelle / Estanwella: Azelin from Bishop of Coutances.|
Stowey (in Oare) Lost.
Stratton on the Fosse
On the Roman Fosse Way; Downside public school.
|Stratone / Stretone / Stratona / Stretona: William de Monceaux from Bishop of Coutances. Mill. 27 unbroken mares.|
Street (in Winsham)
|Strate / Estrat / Estrart: Roger from William de Mohun. 4 oxen.|
Near the mouth of the River Parrett.
|Stragelle / Estragella: Rainward from Walter de Douai. 43 pigs.|
|Strenegestone / Strengestune / Strengestona / tuna: William from Roger de Courseulles; Ranulf from Alfred d'Epaignes. 200 sheep.|
Fine Norman church with wall-paintings, c.1300; Sutton Bingham Reservoir nearby.
|Sutone / tona: Roger Bushell from from Roger Arundel. Mill.|
|Sutone / tona: Roger de Courseulles from Glastonbury Church.|
Sutton Farm below Cadbury Hill.
|Sutone / tuna: Drogo from Count of Mortain. Mill.|
Lower Swainswick, part of Bath; Upper Swainswick village.
|Wiche / Wica: Nigel de Gournai from Bishop of Coutances; Alfred, the pre-Conquest holder from the king. Mill.|
|Suindune / duna: Ranulf from Roger de Courseulles. Mill.|
|Sewelle / wella: Bretel from Count of Mortain.|
Tudor manor in Bridgwater.
|Sideham: William from Roger Arundel.|
Lost. Flooded by Clatworthy Reservoir.
|Sindercome: Hugh from Thurstan FitzRolf.|