[home] [the domesday book] [background] [links] [FAQs] [glossary] [contact]

compiling the domesday book | contents | landowners | domesday history

Related Links

  • Glossary
  • Place name origins
  • Domesday landowners
  • How the Domesday Book was compiled
  • What information is in the Domesday Book?
  • How many Domesday places exist now?
  • Norfolk D-G

    Click here for details Click here for details
    D

    Denton
    Dentuna: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; Eudo FitzSpirwic. ½ mill.
    Broadland.

    Denver
    Danefaela / -fella: William de Warenne and Hugh from him. 2 fisheries.
    Fenland; Denver Sluice, the key to the drainage system of the South Fenlands.

    Deopham
    D(i)epham: William de Warenne; Ralph de Beaufour. 17 pigs, 32 goats.

    Dersingham
    Dersincham: Ricwold from Eudo FitzSpirwic; Peter de Valognes and Anand from him. Mill, 2 salthouses, fishery. 646 sheep.
    Small town near the coast and Sandringham Estate.

    Dickleburgh
    Dicclesburc: St. Edmund's who held before and after 1066. Church.
    Imposing perpendicular church; birthplace of the watercolourist George Cattermole (1800-68).

    Didlington
    Dudelingatuna: William de Warenne; Ralph de Limésy. Mill, fishery.
    On the River Wissey; weir; Watermill Farm.

    Dilham
    Dilham / Dillam: Count Alan; Robert Malet; Roger Bigot; Abbot of Holme.
    Near Broad Fen.

    Diss
    Dice: Roger Bigot from the king. Church. 5 goats.
    Attractive market town built around a mere. The Poet Laureate John Skelton, tutor to Henry VIII, was rector here (1504-29).

    Ditchingham
    Dicingaham: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers. 2 mills. 55 goats.
    Early 18th century hall with a garden by Capability Brown.

    Docking
    Doching(h)e: Bishop of Bayeux; Ricwold from Eudo FitzSpirwic. Cow, 17 pigs.
    The Roman Catholic martyr, Henry Walpole was baptised here c.1588.

    Downham Market
    Dun(e)ham: William de Warenne; Roger Bigot; Abbot of Ely.
    Town with a market reputedly established before the Conquest; remains of a Roman road.

    Drayton
    Draituna: Ralph de Beaufour. Church.
    Town adjoining Norwich.

    Dunham
    Dumham / Dunham: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; Ralph de Tosny; Reynold the priest with the daughter of Payne from Edmund FitzPayne. ½ market, mill, 3 beehives. 19 cattle, 17 pigs.
    Now 2 villages, Little Dunham, and Great Dunham village with a flint, mainly Saxon, church.

    Dunston
    Dunestun(a) / Dustuna: Count Alan; Roger Bigot; Godric the steward; Ralph de Beaufour. 1 1/3 mills.
    Queen Anne manor house.

    Dunton
    Dontuna: King's land. Mill.

    Dykebeck
    Hidichetorp / Idikethorp: Ralph Baynard. ¼ church. 22 pigs.
    Dyke Beck; and Dykebeck Hall.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    E

    Earlham
    Erlham: Wulfgeat from the king, in the custody of Godric; Count Alan. Mill.
    Part of Norwich on the River Yare; part of the University of East Anglia.

    Earsham
    Ersam / Hersam: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers. 2 mills. 3 horses at the hall.
    Mill.

    East Beckham
    Beccheham / Bech(e)am: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Roger Bigot; Bishop William. Church.

    East Carleton
    Carletuna / Karletuna: Walter and Ulf from Roger Bigot; Ralph de Beaufour; Ranulf Peverel and Waring from him. 2 churches.
    Hall, a Cheshire Home.

    East Dereham
    Derham: Abbot of Ely before and after 1066; Oder from Ralph de Beaufour. 4 mills.
    Town with some industry on a tributary of the River Wensum.

    Easton (near Norwich)
    Estuna: Count Alan.
    On the River Tud; site of the Royal Norwich Showground.

    Easton (in Scottow)
    Estuna:
    Lost.

    East Ruston
    Ristuna: Geoffrey from Ralph Baynard. 51 goats. Mill.
    Birthplace of the famous academic Richard Porson, in 1759.

    East Tuddenham
    Easttudenham / Todeneham / Toddenham / Tudenham: Count Alan; Hermer de Ferrers; Ralph de Beaufour. ½ mill, church. 160 sheep.
    Church with many 13th century and early features.

    East Walton
    Waltuna: Count Alan; Robert de Vaux from Roger Bigot; Ralph de Tosny. Mill, Church.
    Church with a Norman tower.

    East Winch
    Estuuininc / Eastwninc / Estuunic / Estwnic: King's land, in the custody of Godric, also Bordin from Annex: of Hermer; Roger Bigot, and Robert de Vaux from him; Ralph de Tosny. Fishery, 1½ salthouses, ½ church.
    Ruins of the moated manor of Sir William Howard, of the family which became dukes of Norfolk in 1483; church with Norman features.

    Eaton
    Aietona / tuna / Etona / Ettuna / ttune: King's land, in the custody of Godric. Mill, church.
    Part of Norwich near the River Yare; tumuli; golf course.

    Eccles (near Attleborough)
    Eccles: Bishop William. Mill.
    Now Eccles Road.

    Eccles (in Hempstead)
    Eccles / Heccles: Abbot of Holme before and after 1066; Aelmer FitzGodwin
    . Also called Eccles on Sea; ruined church on the beach.

    Edgefield
    Edisfelda: Peter de Valognes; Humphrey from Ranulf, brother of Ilger. Mill, 2 beehives.
    Near the River Geet. Richard Lubbock, author of Fauna in Norfolk was rector here for 40 years in the 19th century.

    Egmere
    Edgamere / Egemere / Estgamera: King's land; Frederic from William de Warenne; Morel from Bishop William.

    Ellingham (near Loddon)
    Elincham: King's land in the charge of William de Noyers. Church.
    Clock tower (1855) with living accommodation at its base.

    Elsing
    Helsinga: Wymer from William de Warenne. 2 mills, church, 12 beehives. 10 cattle.
    Mill at Mill Street nearby. The Tudor moated manor was held by descendants of Wymer until 1958.

    Erpingham
    Erpincham / Herpincham: Roger Bigot; Abbot of Holme; Drogo de Beuvrière; Humphrey from Ranulf brother of Ilger. Church.
    Church with a brass memorial to Sir Thomas Erpingham, companion of Henry V at Agincourt. His family is said to have arrived with King William.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    F

    Fakenham
    Fac(h)enham / Fagan(a)ham / Fagenham / Fangeham / Phacham: King's land. 3 mills, ½ salthouse, flour mill. 200 sheep.
    Pretty market town on the River Wensum. John of Gaunt was Lord of the Manor here in the 14th century.

    Felbrigg
    Felebruge: Roger Bigot and Merton from him.
    Felbrigg Hall, 1620, with a fine park probably landscaped by Repton.

    Felmingham
    Felmi(n)cham: Asford from the king; Roger Bigot; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066. Mill, church.

    Felthorpe
    Faltorp / Felethor(p) / torp: King's land; Count Alan; Richard from Ralph de Beaufour; Walter Giffard.

    Feltwell
    Fatwella / Feltwella: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers; William de Warenne; Abbot of Ely before and after 1066. 2 churches, mill, 2 fisheries.
    Fenland; 2 churches, one with Norman side walls and arch.

    Fersfield
    Ferseuella / Feru(ess)ella: Alsi, King Edward's thane, from the king, in the custody of Godric.
    Church with an effigy of Sir Robert de Bois, Lord of the Manor in 1285.

    Field Dalling
    Dalli(n)ga: King's land; Count Alan; Roger Bigot; Robert de Verly.
    Straggling; Manor House Farm.

    Filby
    Filebey / Phileb(e)y: Thorold from William de Warenne; Stanard from Roger Bigot; Abbot of Holme before and after 1066; William d'Écouis; Rabel the engineer. 10½ salthouses.
    On Filby Broad; churchyard with a tombstone to a couple whose combined age was 200.

    Fincham
    F..ham / P(h)incham: William de Warenne and Hugh and William Brant from him; Hermer de Ferrers; St. Edmund's; Abbot of Ely before and after 1066; Reynald FitzIvo; Ralph Baynard, formerly Aethelgyrth, a free woman. ¼ church. 4 cattle, 175 sheep.
    On a Roman road; Moat House with a square moated island, possibly a medieval cattle enclosure.

    Fishley
    Fiscele: King's alnd, in the custody of Godric; Abbot of Holme; William d'Écouis.
    Church with a pre-Conquest tower and Norman doorway.

    Flitcham
    Flicham / Phlicham / Plic(e)ham: Bishop of Bayeux; William de Warenne; Robert and Ranulf FitzWalter from Roger Bigot. 4 mills, church. 3 oxen.
    Remains of Flitcham Abbey; church with Norman arcading.

    Flockthorpe
    Floc(he)thor(p) / Flokethorp:
    Lost.

    Flordon
    Florenduna: Roger Bigot from Bishop of Bayeux; Count Alan; Roger Bigot; Godric the Steward.
    Church with Saxon windows.

    Fodderstone
    Fo(r)testhorp / Photestorp: Abbot of Ely before and after 1066; Ranulf from Reynald FitzIvo.
    Now Fodderstone Gap.

    Fordham
    Ford(e)ham / Forham / Phor(d)ham: Abbot of Ely; St. Benedict's of Ramsey; Ralph Baynard.
    Fenland; on the River Great Ouse cut-off Channel.

    Forncett
    Foneseta / Forne(s) / seta: Roger Bigot; Bishop Osbern.
    Now 2 villages, Forncett St. Mary and St. Peter. Dorothy Wordsworth lived at St. Peter, with her uncle the rector, for 3 years.

    Foulden
    Fugalduna / Fulenduna: Ribald from Count Alan; William from William de Warenne; Walter Giffard. 2 mills, 2 fisheries.
    Common.

    Foulsham
    Folsa(m) / Folsham: King's land before and after 1066 and Walter Giffard from the king in the custody of Godric. 2 churches, mill. 12 cattle, 400 pigs, 50 goats, 13 sesters of honey.
    Small town; moated site.

    Foxley
    Foxle: Godric from Count Alan. 7 beehives.
    Manor Farm; moated site.

    Framingham
    Fram(m)ingaham: King's land and 2 Burgesses of Norwich from the king; Roger Bigot from Bishop of Bayeux; Roger Bigot. Godric the steward. Church.
    Now 2 villages, Framingham Earl, whose church has a Saxon chancel and windows, and a Norman tower, and Framingham Pigot, where the church retains a Norman piscina.

    Fransham
    Frande(s)ham / Frouuesham: Gilbert from William de Warenne; Ralph de Tosny. 3 mills.
    Now 2 villages, Great and Little Fransham.

    Freethorpe
    Frietorp / Torp: King's land, in the custody of Godric; Bishop William; Rabel the Engineer.
    Remote; Broadland. The church has a Squire's pew with a fireplace.

    Frenze
    Frense / Frisa: Hubert from Robert Malet; St. Edmund's. Mill.
    One of the country's smallest churches.

    Fring
    Frainghe / Frenga / e: Count Eustace; William de Warenne; Bishop William.

    Fritton
    Fred / Fridetuna / Frie(s)tuna / Frithtuna: Robert Malet and Warin Cook from him; Roger Bigot and Ranulf from him; Robert de Vaux from St. Edmund's; Gifard from Robert FitzCorbucion.
    Green; church has a Saxon/Norman tower.

    Fulmodeston
    Fulmotestuna: Walter from William de Warenne. Church, beehive.
    Ruined church.

    Fundenhall
    Fundahala / ehala: Roger Bigot from Earl Hugh; Roger Bigot and Osbert from him. 9 cattle, 48 goats.

    images/bar.jpg - 1374 Bytes

    Click here for details Click here for details
    G

    Garboldisham
    Berboldesham: King's land, in the custody of Godric.
    Some houses built of clay lump, large blocks of unfired clay once common in South Norfolk; sections of the Devil's Dyke nearby.

    Garveston
    Gerolfestuna / Giro(l)festuna: Hermer de Ferrers.
    Moated site.

    Gasthorpe
    Gadesthorp / Gatesthor(p): King's land, in the custody of Godric; a certain Englishman from St. Edmund's.

    Gateley
    Catelea: Bishop William; Hugh de Montfort; Ralph from Peter de Valognes.
    Church with some Saxon work.

    Gayton
    Gaituna: William de Warenne and Ralph from him, formerly a free woman, Aelfava; St. Stephen de Caen; Wulfwy from William d'Écouis; Roger from Hugh de Montfort. ½ mill.
    Lake.

    Gayton Thorpe
    T(h)orp: Bishop of Bayeux; Robert from Roger Bigot; Ralph de Tosny. ½ church.
    Church with an 11th century tower and Saxon splayed windows.

    Gaywood
    Gaiuude: Bishop William. Mill, 21 salthouses. 100 sheep.
    Part of King's Lynn on the Gaywood River.

    Gillingham
    Kildincham / Gillingaham: King's land, in the charge of William de Noyers. Church.
    By Gillingham Marshes.

    Gimingham
    Giming(e)ham / Gimingheham: William de Warenne. Church, 4 mills. 30 goats, 7 wild mares.
    Church with a watching window over the porch.

    Gissing
    Gersinga / Gessinga: King's land, in the custody of Godric; William from Robert Malet; Roger Bigot; St. Edmund's and Fulcher from it.
    Moated sites; church with a Saxon tower.

    Glandford
    Glamforda / Glanforda: King's land; Walter Giffard.
    Model village built c.1900 by Sir Alfred Jodrell.

    Glosthorpe
    Glorestorp:
    Lost.

    Gnatingdon
    Nettinghetuna:
    Lost.

    Godwick
    Goduic: Ralph de Tosny.
    Ancient village site nearby; a barn; ruined church tower.

    Gooderstone
    Godestuna: Godric the Steward. 5 mills, fishery.

    Gorleston
    Gorlestuna: King's land. 3 salthouses. 300 sheep.
    Suburb of Great Yarmouth and a seaside resort, also known as Gorleston-on-Sea, with a church on the site of a small wooden church built by Felix, Bishop of Dunwich, in the 17th century.

    Great Bircham
    Brecham: William d'Écouis and Roger d'Evreux from him; Ralph de Beaufour. Church.
    Line of Bronze Age Wessex barrows nearby.

    Great Cressingham
    Cresincghaham / Cressingaham: Count Alan; Bishop William and Ralph from him; Ralph de Tosny. 4 mils, 3 fisheries, 3 churches.
    Ruins of an ancient priory, built in 1545, at Priory Farm.

    Great Ellingham
    Elincham / Helincham / Heldingham: Warenbold from Hermer de Ferrers. Church. 6 mares with foals, 8 cattle.
    Common; moated sites; decorated church.

    Great Hockham
    Hocham: Roger Bigot. 220 sheep.
    Now Great Hockham.

    Great Melton
    In Duabus Meltinus, Meltuna(na): Godric the steward; Waring from Ranulf Peverel.
    All Saints Church has Saxon walling in the chancel and nave, and the Saxon tower of another church stands in the same churchyard.

    Great Moulton
    Muletuna: Count Alan; Roger Bigot and Mauger from him. Church.
    Windmill; church with some Norman features.

    Great Ryburgh
    Reieborh / Reienburh: William de Warenne and Peter from him; Ralph the Fat from Peter de Valognes. Mill.

    Great Snarehill
    Snareshella / hul: Roger Bigot; Fulcher the Breton from St. Edmund's. ½ fishery.
    Great Snarehill Hill.

    Great Snoring
    Snaringa: King's land, in the custody of Godric. 2 mills. 180 sheep.
    Rectory, 1525, formerly the manor house.

    Grensvill
    Grenesvill:
    Lost.

    Gresham
    Gersam / Cressam: William de Warenne; Roger Bigot. Mill.
    Foundations of Gresham Castle, a fortified manor house and moat, ancestral home of John Gresham, founder of the Royal Exchange in 1566.

    Gressenhall
    Gressenhala: Wymer from William de Warenne. 3 mills. 11 cattle, 30 goats.
    Rural life museum, built in 1777 and once a workhouse.

    Grimston
    Erimestuna / Grimestuna: Bishop of Bayeux; William de Warenne; Robert de Vaux from Roger Bigot; Berner the Crossbowman. 3 mills, ½ salthouse.
    Common; moated site; a Roman villa site.

    Griston
    Gres / Gristuna: King's land, also in the custody of Godric, formerly a free woman; William de Warenne; Roger Bigot; Ralph Baynard; Osbert from John nephew of Waleran. Church, 10 beehives. 30 pigs, 10 cattle.
    The Elizabethan Hall, now a farmhouse, is said to have been the home of the Babes in the Wood, murdered in nearby Wayland, or Wailing Wood. The story dates from Stuart days.

    Guestwick
    Geg(h)estuiet: Bishop William; Hagni.
    Partly Saxon, partly Norman church tower.

    Guist
    G(r)egeseta / sete: Bishop William; Walter Giffard.
    Model village, laid out last century by the family of Thomas Cook and Son.

    Gunthorpe
    Gunatorp / Gune(s)torp: King's land; Peter de Valognes.
    Gunthorpe Hall with an attractive park and lake.

    Gunton
    Gunetune: Count Alan; Bishop William and William de Noyers from him. 2 mills.

    Guton
    Gutheketuna: Osbert from Tihel le Breton. Mill. 14 beehives.
    Guton Hall; Hall cottages.

    The Domesday Book, 1086

    © 1999-2017 domesdaybook.co.uk. All rights reserved