Late Saxon church; timber-framed manor house.
|Cadenham: Ely Abbey before and after 1066.|
Now 2 villages, Great and Little Hallingbury. Hallingbury Place, a thatched cottage in Hallingbury, was the home of William Parker, Baron Morley, who discovered the Gunpowder Plot. Wallbury Camp, an Iron Age settlement, is in Little Hallingbury.
|Halingeb(er)ia / -heberia / Hallingeberia: Bishop of London; Walter from Swein of Essex; Roger d'Auberville; Martel and Hugh from Geoffrey de Mandeville. 2 mills, 10 beehives. 2 foals, 32 goats.|
Town. Remains of a 'smock' windmill on the site of 13th century 'Cheeping' market. Stansted Hall was the home of the Bourchier family, including Thomas, the 15th century cardinal who crowned Edward IV, Richard III and Henry VII.
|Hal(te)steda: William de Warenne; 22 freemen from Richard FitzGilbert; Wulfwin claims from Waleran; a freeman claims from Alfred who held it from Richard FitzGilbert. 3 mills, 2 beehives.|
Now 3 villages, East, South and West Hanningfield.
|Haningefelda: Richard FitzThorold from Bishop of Bayeux; Wulfbert and Ranulf from William de Warenne; Berengar from Ralph Baynard; Ranulf from Robert FitzCorbucion.|
New Town, adjacent to the medieval clothing town. Market; sports centre.
|Herlaua: St. Edmund's Abbey before and after 1066; Geoffrey from Count Eustace; Thorgils from Eudo the Steward; Richard from Ranulf, brother of Ilger. Mill, 7 beehives. 8 cobs, 43 goats, 3 foals.|
|Hasing(h)ebroc: FitzThorold from Bishop of Bayeux; Thorold from Swein of Essex.|
The church is the nave of an ancient priory church founded by Ranulf Peverel.
|Ha(d)felda: Bishop of Bayeux; Ranulf Peverel and Serlo, Arnulf and Richard from him. 5 men-at-arms. 2 mills. 5 cobs, 4 foals, 5 cows, 7 calves, 20 goats.|
Havering Park; manor house.
|Hauelingas / Haueringas: King's land; Westminster Abbey. Mill. 160 pigs, 269 sheep.|
|Hac(he)uuella / Hechuuella: Godfrey from Swein of Essex; Pirot from Eudo the Steward; Eudo the Steward. 4 beehives. 6 cobs.|
|Halesheia / Halesleia: Serlo and Godric from Ranulf Peverel. 4 cows.|
Elizabethan manor house, Boblow Hall.
|Bumesteda / Bunsteda: Aethelhelm from Aubrey de Vere; Edwy a freeman, claims from Robert Blunt. 5 beehives. Foal, 5 cobs, 40 goats.|
Dick Turpin, highwayman, was born at the 17th century inn. William Harvey, discoverer of blood circulation, is buried in the church.
|Hansteda: Robert de Vatteville from Richard FitzGilbert.|
Broad green; long, moat-like pond.
|Henham: Ralph Baynard; formerly Aethelgyth, a free woman; 2 freemen claim from Ralph Baynard. 10 beehives. 8 cobs.|
Now the hamlet of Great Henny, and locality of Little Henny.
|Hanies / Heni(es): Thorold from Ranulf Peverel; Roger from John FitzWaleran; Robert de Vaux from Roger Bigot. Mill, 3 beehives. 5 cobs, 9 cows with calves.|
Heybridge (formerly Tidwoldington)
Part of the borough of Maldon; Roman-bricked Norman church.
|Tidwoldituna: Canons of St. Paul's before and after 1066. Mill, salthouse, 3 beehives. 150 sheep.|
|Hecham: Peter de Valognes. 2 beehives. 15 cattle, 1 ox.|
|Estre: Geoffrey de Mandeville. 17 beehives.|
London suburb; church where Roman coins were found.
|Hacheleia / Hocheleia: Barking Abbey before and after 1066; Godbold, Odo and Payne from Swein of Essex. 3 mills, 10 beehives. 4 cobs, 300 sheep, 53 goats.|
Now the village of Great Holland, and Holland-on-Sea, part of Clacton.
|Ho(i)landa: Adelulf from Count Eustace; Leofstan from Walter de Douai.|
Now the hamlet of East Horndon, and West Horndon, absorbed in Ingrave. Anne Boleyn's head is said to lie in East Horndon church.
|Tor(n)induna: Bishop of Bayeux; Siric from Swein of Essex; Drogo from William Peverel. 5 cows.|
Overlooking the Thames estuary.
|Hornindune: William from Bishop of London; Warner from Count Eustace; Payne from Swein of Essex; Hugh de St. Quentin; Edmund, son of Algot; Godwin Woodhen holds land Hugh de St. Quentin held from the king; the king claims from Godwin Woodhen.|
|Ersham, Hers(h)am: Battle Abbey; Aethelhelm from Aubrey de Vere; Widelard from Richard FitzGilbert; Widelard from the king. 3 beehives.|
Now Housham Tye.
|Ouesham: Richard from William de Warenne; Roger from Ralph de Tosny. 3 beehives. Calf.|
|Hobruge: FitzBrian from Bishop of London; Richard from Robert Gernon. Mill. 24 goats.|
The Howe, a manor house near Halsted.
|Weninchou / Weninghou: Germund from Richard FitzGilbert. 32 goats.|
Hunt's Hall, formerly Pooley
|Polheia: William de Warenne. Mill, 2 beehives.|
Suburb of Brentwood.
|Atahoi: Battle Abbey. 4 beehives. 3 cobs, 19 cattle, 92 pigs.|